AFRICA/NIGERIA - Six Bishops of the Province of Jos on a solidarity visit to Maiduguri
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - "They are leaving for a visit of solidarity to the people of Maiduguri, severely tested by the violence of the Boko Haram sect," says to Fides Agency His Exc. Mgr. Ignatius Ayau Kaigama Archbishop of Jos and President of the Episcopal Conference Nigeria, reached on the phone while he is Abuja airport waiting to board for the capital of Borno State in northeastern Nigeria, where Boko Haram have been committing attacks for years, many of whom have targeted the Church . "We were advised to take the plane for security reasons. The streets are not safe due to the presence of armed gangs in the area " says the Archbishop.
"We are six Bishops of the Province of Jos and we have decided to carry out our meeting in Maiduguri as a gesture of solidarity with the local Bishop (His Exc. Mgr. Oliver Dashe Doeme) and with the local population" refers Mgr. Kaigama
"We will be there for two days in Maiduguri, together with the local faithful, praying with them and sharing their situation," concluded Mgr. Kaigama. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 30/04/2013)
- 2014-12-17 - The parishes of Maiduguri cares for more than 5,000 displaced people fleeing Boko Haram
- 2014-12-01 - Boko Haram: assault on the capital of Yobe, new victims over the weekend
- 2014-11-29 - Mgr. Kaigama: "Boko Haram attacks Muslims who do not think like them"
- 2014-11-27 - Boko Haram plans attacks with suicide women bombers disguised as nuns
- 2014-11-19 - File: the damage inflicted by Boko Haram to the diocese of Maiduguri
- 2014-11-19 - More than 100,000 Catholics scattered because of Boko Haram, "but we remain to bear witness with our presence", said a priest of Maiduguri
- 2014-11-18 - The President of the Episcopal Conference warns: "The 2015 elections will create a political situation that will be explosive"
- 2014-11-10 - Archbishop Kaigama: "Politicians must abandon the electoral struggle and unite to fight Boko Haram"
- 2014-11-06 - National Prayer Vigil for peace in the nation
- 2014-10-28 - There has not been any negotiation so far with the "real" Boko Haram