AFRICA/MADAGASCAR - National dialogue mediated by the Ecumenical Council of Christian Churches begins
Antananarivo (Agenzia Fides) - Today, April 18, at the headquarters of the Ecumenical Council of Christian Churches (FFKM) of Antananarivo talks of national reconciliation begin, to try to get Madagascar out of the institutional political crisis which began in 2009 with the forced resignation of President Marc Ravalomanana.
Participants include the main political leaders and representatives of civil society. Among these are the
former presidents Didier Ratsiraka and Albert Zafy, as well as the current President of the Transitional Authority, Andry Rajoelina. Marc Ravalomanana, instead is in South Africa, where he has been living in exile since 2009.
FFKM led by the Catholic Archbishop of Antananarivo, His Excellency Msg. Odon Marie Arsène Razanakolona. aims to develop a statement of intent signed by all participants in view of the presidential elections in July. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 18/04/2013)
- 2014-01-17 AFRICA/MADAGASCAR - Hery Rajaonarimampianina is the new Head of State
- 2013-12-21 AFRICA/MADAGASCAR - 5 million people exposed to plague
- 2013-11-21 AFRICA/MADAGASCAR - The Bishops: "heal the wounds caused by the political crisis"
- 2013-10-10 AFRICA/MADAGASCAR - In the wake of the cyclone Haruna
- 2013-10-07 AFRICA/MADAGASCAR - Eight children have disappeared from Nosy Be
- 2013-10-04 AFRICA/MADAGASCAR - Still tension in Nosy Be after the killing of three people accused of having killed and mutilated a child
- 2013-07-05 AFRICA/MADAGASCAR - Agreement for the participation of former President Ravalomanana at the next meeting of reconciliation
- 2013-05-02 AFRICA/MADAGASCAR - Food insecurity opens the door to tuberculosis
- 2013-04-18 AFRICA/MADAGASCAR - National dialogue mediated by the Ecumenical Council of Christian Churches begins
- 2013-03-05 AFRICA/MADAGASCAR - One person was killed in a demonstration against the alleged killers of Sister Marie Emmanuel