ASIA/IRAQ - Young Christians organize markets to pay for the trip to the next WYD
Baghdad (Agenzia Fides) - On Wednesday, May 1 at the Chaldean Church of St. Joseph in Baghdad the do-it-yourself market organized by young Iraqi Christians was inaugurated in order to find funds to support the expenses of the trip to Rio de Janeiro, where they themselves will attend at the end of July to participate in the next World Youth Day (WYD). The original fund-raising initiative lasts for a few days and could represent a pilot project to be re-launched in other churches scattered throughout the Country. On the pavilions of the small fair, which saw right from the beginning a strong turnout of buyers, one can find groceries, clothes, electronic products.
Economic difficulties, hardships and sufferings that mark the life of the Christian communities in Iraq make the desire of young people baptized concrete and live a joyful experience of prayer and encounter with Pope Francis and with new friends from all over the world. Raising funds through the market has seen the involvement and participation of young Christians belonging to different denominations, who thus have testified in a simple and concrete manner their unity as disciples of Jesus Christ.
According to the data supplied by Ankawa, it is expected that the World Youth Day in Rio de Janeiro will be attended by at least 170 young Iraqi Christians from the provinces of Baghdad, Kirkuk and Dohuk. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 03/05/2013).
- 2014-03-10 ASIA/IRAQ - The Chaldean Church in aid of displaced people of Fallujah and Ramadi
- 2014-03-03 ASIA/IRAQ - Political leader denounces: the lands of Christians who emigrated plundered with the complicity of corrupt officials
- 2014-02-26 ASIA/IRAQ – Iraq’s Catholic Bishops insist: we must react to the violence destroying our nation
- 2014-02-24 ASIA/IRAQ - Patriarch Sako: A Lenten Season of fasting and prayer that Christians in Iraq will not emigrate
- 2014-02-21 ASIA/IRAQ – Decision to include Syriac and Christian religious education in 152 schools
- 2014-02-14 ASIA/IRAQ - Patriarch Sako: we need a "Chaldean League"
- 2014-02-14 ASIA/IRAQ - Campaign against the gifts between people in love on Valentine's Day. The Islamists: "it is a Christian feast"
- 2014-02-07 ASIA/IRAQ - Christian candidates in random order in the next national elections
- 2014-01-31 ASIA/IRAQ - The Leaders of Christian Churches: every adult citizen has to be free to choose his own religion
- 2014-01-30 ASIA/IRAQ – A Christian killed for his refusal to build silencers for firearms