AMERICA/PARAGUAY - "The elections are an example of civilization to strengthen democracy," the Bishops hope
Asunción (Agenzia Fides) - A few days before the general elections, the Bishops of Paraguay launch an appeal for "the pacification of spirits, leaving out any attitude of fanaticism, of confrontation and violence".
In a statement sent to Fides, the Episcopal Conference of Paraguay has turned to political parties and civil society inviting them to prudence and mutual respect and to "avoid any action or situation which could lead to violence and endanger the lives and safety of people."
The statement concluded by wishing "that the general elections to be held on April 21 are an example of civility, tolerance and respect among the Paraguayans, to strengthen democracy and work together for a more just society, thereby permitting access to a dignified life for all those who live in this country" (CE) (Agenzia Fides 19/04/2013)
- 2014-07-28 - Thousands of children displaced due to the floods
- 2014-06-04 - Tension among the population of Ñacunday and Saint Lucia
- 2014-05-27 - Isolated due to the rain and without the aid of the authorities, "but we are also Paraguayans", cries the Vicar Apostolic of Chaco Paraguayo
- 2014-04-10 - A march for the freedom of 5 peasants on hunger strike, accused of the Curuguaty massacre
- 2014-03-27 - General strike in the country; the Church supports those demanding justice and social solidarity
- 2014-03-07 - Dialogue between the Church and civil authorities on the problems regarding the population
- 2014-03-06 - The Church calls for "fair justice"
- 2014-02-24 - Campaign to vaccinate children against measles and rubella
- 2014-02-21 - Half a million child laborers, exploited in activities which are dangerous to health and safety
- 2014-01-08 - A group of religious women involved in the protection of young orphans