ASIA/IRAQ - Young Christians organize markets to pay for the trip to the next WYD
Baghdad (Agenzia Fides) - On Wednesday, May 1 at the Chaldean Church of St. Joseph in Baghdad the do-it-yourself market organized by young Iraqi Christians was inaugurated in order to find funds to support the expenses of the trip to Rio de Janeiro, where they themselves will attend at the end of July to participate in the next World Youth Day (WYD). The original fund-raising initiative lasts for a few days and could represent a pilot project to be re-launched in other churches scattered throughout the Country. On the pavilions of the small fair, which saw right from the beginning a strong turnout of buyers, one can find groceries, clothes, electronic products.
Economic difficulties, hardships and sufferings that mark the life of the Christian communities in Iraq make the desire of young people baptized concrete and live a joyful experience of prayer and encounter with Pope Francis and with new friends from all over the world. Raising funds through the market has seen the involvement and participation of young Christians belonging to different denominations, who thus have testified in a simple and concrete manner their unity as disciples of Jesus Christ.
According to the data supplied by Ankawa, it is expected that the World Youth Day in Rio de Janeiro will be attended by at least 170 young Iraqi Christians from the provinces of Baghdad, Kirkuk and Dohuk. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 03/05/2013).
- 2014-09-30 - Patriarch Louis Raphael I to "Muslim brothers": condemn violent extremism that exploits religion
- 2014-09-26 - The Universities in the north open its doors to student-refugees of the Nineveh Plain
- 2014-09-23 - The Chaldean Patriarch to priests and religious who emigrated without permission: come back to serve those most in need
- 2014-09-13 - The school year in the Islamic Caliphate: the teaching of Syriac and Christian names of schools have been abolished
- 2014-09-11 - ASIA/IRAQ – Air raids hit areas adjacent to two churches in Mosul
- 2014-09-10 - Syrian Catholic priest says: Christians will return to the Plain of Ninive only when and if Mosul is freed
- 2014-09-05 - Head of Caritas Lebanon: we welcome Iraqi Christian refugees, but they are determined to leave the Middle East
- 2014-09-04 - Chaldean Catholic Patriarch: to free Ninive province we need a peacekeeping operation and Christians enrolled in local police force
- 2014-08-22 - Cardinal Fernando Filoni: my mission among the sufferings of the Iraqi brothers
- 2014-08-20 - Barzani: ready to arm Christian volunteers