AMERICA/ARGENTINA - Bishops to the government: "More consultations on reforms, or democracy weakens "
Buenos Aires (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops of Argentina ask the government for more time, more consultations, a more in-depth analysis and debate on draft laws crucial to the institutions in the country: is what was said in a statement, titled "Justice, Democracy and the Constitution," drawn up by nearly one hundred Bishops from all over the country who are meeting this week, under the guidance of Mgr. Jose Maria Aranceto, President of the Episcopal Conference. As reported to Fides Agency by the local Church, it is common practice that the Assembly publishes a communiqué at the end of the meeting, but this time the Bishops wanted to speak first, given the importance and criticality of the moment that crosses the political life of the country. They are in fact different discussion draft laws that touch on issues crucial to democracy, such as the reform of the judiciary power, that the government is trying to push through with a procedure called "express", that is, so that proposals go from the House to the Senate quickly, without any modification.
The Bishops’ statement, sent to Fides, said: "The draft laws that are under discussion, in order to reform the administration of justice include aspects that deserve a deeper reasoning for the importance of the subject they deal with. Therefore, extensive consultations, discussions is required in order to reach a coherent consensus with the size of the proposed changes. ""We understand – explains the bishops' Conference –that, dealing with the significant reforms quickly, one runs the risk of weakening the republican democracy, as enshrined in our Constitution, right on one of its fundamental aspects, which is the autonomy of its three powers ". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 17/04/2013)
- 2015-11-27 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – For the Bishops: to encourage gambling addiction "is a crime against the poorest"
- 2015-11-25 - New President: the Church hopes stronger solidarity policies for vulnerable sectors
- 2015-11-20 - Thousands occupy houses and land, the Bishop denounces the absence of state authorities
- 2015-11-17 - Family, formation of priests, environmental problems: the topics analyzed by the Bishops
- 2015-11-11 - 140 years ago the first group of Salesian missionaries arrived in Patagonia
- 2015-11-09 - Assembly of Bishops in progress: Eucharistic Congress, family and priestly formation Buenos
- 2015-11-05 - Mining company withdraws from La Rioja: statement of the Bishop and the Deputy Governor
- 2015-11-04 - The request of the diocese to the State: "Do not suspend the subsidies to schools"
- 2015-11-03 - National Day of the Sick, an opportunity aimed to arouse greater sensitivity
- 2015-10-26 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – First stage of Bishop’s beatification process expected to take two years