ASIA/IRAQ - Young Christians organize markets to pay for the trip to the next WYD
Baghdad (Agenzia Fides) - On Wednesday, May 1 at the Chaldean Church of St. Joseph in Baghdad the do-it-yourself market organized by young Iraqi Christians was inaugurated in order to find funds to support the expenses of the trip to Rio de Janeiro, where they themselves will attend at the end of July to participate in the next World Youth Day (WYD). The original fund-raising initiative lasts for a few days and could represent a pilot project to be re-launched in other churches scattered throughout the Country. On the pavilions of the small fair, which saw right from the beginning a strong turnout of buyers, one can find groceries, clothes, electronic products.
Economic difficulties, hardships and sufferings that mark the life of the Christian communities in Iraq make the desire of young people baptized concrete and live a joyful experience of prayer and encounter with Pope Francis and with new friends from all over the world. Raising funds through the market has seen the involvement and participation of young Christians belonging to different denominations, who thus have testified in a simple and concrete manner their unity as disciples of Jesus Christ.
According to the data supplied by Ankawa, it is expected that the World Youth Day in Rio de Janeiro will be attended by at least 170 young Iraqi Christians from the provinces of Baghdad, Kirkuk and Dohuk. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 03/05/2013).
- 2014-12-18 - The Islamic State turns the monastery of St. George into a prison, the cross on the dome removed
- 2014-12-17 - Caritas Iraq intensifies aid for 6 thousand refugee families in Dohuk
- 2014-12-16 - The autonomous region of Kurdistan includes Syriac and Armenian among the official languages
- 2014-12-15 - Solidarity towards Christians: the governor of Kirkuk proclaims December 25 a public Holiday
- 2014-12-13 - President Barzani listens to minorities: need to review the composition of the Electoral Commission
- 2014-12-12 - Iraqi Kurdistan: even Christian politicians criticize the composition of the electoral Commission
- 2014-12-12 - Chaldean Patriarch proposes three days of fasting to ask refugees to return to their homes
- 2014-12-02 - ASIA/IRAQ – Churches in Mosul are used as prisons by jihadist of the Caliphate
- 2014-11-27 - The Chaldean Archbishop of Kirkuk: unrealistic and wrong to dream of an autonomous enclave for Christians in the Nineveh Plain
- 2014-11-25 - The jihadists of the Islamic State destroy the convent of the Sisters of the Sacred Heart in Mosul