AMERICA/GUATEMALA - Indifference of the government before violence, the bishops raise their voices recalling the open wounds
Guatemala City (Agenzia Fides) - In a message sent to Fides Agency, the Bishops of Guatemala wanted to celebrate the 15 years of the murder of Mgr. Juan Gerardi (April 26) with an invitation to reflect on his testimony which is still alive in the community: his commitment to serving the poor and the defense of peace.
The document recalls what was published in the "Peace Agreement" at the end of the war: "Engaging with the people of Guatemala to the point of eradicating the causes that produced the conflict and the evils of a 36-year civil war."
"In recent years, the text says, we have seen a political stop-gap and not a solution to poverty or social exclusion or forced migration. There is still lack of respect for human dignity, a dangerous polarization in society and serious conflicts in the mining field." The document concludes with a condemnation of violence and appeal to the construction of real peace in Guatemala, with the words and example of Bishop Gerardi: "Guatemala nunca más (Guatemala never again), because the painful experiences of the past must not be repeated." (CE) (Agenzia Fides 29/04/2013)
- 2015-10-06 - Mobile clinics and reception center of the Guatemalan Red Cross after the floods
- 2015-10-05 - Rescuers at work after the landslides swept away a village: 131 dead and 300 missing
- 2015-06-01 - Thousands are demanding the resignation of the President accused of corruption
- 2015-04-27 - We cannot forget the figure of Mgr. Juan Gerardi, who fought for a different Guatemala
- 2015-01-29 - A reception center for HIV children
- 2015-01-22 - Niños de Paz project to protect thousands of refugees and displaced children
- 2014-11-12 - To strengthen missionary commitment in spite of violence in the country and people's indifference
- 2014-10-28 - "City of Hope": an integral project for young landfill workers
- 2014-10-06 - Violence in Sacatepéquez continues, the government asks for the mediation of the Church
- 2014-09-29 - Child workers: the exploitation of children represents a permanent crisis