AMERICA/VENEZUELA - The church offers itself as a guarantor of peace before the violence in the country
Caracas (Agenzia Fides) - "We call upon the political and social leaders not to use offensive, derogatory and inflammatory language. In order to avoid clashes on the streets that often result in violence and sometimes in the death of people. As Christians we are supposed to be on the side of the weak, we must forgive and fight for union to prevail over division, love over hate, peace over violence, " said a statement sent to Fides by the Episcopal Conference of Venezuela, where tension remains high after the violent post-election clashes, which caused at least 7 deaths while the police have arrested several people. The Bishops propose themselves as guarantors to facilitate political dialogue.
Yesterday, on Wednesday, April 17, Henrique Capriles decided to give up the demonstration in Caracas, after the president-elect Nicolas Maduro announced his intention to ban it. The aim was to reach the seat of the NEC (National Electoral Council), to hand over to those responsible the request to review the outcome of the presidential election.
Capriles told the press that "the only thing we ask is the control over the results of the vote. If they do not believe in democracy, they may as well say that a coup is being done," he added, alluding to Maduro. The political tension after the presidential election has also reached the Venezuelan Parliament, where a member of the Democratic Action Party (opposition), Williams Davila, alleged he was attacked while the president of the Assembly, Diosdado Cabello, announced that he will not give the word to any Member that has not recognized the victory in the presidential election of Nicolás Maduro. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 18/04/2013)
- 2014-07-14 - "Give teachers their salaries": church’s appeal in favor of teachers
- 2014-07-12 - "It is impossible to find a solution if you do not listen to the people", say the Bishops
- 2014-07-09 - The Assembly of Bishops begins: defeat pessimism and allow hope to grow
- 2014-06-25 - National holiday marked by demonstrations
- 2014-06-23 - Young people on hunger strike, the situation is still blocked
- 2014-05-21 - AMERICA/VENEZUELA – Dialogue resumes, but we need facts not promises
- 2014-05-14 - AMERICA/VENEZUELA – What is feared is the failure of peace talks, today new student demonstration
- 2014-04-16 - "The situation of the country does not depend only on a political issue", said Mgr. Parra Sandoval
- 2014-04-14 - Cardinal Urosa invites to find every possible path to solve the serious problems in the country, due to general discomfort
- 2014-04-11 - Pope Francis writes to Venezuelan leaders and opposition ahead of key talks