VATICAN - "Finding the right and peaceful paths to overcome the crisis," Pope's appeal for Venezuela
Vatican City (Agenzia Fides) - As Cardinal Urosa Savino, Archbishop of Caracas launched an appeal for calm and relaxation Pope Francis, in the Sunday prayer of the Regina Caeli, called "the beloved Venezuelan people, especially decision makers and politicians, to firmly reject any kind of violence, and to establish a dialogue based on truth, in mutual recognition, in the search for the common good and love for the nation."
In front of St. Peter's Square crowded with the faithful from all over the world, Pope Francis’ words were very strong: "I closely follow the events that are happening in Venezuela. I accompany them with deep concern, with intense prayer and with the hope that right and peaceful paths are found to overcome the serious difficulties the country is going through."
After a week since the elections in the South American country, which saw the victory of Maduro, different political groups have expressed their rejection of the election results with demonstrations, which have resulted in clashes that caused 8 deaths. The Catholic Church offered itself as a mediator to overcome this situation (see Fides 18/04/2013). "It is necessary to resolve this crisis. It is necessary to tone down the rhetoric of confrontation," said Cardinal Urosa to the press yesterday. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 22/04/2013)
- 2015-02-10 - VATICAN – World Day of the Sick: the Church runs 115 352 health care and social assistance institutes in the world
- 2015-02-04 - On February 8: "Shine a light against human trafficking"
- 2015-01-26 - Cardinal Filoni celebrates the 50th anniversary of the diocese of Xuan Loc, "may families and parishes become God’s families"
- 2015-01-23 - Cardinal Filoni at the Shrine of La Vang entrusts the work of evangelization to the Virgin
- 2015-01-22 - Solidarity of the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples to the Church of Niger
- 2015-01-20 - Church of Vietnam: "path of conversion and to a strong commitment to evangelization"
- 2015-01-20 - Cardinal. Filoni in Vietnam: "a living Church," distinguished from "the steadfast Faith of the Vietnamese faithful"
- 2015-01-19 - Cardinal Filoni, Prefect of the Congregation, on a pastoral visit in Vietnam
- 2015-01-14 - Saint Joseph Vaz, an example of missionary zeal
- 2015-01-07 - Pope Francis on the Day of Missionary Childhood: "Children announcers of the Gospel"