AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Urgent mediation of the church, the country still in violence for political clashes
Caracas (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops' Conference of Venezuela (CEV) has expressed its readiness to facilitate dialogue between the government and the opposition to overcome the moment of political polarization in the country after the elections on April 14. "We believe it is our mission to help dialogue and reconciliation, to find ways to peace, so we are willing to help facilitate the dialogue between the two sides," said the president of the CEV, Mgr. Diego Padron .
In a note sent to Fides, the bishops also spoke of the clash which happened last Tuesday in the National Assembly between opposition MPs and members of the Chavez government, after the president of the chamber had still denied the right to speak to the members of opposition.
"Physical aggression of some deputies of the National Assembly is an act of violence that causes sadness and shame, Venezuela does not deserve these deplorable scenes," reads the Bishops’ statement .
"The serious problems of the Country (...) must be solved in the understanding between the parties, because no one is self-sufficient to solve the country's problems," says the document. We must abandon "arrogance, prejudice and unfounded accusations, because with abusive language the population may carry out deplorable social reactions." "We support the request of a majority of Venezuelans, to cease repression, harassment and unfair dismissal of civil servants, in addition to violence for political reasons," wrote the Bishops. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 03/05/2013)
- 2015-03-03 - Classes suspended in the University of Tachira, false accusations made against the Catholic University
- 2015-02-27 - The Bishops: "Stop murderous violence!"
- 2015-02-25 - More violence and protests: 6 dead in six days of demonstrations
- 2015-02-24 - Growing tension in the capital, Cardinal Urosa denounces murder of 3 students
- 2015-02-20 - Police arrest Mayor of Caracas, for Archbishop Lückert “proof of dictatorship ”
- 2015-01-31 - Four churches attacked in Mérida
- 2015-01-30 - Mgr. Parra robbed during a parish meeting: "Money is spent on many things, but not on safety"
- 2015-01-13 - Dialogue to end the crisis: the exhortation of the Episcopal Conference
- 2015-01-12 - Shops are empty: Cardinal Urosa calls on the government to act quickly and urges to remain calm
- 2015-01-08 - AMERICA/VENEZUELA – Assembly of Bishops: dialogue to end the crisis and the necessity to find agreed solutions