AFRICA/NIGERIA - Six Bishops of the Province of Jos on a solidarity visit to Maiduguri
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - "They are leaving for a visit of solidarity to the people of Maiduguri, severely tested by the violence of the Boko Haram sect," says to Fides Agency His Exc. Mgr. Ignatius Ayau Kaigama Archbishop of Jos and President of the Episcopal Conference Nigeria, reached on the phone while he is Abuja airport waiting to board for the capital of Borno State in northeastern Nigeria, where Boko Haram have been committing attacks for years, many of whom have targeted the Church . "We were advised to take the plane for security reasons. The streets are not safe due to the presence of armed gangs in the area " says the Archbishop.
"We are six Bishops of the Province of Jos and we have decided to carry out our meeting in Maiduguri as a gesture of solidarity with the local Bishop (His Exc. Mgr. Oliver Dashe Doeme) and with the local population" refers Mgr. Kaigama
"We will be there for two days in Maiduguri, together with the local faithful, praying with them and sharing their situation," concluded Mgr. Kaigama. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 30/04/2013)
- 2015-05-08 - Kidnapped priest released
- 2015-05-07 - Catholic priest Kidnapped
- 2015-04-29 - The Nigerian army have expressed joy for the release of hostages held by the Boko Haram Islamist sect and sorrow for the discovery of mass graves
- 2015-04-14 - Mgr. Kaigama: "It is worrying that we do not know anything about the Chibok girls one year after their kidnapping"
- 2015-04-14 - The Bishops in Ibadan: "We are concerned about the violation regarding the sanctity of life"
- 2015-04-08 - "Do not give in to the temptation of revenge", says the Bishop of Maiduguri to the displaced persons who have returned to their destroyed homes
- 2015-04-01 - Muhammadu Buhari elected President; Bishops invite to respect the result
- 2015-03-30 - "Boko Haram failed to prevent the holding of elections", says the Bishop of Maiduguri
- 2015-03-28 - Caritas: "There is hope of allowing refugees to return to their homes, but destruction is enormous"
- 2015-03-27 - On the eve of the vote 90% of the areas freed from Boko Haram; "Why was it not done before?"