VATICAN - "Finding the right and peaceful paths to overcome the crisis," Pope's appeal for Venezuela
Vatican City (Agenzia Fides) - As Cardinal Urosa Savino, Archbishop of Caracas launched an appeal for calm and relaxation Pope Francis, in the Sunday prayer of the Regina Caeli, called "the beloved Venezuelan people, especially decision makers and politicians, to firmly reject any kind of violence, and to establish a dialogue based on truth, in mutual recognition, in the search for the common good and love for the nation."
In front of St. Peter's Square crowded with the faithful from all over the world, Pope Francis’ words were very strong: "I closely follow the events that are happening in Venezuela. I accompany them with deep concern, with intense prayer and with the hope that right and peaceful paths are found to overcome the serious difficulties the country is going through."
After a week since the elections in the South American country, which saw the victory of Maduro, different political groups have expressed their rejection of the election results with demonstrations, which have resulted in clashes that caused 8 deaths. The Catholic Church offered itself as a mediator to overcome this situation (see Fides 18/04/2013). "It is necessary to resolve this crisis. It is necessary to tone down the rhetoric of confrontation," said Cardinal Urosa to the press yesterday. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 22/04/2013)
- 2015-05-21 - The Pope recalls the Day of Prayer for the Church in China on May 24
- 2015-05-18 - Archbishop Romero will be the patron of Caritas Internationalis
- 2015-05-04 - Cardinal Filoni ordains 14 deacons from Africa and Asia: "you must have a missionary heart"
- 2015-04-29 - For a "Christian commitment" in the fight against human trafficking
- 2015-04-13 - Jubilee of Mercy: "This is a time for the Church to rediscover the meaning of the mission entrusted to her by the Lord"
- 2015-04-09 - Cardinal Filoni: Iraqi families all expect to be able to return to their homes, and we are ready to help them start over
- 2015-04-08 - Easter 2015: "Our brothers and sisters are persecuted, exiled, killed and beheaded simply because they are Christians, they are our martyrs of today"
- 2015-03-30 - The Pope: "We think of our brothers and sisters who are persecuted because they are Christians, the martyrs of our own time"
- 2015-03-27 - Cardinal Filoni returns to Iraq to express the closeness and affection of the Pope to displaced families
- 2015-03-16 - VATICAN – Pope Francis: "Our brothers' and sisters' blood is shed only because they are Christians"