AFRICA/NIGERIA - "Amnesty can be granted to Boko Haram only if they repent and reimburse the victims"
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - "To continue on the path of simple repression alone does not solve the problem of Boko Haram. On the contrary it worsens things. So we have to at least consider the possibility of another way of doing things. The amnesty for Boko Haram must be considered as an option to stop the violence. In any war at some point you have to start talking among the contenders and I think that now is the moment. It is better to talk than shoot.
In one of my recent speeches (see Fides 06/04/2013), however, I also made it clear that we cannot talk of granting amnesty to those who do not recognize the evil they have done, by repenting. Secondly, they must be ready to pay for the evil done, and reimburse the victims. Without these two conditions, amnesty cannot be offered." With this statement to Fides His Eminence Cardinal John Olorunfemi Onaiyekan Archbishop of Abuja, wishes to reaffirm his thought in relation to the possibility of granting amnesty to members of the Boko Haram sect. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 17/04/2013)
- 2014-09-19 - There are 25 cities in the hands of Boko Haram: the complaint of the Bishop of Maiduguri
- 2014-09-16 - AFRICA/NIGERIA – Death sentence for military: insecurity symptom among troops combatting Boko Haram
- 2014-09-15 - AFRICA/NIGERIA – At least 2,500 Catholics killed in violence by Boko Haram, Bishop of Maiduguri reports
- 2014-09-13 - "There is no fighting in Maiduguri, but the army patrols the churches"
- 2014-09-10 - Not even its Nigerian sponsors can control Boko Haram, now an international organisation
- 2014-09-06 - “Christians, but also Muslims, flee from Boko Haram” say local Church sources
- 2014-09-04 - “What is happening in the north of Nigeria is similar to what happened in Iraq” says a priest in Abuja
- 2014-08-22 - More than 11,000 people fleeing due to the conquest of their city by Boko Haram
- 2014-08-20 - "Ill-gotten wealth from oil bunkering could be used to destabilize", said the Bishop of Umuahia
- 2014-08-19 - AFRICA/NIGERIA – "It is worrying to see Boko Haram trying to conquer territories", said the Archbishop of Lagos