AFRICA/TANZANIA - "Let us wait to have more information before speaking out about the attack in Arusha"
Dar es Salaam (Agenzia Fides) - "We need to have precise information before expressing ourselves about what happened, because the situation is very delicate," say to Fides Agency sources of the local Church from Tanzania, where on Sunday, May 5 a bombing at the inauguration ceremony of a Catholic parish in Arusha, at least two people were killed while dozens injured.
At the ceremony His Exc. Mgr. Francisco M. Padilla, Apostolic Nuncio to Tanzania was present, who was unhurt.
According to what was reported to Fides Agency, Mgr. Padilla is still in Arusha where he is meeting with the local clergy.
"It is true that in recent months we have witnessed incidents of violence with possible religious motivations, but at the moment until we have certain elements in this respect we cannot express ourselves in this sense" our sources say. "In general we can say that the local Muslim leadership is opposed to violence, and that those who commit the attacks are mostly extremist groups who come from outside of Tanzania." "To try to reduce religious tensions a meeting between Christian and Muslim religious leaders is planned" conclude our sources.
Local police said they have arrested 6 people, 4 of which are Saudi nationals, in connection with yesterday’s attack. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 06/05/2013)
- 2015-11-10 - Start negotiations to overcome the crisis after the cancellation of the vote in Zanzibar
- 2015-10-29 - The elections in Zanzibar revoked due to "serious irregularities"
- 2015-10-06 - Appeal from Christian leaders: "No to ethnic or religious manipulations before the vote"
- 2015-06-19 - Bishop of Mpanda to the young: "Go and vote in the October elections"
- 2015-03-31 - Constitutional referendum at risk for the controversy over Islamic Courts
- 2015-02-18 - AFRICA/TANZANIA – Kidnapping of one year old albino toddler triggers indignation
- 2014-10-17 - Activities and programs for children and adolescents infected with HIV
- 2014-08-06 - Some Tanzanian citizens arrested in connection with the assaults in Lamu, causing 100 deaths
- 2014-07-12 - The Bishops to the constituents: "You have a moral duty to give the Country a new constitution"
- 2014-06-25 - AFRICA/TANZANIA – A Tanzanian religious woman killed during a street robbery