AMERICA/PARAGUAY – Vote-buying is a serious sin ", warns the Apostolic Vicar of Pilcomayo
Pilcomayo (Agenzia Fides) - "Vote-buying is not only a fraud but it is also a shame." Warned Mgr. Lucio Alfert, O.M.I., Apostolic Vicar of Pilcomayo, in Paraguay. "It is a sin to be on the part of both buyers and those who sell, " said Mgr. Alfert, adding however that" the most serious sin is he who buys, because it is more educated, knows what he is doing and has authority. The seller is less educated, he needs to eat, and the buyer takes advantage openly about his state of need."
According to a note sent to Fides, Mgr. Alfert urged the natives to be more aware and "not to sell their freedom for a bit of money or food." The Apostolic Vicar also pointed out that there are now locals who choose freely, by no longer selling their vote, unlike before when the exchange of vote had become a scourge because everyone else was doing it. Mgr. Alfert finally reported that there are also people "who pretend to play the game, accepting food offered by a candidate, but then when they vote, vote for someone else." (CE) (Agenzia Fides 19/04/2013)
AMERICA/PARAGUAY – VOTE
- 2015-05-15 - Archbishop Valenzuela Mellid: "We all have to be responsible in carrying out our duties"
- 2015-05-07 - The Church condemns the criminal violence that killed three people and a politician
- 2015-04-27 - Indigenous people live in poverty but maintain their traditions
- 2015-03-04 - The appeal of 450 thousand working children: "We do not want to be exploited"
- 2014-12-09 - On the feast day of Our Lady of Caacupé bishop denounces corruption and drug trafficking
- 2014-12-04 - Paraguayan Missionaries join fellow Paraguayans in Argentina to celebrate Our Lady of Caacupé
- 2014-12-01 - Novena to Our Lady of Caacupé, opportunity to reflect on the rights of the defenseless and the responsibilities of politicians
- 2014-11-25 - The Church is not discouraged because of the drug trade, it will continue to fight for justice and peace
- 2014-11-14 - In defense of family rights: draft law rejected
- 2014-11-10 - The Bishops' Conference asks to "put a stop to corruption"