ASIA/SYRIA - The Patriarchs of the bishops kidnapped: may God put an end to the tragedy of our people
Damascus (Agenzia Fides) - A plea to the kidnappers so that they respect the life of the hostages, "refrain from any violence which is useful only to the enemies of our country" An appeal to abandon "all that allows or promotes sectarian conflict among those belonging to the same country"; an invitation to" our fellow citizens, of all Islamic sects, to work together, with each other, so as to show that we refuse to consider man as a product to purchase or sell, a shield useful in wars, or a political or financial commodity." These are some of the most eloquent passages of the statement in 7 points signed on Tuesday, April 23 by the Greek-Orthodox Patriarch of Antioch, Yohanna X Yazigi and the Syrian Orthodox Patriarch Mar Zakka I Iwas in relation to the two bishops of Aleppo kidnapped the previous day. One of kidnapped, the Greek-Orthodox Metropolitan of Aleppo Boulos al-Yazigi, is the brother of the Greek-Orthodox Patriarch Yohanna. The other bishop in the hands of the kidnappers is the Syrian Orthodox Metropolitan of Aleppo Mar Gregorios Yohanna Ibrahim.
The sad story of the two bishops kidnapped and their driver killed during the kidnapping gives way to the two Patriarchs to express some cosiderations on the dramatic conditions experienced by the Syrian people and on the future of Christians in the Middle East: "The Christians of these lands" write Yohanna X and Mar Zakka I "are an essential part of the demographic composition of the people to which they belong. They suffer along with every person who is in suffering and work as operators of good, to prevent injustice against those who are mistreated." "We - continue the two Patriarchs - understand the concern of Christians as a consequence of such event. We invite them to be patient, to preserve their faith, relying on God whose strength is also active in our weaknesses. We believe that the stay in our homelands and to do everything possible to be a land of peace and coexistence, is a great and effective tool to defend them." (GV) (Agenzia Fides 24/04/2013).
- 2015-10-02 - Archbishop Hindo " McCain’s disturbing words on anti-Assad rebels armed by the CIA"
- 2015-09-29 - Bishop Abou Khazen: the choices of the West on the Syrian conflict continue to be inconsiderate
- 2015-09-25 - The self-defense "Sotoro" militias shoot each other
- 2015-09-18 - The Marists in Aleppo: there is a risk of getting used to horror
- 2015-09-15 - Four Christians among the victims of the jihadist attack in Hassaké
- 2015-09-08 - Archbishop Hindo: the demands of the jihadists for the release of the Assyrian hostages are more accessible
- 2015-09-04 - Negotiations on the release of father Murad and 270 hostages, Christians and Muslims
- 2015-09-03 - A video and a letter from Father Jacques Murad, the prior of St. Elian kidnapped last May, has been released
- 2015-08-27 - A Syrian television documentary on the Assyrian Genocide projected in the presence of the Syrian Orthodox Patriarch
- 2015-08-26 - Mortar attacks on two churches in Damascus. The Maronite Archbishop: our life is like a game of Russian roulette