AFRICA/LIBYA - Mgr. Martinelli is concerned about yesterday’s attack and saddened by the deaths of two nuns
Tripoli (Agenzia Fides). "It was a terrible thing, the blast was felt in a radius of more than three kilometers. We are all on alert, even if the authorities are busy to restore security," says to Fides Agency His Exc. Mgr. Giovanni Innocenzo Martinelli, Apostolic Vicar of Tripoli, where yesterday 23 April, a car bomb hit the French embassy. Two security officers were injured while the embassy was seriously damaged.
Mgr. Martinelli is also saddened by the death of two nuns in a road accident. "These two nuns of the Little Sisters of Jesus of Charles de Foucauld, Sister Janine-Olga and Sister Therese-Suzanne respectively of Italian and French nationalities, were killed in a car crash outside Tripoli last night," says the Apostolic Vicar. In the incident two other religious were injured.
"They were two nuns who had donated their entire life to serving in Libya. It is a great loss for us. I am really heartbroken but we continue our work by relying on the Lord," concluded Mgr. Martinelli. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 24/04/2013)
- 2014-12-19 - AFRICA/LIBYA – Foreign staff on the run from a looted hospital; health care system collapsing
- 2014-12-04 - AFRICA/LIBYA – Not only local militia, also foreign interests clash in Libya
- 2014-10-24 - Despite the clashes in Benghazi markets are well stocked
- 2014-10-20 - Elements of the Islamic State and Boko Haram are in Libya, says the Prime Minister
- 2014-10-16 - "Bombing continues, with less intensity", says the Apostolic Vicar of Benghazi
- 2014-10-15 - "The population is locked in the house, fighting continues on the outskirts of Benghazi", says the Apostolic Vicar
- 2014-09-25 - Not only in Syria and Iraq, air raids also continue in Libya
- 2014-09-11 - Ethnic groups and oil in the Libyan civil war
- 2014-09-01 - “We no longer hear bomb explosions, the situation would seem calmer” says Bishop Martinelli
- 2014-08-04 - "Even if only one Christian remains I will stay here", says the Apostolic Vicar of Tripoli