AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - "Our leadership is intact" ensures the Archbishop of Juba
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - Christian leaders in Southern Sudan have asked for clarification on the apparent tension between the leaders of the State when a month ago, President Salva Kiir had withdrawn the delegation of certain powers from Vice President Riek Machar. Since then rumors of a rift have followed between the two leaders of the Country.
A delegation of representatives of the main Christian denominations, led by His Exc. Mgr. Paulino Lukudu Loro, Archbishop of Juba, met with President Kiir and Vice President Machar, in a closed-door meeting to obtain details on the situation.
At the end of the meeting Mgr. Lukudu told reporters that the rumors circulating in recent days had disturbed church leaders: "We have been hearing that the President and the Vice President are in war, are in trouble, are in difficulty, in disagreement. This of course disturbs all of us as citizens".
The Archbishop added that the meeting was an opportunity to dispel the doubts and alarm. "I want to tell you that the President is peaceful, the Vice President is peaceful ... There are no contrasts between them. We also heard that our army, our forces, our soldiers were divided. The rumors that we are hearing are not true. Our leadership is intact," assured Mgr. Lukudu in a statement broadcast on state-owned radio and television. (LM) (Agenzia Fides 26/04/2013)
- 2014-04-15 - Christian leaders’ appeal: "Stop the violence, this is not the future for which the people of the Country voted"
- 2014-03-11 - Inauguration of the pediatric wing of the hospital in Yirol
- 2014-03-07 - "The South Sudanese people will come out of this crisis stronger than";fifty years from the expulsion of the missionaries
- 2014-03-03 - Malakal, a city of 250,000 inhabitants, completely deserted after the rebel attacks: the testimony of a missionary to Fides
- 2014-02-27 - “Let us work together for peace”: Bishop Taban urges Muslim community
- 2014-02-25 - “Our place is here”: caring for mothers and infants in need of medical attention
- 2014-02-20 - "Civil society needs to be involved in future peace negotiations", said the Nuncio
- 2014-02-19 - Uncertain situation in Malakal, at the center of the fighting between government and rebels
- 2014-02-18 - The truce has been violated: fighting in Malakal has resumed
- 2014-02-12 - New round of peace talks in South Sudan