ASIA/HOLY LAND - Candlelight procession in Jerusalem against the French law on same-sex marriages
Jerusalem (Agenzia Fides) - Even in Jerusalem, as in other cities in the world, spontaneous gatherings are taking place these days to express dissent with the law authorizing the so-called same-sex marriage, which was approved by the French Parliament on 23 April. Since the evening of that day, many French citizens living in Holy Land and belonging to different religions have gathered outside the French Consulate in Jerusalem with a silent vigil to ask for the withdrawal of the law.
Other gatherings of the same kind are scheduled for today and in the coming days. With the light of torches and candles, participants will listen to songs and readings of French authors such as Victor Hugo, Charles Baudelaire and Alexis de Tocqueville, all related to the theme of freedom of conscience.
Bishop William Shomali, Patriarchal Vicar of the Patriarch of Jerusalem of the Latins, in a brief statement reported by the website of the Latin Patriarchate and also sent to Fides Agency has expressed his admiration "for the young and not-so-young who protest silently, peacefully and with dignity, in defending a noble cause: the protection of family and children's rights" (GV) (Agenzia Fides 25/04/2013).
- 2015-11-30 - Inauguration of the "multipurpose room" of the Catholic parish in Gaza
- 2015-11-21 - Caritas Jerusalem: "collective punishment" of the Palestinians must cease
- 2015-11-16 - The Catholic Bishops: fight terrorism without "duplicity"
- 2015-11-05 - The Catholic Bishops: more confessors in the Shrines for the Holy Year of Mercy
- 2015-10-30 - Pilgrims visit Holy Land, despite the violence
- 2015-10-21 - Olive harvest has begun in Gethsemane
- 2015-10-20 - Violence in Jerusalem, the Christian Youth of Palestine announces a prayer vigil for peace
- 2015-10-19 - Patriarch Twal: the "wall of Jerusalem" disfigures the face of the Holy City
- 2015-10-16 - Caritas Jerusalem: pilgrimages cancelled due to the blocks in the neighborhoods of the Holy City
- 2015-10-15 - Religious leaders and Shimon Peres against sectarian violence