AFRICA/CAMEROON - 3 out of 10 children are likely to die of malaria
Yaounde (Agenzia Fides) - In 2010, worldwide, there were about 219 million cases of malaria causing the deaths of 655,000 people. According to the latest estimates by the World Health Organization, Africa, where there are 90% of deaths due to this disease, is the most affected continent.
Although since 2000 there has been a reduction of more than 25% of deaths worldwide, about half of the population live in areas at risk and, according to the NGO International Plan, out of 200 million cases, 660,000 people are still dying today each year, mostly children under 5 years of age in Africa. This is what emerged during the recent celebration of World Day against Malaria. It is a preventable and treatable infection and with the distribution of insecticide-treated nets among the population of West Africa 3 million children could be saved in the next few years. In Cameroon, for example, where 3 out of 10 children are likely to die of malaria, the disease is one of the major health problems, with 30% of the child population positive to the rapid diagnostic tests. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 29/04/2013)
- 2015-05-20 - Food insecurity in the north of the Country
- 2015-02-23 - Cameroonian press questions French policy to fight Boko Haram
- 2014-10-22 - African Catholic Bishops: "Respect democratic turnover"
- 2014-10-13 - "Only the Church assists victims of Boko Haram in the north of Cameroon," says a missionary
- 2014-09-03 - Humanitarian emergency for more than 30.000 people fleeing Boko Haram
- 2014-07-16 - Insecurity caused by Boko Haram: The Church promotes a day of prayer
- 2014-06-27 - An alleged kidnapper of the Italian missionaries and Canadian nun has been arrested
- 2014-06-02 - Missionaries released: "A grace of God and a time of joy for the Church", said Cardinal Filoni who met them
- 2014-05-30 - VATICAN – A Church which is dynamic, lively and growing, despite difficulties: Cardinal Filoni meets the Bishops and priests of Cameroon
- 2014-05-30 - VATICAN – A hundred years after the Evangelization of Bamenda: deepen your faith and renew your missionary commitment urges Cardinal Filoni