ASIA/IRAQ - Young Christians organize markets to pay for the trip to the next WYD
Baghdad (Agenzia Fides) - On Wednesday, May 1 at the Chaldean Church of St. Joseph in Baghdad the do-it-yourself market organized by young Iraqi Christians was inaugurated in order to find funds to support the expenses of the trip to Rio de Janeiro, where they themselves will attend at the end of July to participate in the next World Youth Day (WYD). The original fund-raising initiative lasts for a few days and could represent a pilot project to be re-launched in other churches scattered throughout the Country. On the pavilions of the small fair, which saw right from the beginning a strong turnout of buyers, one can find groceries, clothes, electronic products.
Economic difficulties, hardships and sufferings that mark the life of the Christian communities in Iraq make the desire of young people baptized concrete and live a joyful experience of prayer and encounter with Pope Francis and with new friends from all over the world. Raising funds through the market has seen the involvement and participation of young Christians belonging to different denominations, who thus have testified in a simple and concrete manner their unity as disciples of Jesus Christ.
According to the data supplied by Ankawa, it is expected that the World Youth Day in Rio de Janeiro will be attended by at least 170 young Iraqi Christians from the provinces of Baghdad, Kirkuk and Dohuk. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 03/05/2013).
- 2014-11-20 - New jihadist blackmail for Christians in Mosul: If you do not pay, your houses will be blown up
- 2014-11-20 - Chaldean Patriarch to Muslims: The barbarous acts committed in the name of Islam recalls Nazism. And your reactions are weak
- 2014-11-19 - Christian houses looted also by the Kurdish Peshmerga militias
- 2014-11-11 - A Mass celebrated again in the Nineveh Plain
- 2014-11-11 - Displaced persons remain isolated and without support due to violence
- 2014-11-07 - The furniture of Christian homes put up for sale in the markets of Mosul
- 2014-11-06 - The Chaldean diocese of Erbil conducts a census of the refugees who fled from the Nineveh Plain
- 2014-11-04 - The Church of St. Ephrem in Mosul could soon be transformed into a mosque
- 2014-11-03 - The Chaldean Patriarch: from Iraqi Premier full support to the Christian communities
- 2014-10-29 - More than 700 Christian families among the refugees welcomed in Baghdad,