AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Urgent mediation of the church, the country still in violence for political clashes
Caracas (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops' Conference of Venezuela (CEV) has expressed its readiness to facilitate dialogue between the government and the opposition to overcome the moment of political polarization in the country after the elections on April 14. "We believe it is our mission to help dialogue and reconciliation, to find ways to peace, so we are willing to help facilitate the dialogue between the two sides," said the president of the CEV, Mgr. Diego Padron .
In a note sent to Fides, the bishops also spoke of the clash which happened last Tuesday in the National Assembly between opposition MPs and members of the Chavez government, after the president of the chamber had still denied the right to speak to the members of opposition.
"Physical aggression of some deputies of the National Assembly is an act of violence that causes sadness and shame, Venezuela does not deserve these deplorable scenes," reads the Bishops’ statement .
"The serious problems of the Country (...) must be solved in the understanding between the parties, because no one is self-sufficient to solve the country's problems," says the document. We must abandon "arrogance, prejudice and unfounded accusations, because with abusive language the population may carry out deplorable social reactions." "We support the request of a majority of Venezuelans, to cease repression, harassment and unfair dismissal of civil servants, in addition to violence for political reasons," wrote the Bishops. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 03/05/2013)
- 2015-11-26 - Tension in the capital, Cardinal Urosa: "State officials must ask for peace"
- 2015-11-23 - With the closure of borders many children are unlikely to make their First Communion
- 2015-11-11 - The Bishops call for elections: "Free vote, essential to strengthen democracy"
- 2015-09-22 - The National Assembly of the PMS: solidarity with our brothers in the East
- 2015-09-18 - The National Assembly of Pastoral Care: Renew enthusiasm in evangelization
- 2015-09-17 - Crisis with Colombia: "Governments have not done their best to solve the crisis", said Mgr. Padron
- 2015-09-07 - Poverty and precariousness force people to seek food in the garbage
- 2015-09-01 - The Bishops on the situation of conflict with Colombia: "Human rights are the same for all"
- 2015-08-12 - No social communications no democracy Bishop Lückert León speaks about the media
- 2015-08-11 - Drugs are lacking in the country, some use those for animals