AMERICA/ARGENTINA - Bishops to the government: "More consultations on reforms, or democracy weakens "
Buenos Aires (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops of Argentina ask the government for more time, more consultations, a more in-depth analysis and debate on draft laws crucial to the institutions in the country: is what was said in a statement, titled "Justice, Democracy and the Constitution," drawn up by nearly one hundred Bishops from all over the country who are meeting this week, under the guidance of Mgr. Jose Maria Aranceto, President of the Episcopal Conference. As reported to Fides Agency by the local Church, it is common practice that the Assembly publishes a communiqué at the end of the meeting, but this time the Bishops wanted to speak first, given the importance and criticality of the moment that crosses the political life of the country. They are in fact different discussion draft laws that touch on issues crucial to democracy, such as the reform of the judiciary power, that the government is trying to push through with a procedure called "express", that is, so that proposals go from the House to the Senate quickly, without any modification.
The Bishops’ statement, sent to Fides, said: "The draft laws that are under discussion, in order to reform the administration of justice include aspects that deserve a deeper reasoning for the importance of the subject they deal with. Therefore, extensive consultations, discussions is required in order to reach a coherent consensus with the size of the proposed changes. ""We understand – explains the bishops' Conference –that, dealing with the significant reforms quickly, one runs the risk of weakening the republican democracy, as enshrined in our Constitution, right on one of its fundamental aspects, which is the autonomy of its three powers ". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 17/04/2013)
- 2014-09-06 - The life of every migrant demands we build a new world; migrants’ pilgrimage to Luján
- 2014-09-04 - Announcing Christ on the streets: “committed to mission” for the archdiocese of Salta
- 2014-09-03 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – The Month of the Bible, ideal context for giving new impulse to the evangelising mission of the Church
- 2014-08-21 - The Church launches an alarm regarding the increase of suicides among teenagers
- 2014-08-06 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – Pope Francis welcomes the opening of a reception center for victims of sexual exploitation
- 2014-07-08 - After 38 years the killers of the Bishop who fought for hope and dignity have been condemned
- 2014-06-27 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – Social Week begins, to promote "the culture of meeting"
- 2014-06-26 - A city in march against consumption and illicit drug trafficking
- 2014-06-25 - Bishops concerned about the national economic situation
- 2014-06-18 - A video against drugs: the Church launches a campaign on social networking sites