AMERICA/GUATEMALA - Indifference of the government before violence, the bishops raise their voices recalling the open wounds
Guatemala City (Agenzia Fides) - In a message sent to Fides Agency, the Bishops of Guatemala wanted to celebrate the 15 years of the murder of Mgr. Juan Gerardi (April 26) with an invitation to reflect on his testimony which is still alive in the community: his commitment to serving the poor and the defense of peace.
The document recalls what was published in the "Peace Agreement" at the end of the war: "Engaging with the people of Guatemala to the point of eradicating the causes that produced the conflict and the evils of a 36-year civil war."
"In recent years, the text says, we have seen a political stop-gap and not a solution to poverty or social exclusion or forced migration. There is still lack of respect for human dignity, a dangerous polarization in society and serious conflicts in the mining field." The document concludes with a condemnation of violence and appeal to the construction of real peace in Guatemala, with the words and example of Bishop Gerardi: "Guatemala nunca más (Guatemala never again), because the painful experiences of the past must not be repeated." (CE) (Agenzia Fides 29/04/2013)
- 2014-09-10 - AMERICA/GUATEMALA – Fighting poverty and undernourishment to escape underdevelopment
- 2014-02-12 - "Life is not respected any more in the country" alarm of the Church in the fight against drug trafficking
- 2014-02-03 - Everyone must commit themselves for peace and social justice
- 2013-10-23 - " They only leave crumbs, generate social conflicts and destroy the environment": Mgr. Ramazzini on foreign mining companies
- 2013-10-02 - Over two thousand children are HIV-positive
- 2013-08-29 - Ensuring food and health care to mothers in the early months of pregnancy to prevent born babies to die of hunger
- 2013-08-08 - 4 villages of ethnic Q'eqchi are isolated due to severe floods, the Church intervenes
- 2013-07-31 - Epidemic dengue due to the contagion of 3,700 people and the death of 2 children
- 2013-07-05 - 6,707 children under five years of age suffer from acute malnutrition and risk death
- 2013-05-06 - Clashes on mining. "One must avoid violence and protect the rights of communities," says a Bishop