AMERICA/CHILE - Family, education, entrepreneurship: Pastoral Letter to the Chilean politicians in view of the presidential elections
Concepción (Agenzia Fides) - The Latin American countries are all busy with reforms concerning the civil and social rights for its population. Chile is in the middle of a primary campaign in view of the presidential elections in November. In this regard, Msgr. Fernando Chomali, Archbishop of Concepción sent to Fides Agency a pastoral Letter which he wrote and is addressed to the Chilean politicians of Concepcion and Arauco. "The educational dimension of political activity" is the title of the Letter in which Msgr. Chomali expresses the value of the work of those engaged in politics and the importance of doing politics in an educational key. "Chile has experienced great changes," said the Archbishop, "the time has come to make concrete proposals and work hard for government programs and for campaign promises to be put into practice." The Archbishop also highlighted what he thinks are the three areas of social life in which public policies will have a significant impact on poverty reduction and development in the region: family, education, entrepreneurship. In the country of the Southern Cone there is a very strong presence of the Catholic Church, Chile is also one of the few countries that still prohibits abortion. Msgr. Chomali did not spare a very strong reference to the defense of human life in all its stages of development. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 30/04/2013)
- 2014-11-19 - Bishops support: "an educational reform for the good of the nation"
- 2014-10-20 - A hundred thousand on a pilgrimage for the family to the shrine of the first Chilean Saint
- 2014-10-03 - Apostolic Vicar of Aysen awarded: "Water is also a problem of sovereignty"
- 2014-06-26 - Wüñol Tripantu, the Mapuche celebration of the rebirth of life
- 2014-06-20 - "Here we are Lord, in the World Cup": special section on the website of the Catholic Bishops' Conference
- 2014-05-30 - AMERICA/CHILE – Local Catholic Church committed to educational reform nation wide
- 2014-05-07 - The decline in vocations to priesthood at the center of the Assembly of Bishops of Chile
- 2014-04-14 - Card. Ezzati’s appeal: Solidarity with the people of Valparaiso after the tragic fire
- 2014-01-09 - Peru and Chile, brotherly peoples
- 2014-01-07 - "One should listen to the Mapuche people in order to resolve the conflict in Araucanía" asks the Bishop of Temuco