AFRICA/CAMEROON - 3 out of 10 children are likely to die of malaria
Yaounde (Agenzia Fides) - In 2010, worldwide, there were about 219 million cases of malaria causing the deaths of 655,000 people. According to the latest estimates by the World Health Organization, Africa, where there are 90% of deaths due to this disease, is the most affected continent.
Although since 2000 there has been a reduction of more than 25% of deaths worldwide, about half of the population live in areas at risk and, according to the NGO International Plan, out of 200 million cases, 660,000 people are still dying today each year, mostly children under 5 years of age in Africa. This is what emerged during the recent celebration of World Day against Malaria. It is a preventable and treatable infection and with the distribution of insecticide-treated nets among the population of West Africa 3 million children could be saved in the next few years. In Cameroon, for example, where 3 out of 10 children are likely to die of malaria, the disease is one of the major health problems, with 30% of the child population positive to the rapid diagnostic tests. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 29/04/2013)
- 2014-01-03 AFRICA/CAMEROON - Fr. Georges Vandenbeusch welcomed in France by his parishioners
- 2013-11-28 AFRICA/CAMEROON - The Bishops: "Pray for the release of hostages in the world and in particular for Fr. Vandenbeusch"
- 2013-11-15 AFRICA/CAMEROON - French priest kidnapped by Boko Haram: to Fides the testimony of the previous pastor
- 2013-11-14 AFRICA/CAMEROON - Fidei Donum priest kidnapped
- 2013-04-29 AFRICA/CAMEROON - 3 out of 10 children are likely to die of malaria
- 2012-09-05 AFRICA/CAMEROON - Pan-African Congress of Catholic laity: "Being witnesses of Jesus Christ in Africa Today"
- 2011-10-22 AFRICA/CAMEROON - Paul Biya re-elected President of Cameroon
- 2011-10-10 AFRICA/CAMEROON - Weak participation and murder of two policemen mark the elections
- 2011-10-08 AFRICA/CAMEROON - "The future of Cameroon is in our hands" recall the Bishops on the occasion of tomorrow's presidential election
- 2011-07-07 AFRICA/CAMEROON-Appointment of the Rector of the Theological major Seminary "Paul VI" in the Archdiocese of Douala