ASIA/HOLY LAND - Candlelight procession in Jerusalem against the French law on same-sex marriages
Jerusalem (Agenzia Fides) - Even in Jerusalem, as in other cities in the world, spontaneous gatherings are taking place these days to express dissent with the law authorizing the so-called same-sex marriage, which was approved by the French Parliament on 23 April. Since the evening of that day, many French citizens living in Holy Land and belonging to different religions have gathered outside the French Consulate in Jerusalem with a silent vigil to ask for the withdrawal of the law.
Other gatherings of the same kind are scheduled for today and in the coming days. With the light of torches and candles, participants will listen to songs and readings of French authors such as Victor Hugo, Charles Baudelaire and Alexis de Tocqueville, all related to the theme of freedom of conscience.
Bishop William Shomali, Patriarchal Vicar of the Patriarch of Jerusalem of the Latins, in a brief statement reported by the website of the Latin Patriarchate and also sent to Fides Agency has expressed his admiration "for the young and not-so-young who protest silently, peacefully and with dignity, in defending a noble cause: the protection of family and children's rights" (GV) (Agenzia Fides 25/04/2013).
- 2015-01-14 - The Bishops' Holy Land Coordination visit the Cremisan Valley
- 2015-01-12 - International Delegation of Bishops visit Gaza; for Archbishop Fontana "a devastated situation"
- 2015-01-07 - International Delegation of Bishops to visit Gaza
- 2014-12-22 - Patriarch Twal visits Gaza: "today for many refugee children it would be a luxury to live in the grotto where Jesus was born"
- 2014-12-18 - Christmas Message of His Beatitude Patriarch Twal: tragedies and hopes of a difficult year
- 2014-12-02 - Cremisan case: Palestinian mayors and Catholic organizations reject the alternatives proposed by the Israeli government
- 2014-11-21 - Children without citizenship: the question of Palestinian children not registered reopens
- 2014-11-20 - Thousands of children from Gaza are disabled because of wars
- 2014-11-19 - Representatives of all religions visit the synagogue attacked. Patriarch Twal: No more violence in places of worship
- 2014-11-18 - Latin Patriarch Twal after the attack against the synagogue in Jerusalem: stop the endless spiral of revenge