AFRICA/TANZANIA - "Let us wait to have more information before speaking out about the attack in Arusha"
Dar es Salaam (Agenzia Fides) - "We need to have precise information before expressing ourselves about what happened, because the situation is very delicate," say to Fides Agency sources of the local Church from Tanzania, where on Sunday, May 5 a bombing at the inauguration ceremony of a Catholic parish in Arusha, at least two people were killed while dozens injured.
At the ceremony His Exc. Mgr. Francisco M. Padilla, Apostolic Nuncio to Tanzania was present, who was unhurt.
According to what was reported to Fides Agency, Mgr. Padilla is still in Arusha where he is meeting with the local clergy.
"It is true that in recent months we have witnessed incidents of violence with possible religious motivations, but at the moment until we have certain elements in this respect we cannot express ourselves in this sense" our sources say. "In general we can say that the local Muslim leadership is opposed to violence, and that those who commit the attacks are mostly extremist groups who come from outside of Tanzania." "To try to reduce religious tensions a meeting between Christian and Muslim religious leaders is planned" conclude our sources.
Local police said they have arrested 6 people, 4 of which are Saudi nationals, in connection with yesterday’s attack. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 06/05/2013)
- 2013-09-18 AFRICA/TANZANIA - The conditions of the priest attacked with acid remain serious. "Why is the Church attacked?" asks the Bishop
- 2013-09-16 AFRICA/TANZANIA - The priest attacked with acid in Zanzibar transferred to Dar es Salaam
- 2013-09-03 AFRICA/TANZANIA - The Country commits itself to prohibiting child labor in gold mines
- 2013-05-22 AFRICA/TANZANIA - "The Church is object of persecution but the government does not intervene"
- 2013-05-10 AFRICA/TANZANIA - "Ban on religious hate speech" interfaith commitment after the attack in Arusha
- 2013-05-07 AFRICA/TANZANIA – Attack in Arusha: the testimony of the Apostolic Nuncio to Fides
- 2013-05-06 AFRICA/TANZANIA - "Let us wait to have more information before speaking out about the attack in Arusha"
- 2013-02-26 AFRICA/TANZANIA - Music to promote tolerance, but Christians feel under fire
- 2013-02-20 AFRICA/TANZANIA - Today funeral of Catholic priest killed last Sunday
- 2013-02-18 ARICA/TANZANIA - Islamist extremist groups warn Christians: “The coming Easter will be one of disaster”