ASIA/HOLY LAND - Candlelight procession in Jerusalem against the French law on same-sex marriages
Jerusalem (Agenzia Fides) - Even in Jerusalem, as in other cities in the world, spontaneous gatherings are taking place these days to express dissent with the law authorizing the so-called same-sex marriage, which was approved by the French Parliament on 23 April. Since the evening of that day, many French citizens living in Holy Land and belonging to different religions have gathered outside the French Consulate in Jerusalem with a silent vigil to ask for the withdrawal of the law.
Other gatherings of the same kind are scheduled for today and in the coming days. With the light of torches and candles, participants will listen to songs and readings of French authors such as Victor Hugo, Charles Baudelaire and Alexis de Tocqueville, all related to the theme of freedom of conscience.
Bishop William Shomali, Patriarchal Vicar of the Patriarch of Jerusalem of the Latins, in a brief statement reported by the website of the Latin Patriarchate and also sent to Fides Agency has expressed his admiration "for the young and not-so-young who protest silently, peacefully and with dignity, in defending a noble cause: the protection of family and children's rights" (GV) (Agenzia Fides 25/04/2013).
- 2014-09-26 - U.S. Bishops: even the barrier Wall and the new colonies close the door to peace
- 2014-09-23 - Water emergency in Gaza, initiatives of AGIRE network
- 2014-09-22 - The Catholic Bishops: the recognition of the "Aramean" nationality aims to divide the Palestinian Christians from others
- 2014-09-17 - 240,000 children return to school in Gaza
- 2014-09-17 - Patriarch Twal: the presence of Christian immigrants is an asset for the local church
- 2014-09-12 - Catholic Episcopal Commission: pilgrims are messengers of peace between Palestinians and Israelis
- 2014-09-10 - ASIA/HOLY LAND – US Catholic Bishops make Holy Land pilgrimage to 'pray for peace'
- 2014-09-09 - ASIA/HOLY LAND – New equipe for missionary animation in the land of Jesus
- 2014-09-04 - Caritas Jerusalem: in Gaza 400,000 children need psychological care
- 2014-09-02 - Latin Patriarchal delegation visits Gaza: “it is like the cities devastated by World War II”