AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Even a nurse of the Diocese of Torit among the victims of clashes between military and civilians
Juba (Agenzia Fides) – Calm is back again in the village of Lorema in Budi County (Eastern Equatoria State in South Sudan) where last week 5 people were killed in clashes between the army and the local population. According to reports from Radio Emmanuel, among the dead were two soldiers and three civilians, including a nurse who worked at the local health center run by the Diocese of Torit. A child and two women were also injured at the health facility.
A part of the population has fled, including 30 children who marched for 33 km before arriving in two other villages.
The Minister for the administration of the Eastern Equatoria State has initiated talks to resolve the dispute between the local authorities and community leaders.
The new state of South Sudan (which gained independence in July 2011) has to cope with insecurity in several areas due to the presence of some guerrilla groups and the strong spread of weapons among the population. The security forces are also accused, according to the latest report of the U.S. State Department, of committing serious abuses against civilians, including extrajudicial murders and rapes. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 22/04/2013)
- 2014-04-15 - Christian leaders’ appeal: "Stop the violence, this is not the future for which the people of the Country voted"
- 2014-03-11 - Inauguration of the pediatric wing of the hospital in Yirol
- 2014-03-07 - "The South Sudanese people will come out of this crisis stronger than";fifty years from the expulsion of the missionaries
- 2014-03-03 - Malakal, a city of 250,000 inhabitants, completely deserted after the rebel attacks: the testimony of a missionary to Fides
- 2014-02-27 - “Let us work together for peace”: Bishop Taban urges Muslim community
- 2014-02-25 - “Our place is here”: caring for mothers and infants in need of medical attention
- 2014-02-20 - "Civil society needs to be involved in future peace negotiations", said the Nuncio
- 2014-02-19 - Uncertain situation in Malakal, at the center of the fighting between government and rebels
- 2014-02-18 - The truce has been violated: fighting in Malakal has resumed
- 2014-02-12 - New round of peace talks in South Sudan