AFRICA/NIGERIA - Six Bishops of the Province of Jos on a solidarity visit to Maiduguri
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - "They are leaving for a visit of solidarity to the people of Maiduguri, severely tested by the violence of the Boko Haram sect," says to Fides Agency His Exc. Mgr. Ignatius Ayau Kaigama Archbishop of Jos and President of the Episcopal Conference Nigeria, reached on the phone while he is Abuja airport waiting to board for the capital of Borno State in northeastern Nigeria, where Boko Haram have been committing attacks for years, many of whom have targeted the Church . "We were advised to take the plane for security reasons. The streets are not safe due to the presence of armed gangs in the area " says the Archbishop.
"We are six Bishops of the Province of Jos and we have decided to carry out our meeting in Maiduguri as a gesture of solidarity with the local Bishop (His Exc. Mgr. Oliver Dashe Doeme) and with the local population" refers Mgr. Kaigama
"We will be there for two days in Maiduguri, together with the local faithful, praying with them and sharing their situation," concluded Mgr. Kaigama. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 30/04/2013)
- 2014-08-22 - More than 11,000 people fleeing due to the conquest of their city by Boko Haram
- 2014-08-20 - "Ill-gotten wealth from oil bunkering could be used to destabilize", said the Bishop of Umuahia
- 2014-08-19 - AFRICA/NIGERIA – "It is worrying to see Boko Haram trying to conquer territories", said the Archbishop of Lagos
- 2014-08-06 - New attacks against Catholic churches. The details of the attack in Kano perpetrated by a female suicide bomber
- 2014-07-17 - The President intends to ask a billion dollars to fight Boko Haram
- 2014-07-07 - More than two thousand women widowed largely by the Boko Haram insurgency assisted by the Diocese of Maiduguri
- 2014-06-30 - New attacks in the north: the Bishop of Maiduguri, "the human mind cannot understand what is going on"
- 2014-06-26 - "Let us seek the path of dialogue to end violence", says to Fides Cardinal Onaiyekan
- 2014-06-11 - The Bishops: "necessary to ensure the rights of all religions throughout the Country"
- 2014-06-10 - "Yes to amnesty for Boko Haram, as long as there is sincere repentance and compensation for the victims" says Cardinal Onaiyekan