ASIA/HOLY LAND - Candlelight procession in Jerusalem against the French law on same-sex marriages
Jerusalem (Agenzia Fides) - Even in Jerusalem, as in other cities in the world, spontaneous gatherings are taking place these days to express dissent with the law authorizing the so-called same-sex marriage, which was approved by the French Parliament on 23 April. Since the evening of that day, many French citizens living in Holy Land and belonging to different religions have gathered outside the French Consulate in Jerusalem with a silent vigil to ask for the withdrawal of the law.
Other gatherings of the same kind are scheduled for today and in the coming days. With the light of torches and candles, participants will listen to songs and readings of French authors such as Victor Hugo, Charles Baudelaire and Alexis de Tocqueville, all related to the theme of freedom of conscience.
Bishop William Shomali, Patriarchal Vicar of the Patriarch of Jerusalem of the Latins, in a brief statement reported by the website of the Latin Patriarchate and also sent to Fides Agency has expressed his admiration "for the young and not-so-young who protest silently, peacefully and with dignity, in defending a noble cause: the protection of family and children's rights" (GV) (Agenzia Fides 25/04/2013).
- 2014-08-30 - ASIA/HOLY LAND – Catholic schools cancel strike, but Israeli government talks of ‘take over’
- 2014-08-06 - In Gaza a child dies every hour. There is no electricity, water and essential medical services
- 2014-08-06 - Appeal of the Patriarch of Jerusalem to Aid to the Church in Need for the victims of Gaza
- 2014-08-01 - The Patriarch of Jerusalem, Twal: the truce is not needed if Gaza remains a desperate prison
- 2014-08-01 - Prayers and fasting for peace in Gaza and throughout the Middle East
- 2014-08-01 - The Forgiveness of Assisi dedicated to peace in the Middle East
- 2014-07-29 - Bombing near the Catholic parish in Gaza. School devastated
- 2014-07-24 - Caritas Jerusalem rescues thousands of Muslims, who have taken shelter in schools and churches in Gaza
- 2014-07-22 - Patriarch Emeritus Sabbah: there is no war in Gaza, but a useless massacre
- 2014-07-18 - The Israeli army enters Gaza. Pope's message to the local Catholic community