AMERICA/PARAGUAY - "The elections are an example of civilization to strengthen democracy," the Bishops hope
Asunción (Agenzia Fides) - A few days before the general elections, the Bishops of Paraguay launch an appeal for "the pacification of spirits, leaving out any attitude of fanaticism, of confrontation and violence".
In a statement sent to Fides, the Episcopal Conference of Paraguay has turned to political parties and civil society inviting them to prudence and mutual respect and to "avoid any action or situation which could lead to violence and endanger the lives and safety of people."
The statement concluded by wishing "that the general elections to be held on April 21 are an example of civility, tolerance and respect among the Paraguayans, to strengthen democracy and work together for a more just society, thereby permitting access to a dignified life for all those who live in this country" (CE) (Agenzia Fides 19/04/2013)
- 2015-04-27 - Indigenous people live in poverty but maintain their traditions
- 2015-03-04 - The appeal of 450 thousand working children: "We do not want to be exploited"
- 2014-12-09 - On the feast day of Our Lady of Caacupé bishop denounces corruption and drug trafficking
- 2014-12-04 - Paraguayan Missionaries join fellow Paraguayans in Argentina to celebrate Our Lady of Caacupé
- 2014-12-01 - Novena to Our Lady of Caacupé, opportunity to reflect on the rights of the defenseless and the responsibilities of politicians
- 2014-11-25 - The Church is not discouraged because of the drug trade, it will continue to fight for justice and peace
- 2014-11-14 - In defense of family rights: draft law rejected
- 2014-11-10 - The Bishops' Conference asks to "put a stop to corruption"
- 2014-11-07 - The Bishops in defense of indigenous people appeal to the InterAmerican Commission on Human Rights
- 2014-10-06 - Thousands of children abused and forced to live on the street