AFRICA/NIGERIA - "Amnesty can be granted to Boko Haram only if they repent and reimburse the victims"
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - "To continue on the path of simple repression alone does not solve the problem of Boko Haram. On the contrary it worsens things. So we have to at least consider the possibility of another way of doing things. The amnesty for Boko Haram must be considered as an option to stop the violence. In any war at some point you have to start talking among the contenders and I think that now is the moment. It is better to talk than shoot.
In one of my recent speeches (see Fides 06/04/2013), however, I also made it clear that we cannot talk of granting amnesty to those who do not recognize the evil they have done, by repenting. Secondly, they must be ready to pay for the evil done, and reimburse the victims. Without these two conditions, amnesty cannot be offered." With this statement to Fides His Eminence Cardinal John Olorunfemi Onaiyekan Archbishop of Abuja, wishes to reaffirm his thought in relation to the possibility of granting amnesty to members of the Boko Haram sect. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 17/04/2013)
- 2014-10-28 - There has not been any negotiation so far with the "real" Boko Haram
- 2014-10-23 - New attacks and another 60 girls kidnapped: the possibility of a truce with Boko Haram vanishes
- 2014-10-07 - New toll of the violence perpetrated by Boko Haram: 185 churches destroyed and 190,000 civilians flee
- 2014-09-26 - "I have never uttered those sentences on the CAN President", said Mgr. Kaigama
- 2014-09-24 - The Bishops’ warning: "In the face of Boko Haram, the nation is in danger"
- 2014-09-19 - There are 25 cities in the hands of Boko Haram: the complaint of the Bishop of Maiduguri
- 2014-09-16 - AFRICA/NIGERIA – Death sentence for military: insecurity symptom among troops combatting Boko Haram
- 2014-09-15 - AFRICA/NIGERIA – At least 2,500 Catholics killed in violence by Boko Haram, Bishop of Maiduguri reports
- 2014-09-13 - "There is no fighting in Maiduguri, but the army patrols the churches"
- 2014-09-10 - Not even its Nigerian sponsors can control Boko Haram, now an international organisation