AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Even a nurse of the Diocese of Torit among the victims of clashes between military and civilians
Juba (Agenzia Fides) – Calm is back again in the village of Lorema in Budi County (Eastern Equatoria State in South Sudan) where last week 5 people were killed in clashes between the army and the local population. According to reports from Radio Emmanuel, among the dead were two soldiers and three civilians, including a nurse who worked at the local health center run by the Diocese of Torit. A child and two women were also injured at the health facility.
A part of the population has fled, including 30 children who marched for 33 km before arriving in two other villages.
The Minister for the administration of the Eastern Equatoria State has initiated talks to resolve the dispute between the local authorities and community leaders.
The new state of South Sudan (which gained independence in July 2011) has to cope with insecurity in several areas due to the presence of some guerrilla groups and the strong spread of weapons among the population. The security forces are also accused, according to the latest report of the U.S. State Department, of committing serious abuses against civilians, including extrajudicial murders and rapes. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 22/04/2013)
- 2013-11-29 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - In November, 4 death sentences were carried out despite appeals for a moratorium on capital punishment
- 2013-11-18 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Foundation stone laid at the Catholic University of South Sudan
- 2013-08-06 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Emergency cases of measles complicated in addition to 1,500 of malaria
- 2013-07-25 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Tense Climate after the deposition of the government
- 2013-07-24 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN – Food emergency for thousands of people who have fled into the forests of the State of Jonglei
- 2013-07-24 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Bishop Kussala: "The military presence is not the solution"
- 2013-07-09 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Abolition of the death penalty: appeal on the 2nd anniversary of the independence of South Sudan
- 2013-07-03 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Catholic Radio station in Rumbek resumes broadcasting
- 2013-07-01 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Alarm measles for 10 counties in the Country
- 2013-06-20 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - A day of prayer for national reconciliation has been announced