AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - The Central African Countries promise another 2000 men to ensure safety
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - Other two thousand men will be sent by the Economic Community of Central African Countries (ECCAS) to strengthen the contingent already present in the Central African Republic (FOMAC).
This was decided by the Extraordinary Summit held on 18 April in N'Djamena, the Chadian capital, which was attended by the President of Chad, Idriss Déby, Ali Bongo Ondimba of Gabon, the Republic of Congo Denis Sassou Nguesso, and South Africa's Jacob Zuma. The Central African Republic was represented by the Premier of transition, Nicolas Tiangaye. The soldiers will have the task of helping to stabilize the situation and to ensure a minimum level of security in the face of riots and looting that exacerbate the already difficult conditions of the population (see the testimonies collected by Fides in recent days: cf. Fides 15/04 /2013, 16/04/2013, 18/04/2013).
ECCAS leaders reiterated that the new head of State, the head of the rebel coalition Seleka, Michel Djotodia, Prime Minister Tiangaye and members of the government and the National Transitional Council will not be able to stand for the elections scheduled at the end of the 18-month transition period. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 19/04/2013)
- 2014-03-05 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Imam of Bangui: "If we want peace, we must be impartial and condemn all forms of violence"
- 2014-02-26 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC – Work goes on at Bangui university despite chaos
- 2014-02-24 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC - “churches and mosques must be rid of armed infiltrators”: say the Catholic Archbishop and the Imam of Bangui
- 2014-02-18 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The Anti Balaka are doing more damage than Seleka", says a missionary
- 2014-02-14 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "God exists and God knows"
- 2014-02-10 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Religious leaders’ appeal: "Do not drag religion into political conflict"
- 2014-02-07 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "Christians and Muslims: the same blood, the same language, the same Country"
- 2014-02-04 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The situation in Bouar is a bit calmer although there are reprisals against the Muslims"
- 2014-01-27 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – Are the Anti Balaka really a "Christian militia"?
- 2014-01-23 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The State has collapsed, UN intervention is needed": appeal of the Archbishop of Bangui and the Imam