AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - "Our leadership is intact" ensures the Archbishop of Juba
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - Christian leaders in Southern Sudan have asked for clarification on the apparent tension between the leaders of the State when a month ago, President Salva Kiir had withdrawn the delegation of certain powers from Vice President Riek Machar. Since then rumors of a rift have followed between the two leaders of the Country.
A delegation of representatives of the main Christian denominations, led by His Exc. Mgr. Paulino Lukudu Loro, Archbishop of Juba, met with President Kiir and Vice President Machar, in a closed-door meeting to obtain details on the situation.
At the end of the meeting Mgr. Lukudu told reporters that the rumors circulating in recent days had disturbed church leaders: "We have been hearing that the President and the Vice President are in war, are in trouble, are in difficulty, in disagreement. This of course disturbs all of us as citizens".
The Archbishop added that the meeting was an opportunity to dispel the doubts and alarm. "I want to tell you that the President is peaceful, the Vice President is peaceful ... There are no contrasts between them. We also heard that our army, our forces, our soldiers were divided. The rumors that we are hearing are not true. Our leadership is intact," assured Mgr. Lukudu in a statement broadcast on state-owned radio and television. (LM) (Agenzia Fides 26/04/2013)
- 2015-11-09 - Violence, food insecurity, malnutrition: the population is exhausted
- 2015-11-04 - "South Sudan is not prepared to deal with terrorist infiltration"
- 2015-11-03 - Appeals from religious leaders regarding the fate of 80,000 displaced people in the woods
- 2015-11-03 - AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN – The civil war continues to penalize the population: now the aim is survival
- 2015-10-20 - Apostolic Administrator of Torit: "It is more important to implement the peace agreement than create new States"
- 2015-10-08 - Perplexity about the creation of 28 new States
- 2015-10-02 - Malaria: 4,000 cases a week and the death of three children a day
- 2015-09-22 - Women, widows and orphans who live in absolute precariousness continues to increase
- 2015-09-15 - A Comboni Congolese missionary wounded in a road ambush
- 2015-09-03 - The Archbishop of Juba will inform Pope Francis on the situation in his country