AFRICA/NIGERIA - Six Bishops of the Province of Jos on a solidarity visit to Maiduguri
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - "They are leaving for a visit of solidarity to the people of Maiduguri, severely tested by the violence of the Boko Haram sect," says to Fides Agency His Exc. Mgr. Ignatius Ayau Kaigama Archbishop of Jos and President of the Episcopal Conference Nigeria, reached on the phone while he is Abuja airport waiting to board for the capital of Borno State in northeastern Nigeria, where Boko Haram have been committing attacks for years, many of whom have targeted the Church . "We were advised to take the plane for security reasons. The streets are not safe due to the presence of armed gangs in the area " says the Archbishop.
"We are six Bishops of the Province of Jos and we have decided to carry out our meeting in Maiduguri as a gesture of solidarity with the local Bishop (His Exc. Mgr. Oliver Dashe Doeme) and with the local population" refers Mgr. Kaigama
"We will be there for two days in Maiduguri, together with the local faithful, praying with them and sharing their situation," concluded Mgr. Kaigama. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 30/04/2013)
- 2015-06-24 - "Despite the latest attacks, we hope that Boko Haram will be soon defeated" says the Bishop of Maiduguri
- 2015-06-22 - Priest kidnapped on June 8 has been released, no ransom was paid
- 2015-06-13 - Still no contact with the kidnappers of the priest kidnapped
- 2015-06-11 - "We are waiting to be contacted by the kidnappers", says the Bishop of Ekiti after the kidnapping of a priest
- 2015-06-03 - Boko Haram hits Maiduguri again
- 2015-06-02 - A priest killed in an attempted robbery
- 2015-06-01 - "Let us pray for the new President" says the President of the Episcopal Conference
- 2015-05-29 - The Bishops: "No to mass abortion for girls raped by Boko Haram; we are ready to help"
- 2015-05-08 - Kidnapped priest released
- 2015-05-07 - Catholic priest Kidnapped