VATICAN - "Finding the right and peaceful paths to overcome the crisis," Pope's appeal for Venezuela
Vatican City (Agenzia Fides) - As Cardinal Urosa Savino, Archbishop of Caracas launched an appeal for calm and relaxation Pope Francis, in the Sunday prayer of the Regina Caeli, called "the beloved Venezuelan people, especially decision makers and politicians, to firmly reject any kind of violence, and to establish a dialogue based on truth, in mutual recognition, in the search for the common good and love for the nation."
In front of St. Peter's Square crowded with the faithful from all over the world, Pope Francis’ words were very strong: "I closely follow the events that are happening in Venezuela. I accompany them with deep concern, with intense prayer and with the hope that right and peaceful paths are found to overcome the serious difficulties the country is going through."
After a week since the elections in the South American country, which saw the victory of Maduro, different political groups have expressed their rejection of the election results with demonstrations, which have resulted in clashes that caused 8 deaths. The Catholic Church offered itself as a mediator to overcome this situation (see Fides 18/04/2013). "It is necessary to resolve this crisis. It is necessary to tone down the rhetoric of confrontation," said Cardinal Urosa to the press yesterday. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 22/04/2013)
- 2015-11-30 - Cardinal Filoni’s report: those who do not know Christ and the challenges for the Church increase
- 2015-11-27 - Plenary Assembly of the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples: missionary awareness and young Churches 50 years after the Ad Gentes Decree
- 2015-11-12 - Statement from the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples
- 2015-11-03 - Pope's appeal for Central Africa: "put an end to this cycle of violence"
- 2015-10-29 - Cardinal Filoni: Only peace will save the indigenous Christian communities in Mesopotamia
- 2015-10-28 - Appeal from the 5 continents: "The fight against climate change must respect the rights of the poor"
- 2015-10-28 - Urbaniana University: to form men and women capable of becoming bridges of relationships and instruments of mutual understanding
- 2015-10-16 - The Missionary Rosary for World Mission Day and the 50th anniversary of the "Ad Gentes" decree
- 2015-10-02 - Cardinal Filoni opens the formative year: "called to live the joy of the Gospel"
- 2015-10-01 - With the feast of St. Therese of Lisieux, October, month of the missions begins