AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - "Our leadership is intact" ensures the Archbishop of Juba
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - Christian leaders in Southern Sudan have asked for clarification on the apparent tension between the leaders of the State when a month ago, President Salva Kiir had withdrawn the delegation of certain powers from Vice President Riek Machar. Since then rumors of a rift have followed between the two leaders of the Country.
A delegation of representatives of the main Christian denominations, led by His Exc. Mgr. Paulino Lukudu Loro, Archbishop of Juba, met with President Kiir and Vice President Machar, in a closed-door meeting to obtain details on the situation.
At the end of the meeting Mgr. Lukudu told reporters that the rumors circulating in recent days had disturbed church leaders: "We have been hearing that the President and the Vice President are in war, are in trouble, are in difficulty, in disagreement. This of course disturbs all of us as citizens".
The Archbishop added that the meeting was an opportunity to dispel the doubts and alarm. "I want to tell you that the President is peaceful, the Vice President is peaceful ... There are no contrasts between them. We also heard that our army, our forces, our soldiers were divided. The rumors that we are hearing are not true. Our leadership is intact," assured Mgr. Lukudu in a statement broadcast on state-owned radio and television. (LM) (Agenzia Fides 26/04/2013)
- 2014-07-22 - Child malnutrition rates skyrocket: +73% compared to 2013
- 2014-07-10 - 3 children die every day; 50 thousand at risk for malnutrition, diseases and ethnic conflicts
- 2014-07-03 - 6 hospitals looted or burned in a few months, at least 58 people killed in the hospitals
- 2014-06-24 - Appeal of Christian and Muslim leaders: "Pursue political dialogue for peaceful settlement and end the war"
- 2014-06-13 - Despite the peace agreement there is still alert due to the constant arrivals of refugees in Ethiopia
- 2014-05-23 - 132 children abducted by the LRA have been released
- 2014-05-14 - Appeal of the World Council of Churches: "With the agreement signed, the real work starts now"
- 2014-05-05 - "Untold suffering of more than five thousand Internally Displaced Persons, IDPs" denounces the Assistant Parish Priest in Abyei
- 2014-04-30 - Child soldiers leave school to "avenge" their parents' death
- 2014-04-15 - Christian leaders’ appeal: "Stop the violence, this is not the future for which the people of the Country voted"