ASIA/INDIA - Sexual abuse concerning 50 thousand children in 10 years: "What is the value of life?" Asks the Church
Delhi (Agenzia Fides) - "What is the value of human life? What meaning does it have?: "From this question of meaning one must start, at a cultural, anthropological and religious level, to seek answers to the sad phenomenon of violence and sexual abuse on minors, which in India reached a record of 48,338 cases in the decade 2001-2011. This was stated to Fides Agency by Fr. Dominic D'Abreo, spokesman for the Catholic Bishops' Conference of India, commenting on the latest case of a 5-year-old girl in Delhi, kidnapped and raped repeatedly for 48 hours by two torturers, who were arrested by the police.
"We are very sad - says Fr. D’Abreo to Fides - the whole country is in shock. These episodes ruin the name and image of the nation. People of every religion are shocked and protest. The government and NGOs are making efforts to eradicate the phenomenon. It is urgent to work on awareness in society at the grassroot level, not just at a high level. Everyone must take charge of the responsibility "
A recent report sent to Fides by the "Asian Centre for Human Rights," rattles off impressive figures: according to official statistics, a total of 48,338 cases of rapes of children was recorded in the decade 2001-2011, with an increase of 336% of the cases between 2001 (2.113 cases) and in 2011 (7.112 cases). These are only cases reported and verified. On the roots of the phenomenon, Fr. D’Abreo, indicates "a culture that relies entirely on money, pleasure, power," and has neglected the value and the profound meaning of human life. "Life is degraded: one no longer asks what meaning does it have", fundamental question for the life of every man.
This is why, he explains, "education, the development of consciousness and here the Church does a lot especially in remote areas and with poor and marginalized groups, are certainly fields where more work has to be done." "It is our special mission field - adds the priest – with which we contribute to the improvement of society." At a legislative level, finally, "the laws are there but have to be applied," notes the Spokesman of the Bishops, calling for "education and awareness in the family are to be carried out which are the basis of society." (PA) (Agenzia Fides 22/04/2013)
- 2015-08-28 - India is polio-free: thanks to the collaboration between State and Church
- 2015-08-26 - Census on religions: Muslims increas, Christians stable
- 2015-08-25 - "No more violence": anniversary of anti-Christian massacres in Orissa
- 2015-08-24 - A Christian Forum urges the Government of Orissa to protect Christians
- 2015-08-21 - The Daughters of Mary Help of Christians open a new convent in the state of Orissa
- 2015-08-04 - ASIA/INDIA – Over half a million children engaged in risky work in cotton fields
- 2015-07-28 - Tribal priestesses help preserve millet
- 2015-07-20 - The Franciscans: no to violence against women
- 2015-07-03 - One hundred years of mission in the media for the Daughters of St. Paul
- 2015-07-02 - Stop violence against women