AFRICA/NIGERIA - "Amnesty can be granted to Boko Haram only if they repent and reimburse the victims"
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - "To continue on the path of simple repression alone does not solve the problem of Boko Haram. On the contrary it worsens things. So we have to at least consider the possibility of another way of doing things. The amnesty for Boko Haram must be considered as an option to stop the violence. In any war at some point you have to start talking among the contenders and I think that now is the moment. It is better to talk than shoot.
In one of my recent speeches (see Fides 06/04/2013), however, I also made it clear that we cannot talk of granting amnesty to those who do not recognize the evil they have done, by repenting. Secondly, they must be ready to pay for the evil done, and reimburse the victims. Without these two conditions, amnesty cannot be offered." With this statement to Fides His Eminence Cardinal John Olorunfemi Onaiyekan Archbishop of Abuja, wishes to reaffirm his thought in relation to the possibility of granting amnesty to members of the Boko Haram sect. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 17/04/2013)
- 2014-08-22 - More than 11,000 people fleeing due to the conquest of their city by Boko Haram
- 2014-08-20 - "Ill-gotten wealth from oil bunkering could be used to destabilize", said the Bishop of Umuahia
- 2014-08-19 - AFRICA/NIGERIA – "It is worrying to see Boko Haram trying to conquer territories", said the Archbishop of Lagos
- 2014-08-06 - New attacks against Catholic churches. The details of the attack in Kano perpetrated by a female suicide bomber
- 2014-07-17 - The President intends to ask a billion dollars to fight Boko Haram
- 2014-07-07 - More than two thousand women widowed largely by the Boko Haram insurgency assisted by the Diocese of Maiduguri
- 2014-06-30 - New attacks in the north: the Bishop of Maiduguri, "the human mind cannot understand what is going on"
- 2014-06-26 - "Let us seek the path of dialogue to end violence", says to Fides Cardinal Onaiyekan
- 2014-06-11 - The Bishops: "necessary to ensure the rights of all religions throughout the Country"
- 2014-06-10 - "Yes to amnesty for Boko Haram, as long as there is sincere repentance and compensation for the victims" says Cardinal Onaiyekan