AMERICA/CHILE - Family, education, entrepreneurship: Pastoral Letter to the Chilean politicians in view of the presidential elections
Concepción (Agenzia Fides) - The Latin American countries are all busy with reforms concerning the civil and social rights for its population. Chile is in the middle of a primary campaign in view of the presidential elections in November. In this regard, Msgr. Fernando Chomali, Archbishop of Concepción sent to Fides Agency a pastoral Letter which he wrote and is addressed to the Chilean politicians of Concepcion and Arauco. "The educational dimension of political activity" is the title of the Letter in which Msgr. Chomali expresses the value of the work of those engaged in politics and the importance of doing politics in an educational key. "Chile has experienced great changes," said the Archbishop, "the time has come to make concrete proposals and work hard for government programs and for campaign promises to be put into practice." The Archbishop also highlighted what he thinks are the three areas of social life in which public policies will have a significant impact on poverty reduction and development in the region: family, education, entrepreneurship. In the country of the Southern Cone there is a very strong presence of the Catholic Church, Chile is also one of the few countries that still prohibits abortion. Msgr. Chomali did not spare a very strong reference to the defense of human life in all its stages of development. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 30/04/2013)
- 2015-05-19 - The main problems of childhood in Chile: Sexual exploitation, trafficking, drugs, alcohol
- 2015-05-18 - First agreement between former political prisoners and government, Mgr. Goic President of the Commission
- 2015-05-16 - Two students die during the protests; the Church appeals for non-violence
- 2015-05-06 - Bishops' statement: "The right to truth, forgiveness is not impunity"
- 2015-04-15 - Protection of life and communication in the Church's mission, priority in the Chilean Church
- 2015-04-14 - Floods force more than 40 000 children not to go to school
- 2015-03-30 - Floods and landslides: 12 dead and thousands displaced, Caritas at work
- 2015-02-23 - Rudimental bomb explodes near a parish in the capital
- 2015-01-29 - "We have lost a great opportunity": criticism regarding the Law on Education
- 2014-11-19 - Bishops support: "an educational reform for the good of the nation"