AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Even a nurse of the Diocese of Torit among the victims of clashes between military and civilians
Juba (Agenzia Fides) – Calm is back again in the village of Lorema in Budi County (Eastern Equatoria State in South Sudan) where last week 5 people were killed in clashes between the army and the local population. According to reports from Radio Emmanuel, among the dead were two soldiers and three civilians, including a nurse who worked at the local health center run by the Diocese of Torit. A child and two women were also injured at the health facility.
A part of the population has fled, including 30 children who marched for 33 km before arriving in two other villages.
The Minister for the administration of the Eastern Equatoria State has initiated talks to resolve the dispute between the local authorities and community leaders.
The new state of South Sudan (which gained independence in July 2011) has to cope with insecurity in several areas due to the presence of some guerrilla groups and the strong spread of weapons among the population. The security forces are also accused, according to the latest report of the U.S. State Department, of committing serious abuses against civilians, including extrajudicial murders and rapes. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 22/04/2013)
- 2015-03-24 - "Inexperience and corruption are the cause of civil war" says the Bishop of Wau
- 2015-03-11 - The suffering of the population will increase with the war; the Church is making huge efforts
- 2015-03-10 - The civil war is likely to resume after the failure of Negotiations
- 2015-02-26 - A simple ambulance service can save the lives of hundreds of mothers and children
- 2015-02-19 - Elections postponed: a contribution towards peace
- 2015-02-10 - The UN: over 2.5 million people face food emergency because of the civil war
- 2015-02-04 - Year of Consecrated Life: Religious committed to healing the wounds of the Civil War
- 2015-01-30 - The Bishops denounce: "Land grabbing threatens the stability of the Country"
- 2015-01-16 - The importance of "true hospitality" towards refugees
- 2014-12-15 - Memorial Mass for the victims and for peace, a year after the outbreak of the Civil War