ASIA/IRAQ - Young Christians organize markets to pay for the trip to the next WYD
Baghdad (Agenzia Fides) - On Wednesday, May 1 at the Chaldean Church of St. Joseph in Baghdad the do-it-yourself market organized by young Iraqi Christians was inaugurated in order to find funds to support the expenses of the trip to Rio de Janeiro, where they themselves will attend at the end of July to participate in the next World Youth Day (WYD). The original fund-raising initiative lasts for a few days and could represent a pilot project to be re-launched in other churches scattered throughout the Country. On the pavilions of the small fair, which saw right from the beginning a strong turnout of buyers, one can find groceries, clothes, electronic products.
Economic difficulties, hardships and sufferings that mark the life of the Christian communities in Iraq make the desire of young people baptized concrete and live a joyful experience of prayer and encounter with Pope Francis and with new friends from all over the world. Raising funds through the market has seen the involvement and participation of young Christians belonging to different denominations, who thus have testified in a simple and concrete manner their unity as disciples of Jesus Christ.
According to the data supplied by Ankawa, it is expected that the World Youth Day in Rio de Janeiro will be attended by at least 170 young Iraqi Christians from the provinces of Baghdad, Kirkuk and Dohuk. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 03/05/2013).
- 2015-10-06 - Iraqi Ministry of Justice: Christian property will be protected
- 2015-10-01 - The Synod of the Chaldean Church convened in Rome at the end of October
- 2015-09-28 - The New Assyrian Patriarch during the inauguration ceremony: religious language must be put at the service of peace
- 2015-09-21 - New Assyrian Patriarch elected. And the patriarchal seat could return to Iraq
- 2015-09-14 - Nineveh Plain, Christians in Alqosh in procession for the feast of the Holy Cross
- 2015-09-10 - Inauguaration of the Diocesan Museum in Bassora
- 2015-08-31 - Chaldean Patriarchate delivers a dossier on the abuses suffered by Christians in Baghdad to the authorities
- 2015-08-28 - Chaldean Patriarch to Iraqi political leaders: integrate the voluntary militias in the army
- 2015-08-24 - A committee against abuse and violence against Christians has been set up
- 2015-08-08 - "We are hated because we persist in wanting to exist as Christians", testimony of Mgr. Warda