AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - "Our leadership is intact" ensures the Archbishop of Juba
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - Christian leaders in Southern Sudan have asked for clarification on the apparent tension between the leaders of the State when a month ago, President Salva Kiir had withdrawn the delegation of certain powers from Vice President Riek Machar. Since then rumors of a rift have followed between the two leaders of the Country.
A delegation of representatives of the main Christian denominations, led by His Exc. Mgr. Paulino Lukudu Loro, Archbishop of Juba, met with President Kiir and Vice President Machar, in a closed-door meeting to obtain details on the situation.
At the end of the meeting Mgr. Lukudu told reporters that the rumors circulating in recent days had disturbed church leaders: "We have been hearing that the President and the Vice President are in war, are in trouble, are in difficulty, in disagreement. This of course disturbs all of us as citizens".
The Archbishop added that the meeting was an opportunity to dispel the doubts and alarm. "I want to tell you that the President is peaceful, the Vice President is peaceful ... There are no contrasts between them. We also heard that our army, our forces, our soldiers were divided. The rumors that we are hearing are not true. Our leadership is intact," assured Mgr. Lukudu in a statement broadcast on state-owned radio and television. (LM) (Agenzia Fides 26/04/2013)
- 2014-12-15 - Memorial Mass for the victims and for peace, a year after the outbreak of the Civil War
- 2014-11-14 - The first woman mayor of Yei killed: an act against the Church and against peace
- 2014-10-30 - Campaign against the recruitment of children in armed conflict: "Children, not soldiers"!
- 2014-10-21 - The warring parties recognize their responsibilities in the civil war, "an important step for peace"
- 2014-10-09 - The law that strengthens the powers of security services has been approved, the opposition protests
- 2014-10-07 - A million people at risk of hunger if the political crisis is not solved
- 2014-10-03 - South Sudan's authorities threaten Catholic community radio
- 2014-10-01 - Authorities have threatened to close down another Catholic radio
- 2014-09-29 - The Bishops denounce the manipulation of tribalism: "Put an end to the civil war now"
- 2014-09-23 - Religious leaders committed to calm tensions on the border with Uganda