AFRICA/NIGERIA - Six Bishops of the Province of Jos on a solidarity visit to Maiduguri
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - "They are leaving for a visit of solidarity to the people of Maiduguri, severely tested by the violence of the Boko Haram sect," says to Fides Agency His Exc. Mgr. Ignatius Ayau Kaigama Archbishop of Jos and President of the Episcopal Conference Nigeria, reached on the phone while he is Abuja airport waiting to board for the capital of Borno State in northeastern Nigeria, where Boko Haram have been committing attacks for years, many of whom have targeted the Church . "We were advised to take the plane for security reasons. The streets are not safe due to the presence of armed gangs in the area " says the Archbishop.
"We are six Bishops of the Province of Jos and we have decided to carry out our meeting in Maiduguri as a gesture of solidarity with the local Bishop (His Exc. Mgr. Oliver Dashe Doeme) and with the local population" refers Mgr. Kaigama
"We will be there for two days in Maiduguri, together with the local faithful, praying with them and sharing their situation," concluded Mgr. Kaigama. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 30/04/2013)
- 2015-09-28 - Bishops: "Need to diversify the economy in order to avoid our young people to migrate to Europe"
- 2015-09-23 - Despite the attacks, the displaced return to Maiduguri; 3 priests ordained in a community ransacked by Boko Haram
- 2015-09-17 - 60% of children are victims of abuse and violence of all kinds
- 2015-09-10 - Another priest kidnapped; more and more religious victims of road ambushes
- 2015-09-02 - Bishops support President Buhari's campaign against corruption
- 2015-08-17 - Claretian Missionary priest killed in road ambush
- 2015-07-16 - "If Boko Haram succeed in cutting us off from the other part of Nigeria, Maiduguri is doomed"
- 2015-07-15 - Boko Haram strikes again, but no longer controls whole territories
- 2015-07-10 - sex marriages in the western world
- 2015-07-06 - New attacks of Boko Haram: a mosque and a Protestant Church