AMERICA/PARAGUAY – Vote-buying is a serious sin ", warns the Apostolic Vicar of Pilcomayo
Pilcomayo (Agenzia Fides) - "Vote-buying is not only a fraud but it is also a shame." Warned Mgr. Lucio Alfert, O.M.I., Apostolic Vicar of Pilcomayo, in Paraguay. "It is a sin to be on the part of both buyers and those who sell, " said Mgr. Alfert, adding however that" the most serious sin is he who buys, because it is more educated, knows what he is doing and has authority. The seller is less educated, he needs to eat, and the buyer takes advantage openly about his state of need."
According to a note sent to Fides, Mgr. Alfert urged the natives to be more aware and "not to sell their freedom for a bit of money or food." The Apostolic Vicar also pointed out that there are now locals who choose freely, by no longer selling their vote, unlike before when the exchange of vote had become a scourge because everyone else was doing it. Mgr. Alfert finally reported that there are also people "who pretend to play the game, accepting food offered by a candidate, but then when they vote, vote for someone else." (CE) (Agenzia Fides 19/04/2013)
- 2014-10-06 - Thousands of children abused and forced to live on the street
- 2014-09-29 - The natives are victims of poverty and racism
- 2014-09-15 - “Terrorism can never be combatted with terrorism”; local Catholic church denounces military violence
- 2014-07-28 - Thousands of children displaced due to the floods
- 2014-06-04 - Tension among the population of Ñacunday and Saint Lucia
- 2014-05-27 - Isolated due to the rain and without the aid of the authorities, "but we are also Paraguayans", cries the Vicar Apostolic of Chaco Paraguayo
- 2014-04-10 - A march for the freedom of 5 peasants on hunger strike, accused of the Curuguaty massacre
- 2014-03-27 - General strike in the country; the Church supports those demanding justice and social solidarity
- 2014-03-07 - Dialogue between the Church and civil authorities on the problems regarding the population
- 2014-03-06 - The Church calls for "fair justice"