AFRICA/MALI – The situation improves but the plight of displaced persons and refugees is not forgotten
Bamako (Agenzia Fides) - "The Commission for Dialogue and Reconciliation has already begun its work, the safety conditions have improved and the civil administration is resuming its duties in the northern cities liberated by the presence of armed groups." These are signs of hope reported to Fides Agency by Fr. Edmond Dembele, Secretary General of the Episcopal Conference of Mali.
The French troops along with the Malian and West African Countries have now taken control of much of northern Mali. The different jihadist groups that occupied them are dispersed in the desert areas of Mali or are directed abroad. According to the international press these groups, from Mali, are behind the latest attacks occurred in Libya, in particular the one that hit the French Embassy in Tripoli. "Here in Mali one thinks in fact that these attacks are the proof that jihadist groups fled from our Country have fled to Libya," says Fr. Dembele. "But our main concern at the moment is the reconstruction of Mali," added the priest. "One of the urgent problems is that of refugees and displaced persons. The aid for IDPs decreases day by day and the suffering of these people increase. The situation remains very worrying because the rainy season is about to start and the risk of epidemics and diseases such as malaria increases," concluded Fr. Dembele. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 29/04/2013)
AFRICA/MALI – THE SITUATION IMPROVES BUT THE PLIGHT OF DISPLACED PERSONS AND REFUGEES IS NOT FORGOTTEN
- 2015-03-09 - The attack on the UN base in Kidal and the bombing in Bamako committed by the same group
- 2014-11-25 - Other kidnappings of children in a climate of instability due to the presence of armed groups
- 2014-11-21 - AFRICA/MALI – Ebola: annual pilgrimage postponed
- 2014-10-06 - "It is necessary to stabilize the south of Libya in order to stop the attacks in Mali", said the Secretary of the Bishops' Conference
- 2014-02-26 - AFRICA/MALI – More than 3 million suffer food shortage, some 50,000 could starve to death before the end of 2014
- 2013-09-06 - The challenges of the new leadership: National reconciliation, fight against corruption, the re-launch of economy
- 2013-08-05 - In view of the run-off Caritas Mali proposes some measures to improve the electoral process
- 2013-08-01 - Caritas: "The population of Mali has demonstrated with the vote its attachment to the institutions"
- 2013-07-31 - Caritas Mali: "Elections substantially correct"
- 2013-07-27 - Presidential elections, Caritas urges to solve the humanitarian crisis