AFRICA/LIBYA - Mgr. Martinelli is concerned about yesterday’s attack and saddened by the deaths of two nuns
Tripoli (Agenzia Fides). "It was a terrible thing, the blast was felt in a radius of more than three kilometers. We are all on alert, even if the authorities are busy to restore security," says to Fides Agency His Exc. Mgr. Giovanni Innocenzo Martinelli, Apostolic Vicar of Tripoli, where yesterday 23 April, a car bomb hit the French embassy. Two security officers were injured while the embassy was seriously damaged.
Mgr. Martinelli is also saddened by the death of two nuns in a road accident. "These two nuns of the Little Sisters of Jesus of Charles de Foucauld, Sister Janine-Olga and Sister Therese-Suzanne respectively of Italian and French nationalities, were killed in a car crash outside Tripoli last night," says the Apostolic Vicar. In the incident two other religious were injured.
"They were two nuns who had donated their entire life to serving in Libya. It is a great loss for us. I am really heartbroken but we continue our work by relying on the Lord," concluded Mgr. Martinelli. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 24/04/2013)
- 2014-02-14 AFRICA/LIBYA - Rumors of a coup denied: "calm situation in Tripoli", say Fides sources
- 2013-11-26 AFRICA/LIBYA - " Despite the uncertainty of today I am confident that peace can explode" said Mgr. Martinelli
- 2013-09-04 AFRICA/LIBYA - Threats to the distribution of water in Tripoli
- 2013-09-03 AFRICA/LIBYA - Libya struggles to find stability two years after Gaddafi’s escape from Tripoli
- 2013-05-20 AFRICA/LIBYA - Attack near the Catholic church in Benghazi
- 2013-04-24 AFRICA/LIBYA - Mgr. Martinelli is concerned about yesterday’s attack and saddened by the deaths of two nuns
- 2013-03-04 AFRICA/LIBYA - Catholic priest attacked in Tripoli
- 2013-02-14 AFRICA/LIBYA - "The nuns, except those of Benghazi, have left Cyrenaica"
- 2013-01-31 AFRICA/LIBYA - Two religious communities forced to leave Cyrenaica, complaint by Mgr. Martinelli, "In coming days we expect difficult times"
- 2013-01-25 AFRICA/LIBYA - Some Western countries invite their countrymen to leave Benghazi