AFRICA/NIGERIA - "Amnesty can be granted to Boko Haram only if they repent and reimburse the victims"
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - "To continue on the path of simple repression alone does not solve the problem of Boko Haram. On the contrary it worsens things. So we have to at least consider the possibility of another way of doing things. The amnesty for Boko Haram must be considered as an option to stop the violence. In any war at some point you have to start talking among the contenders and I think that now is the moment. It is better to talk than shoot.
In one of my recent speeches (see Fides 06/04/2013), however, I also made it clear that we cannot talk of granting amnesty to those who do not recognize the evil they have done, by repenting. Secondly, they must be ready to pay for the evil done, and reimburse the victims. Without these two conditions, amnesty cannot be offered." With this statement to Fides His Eminence Cardinal John Olorunfemi Onaiyekan Archbishop of Abuja, wishes to reaffirm his thought in relation to the possibility of granting amnesty to members of the Boko Haram sect. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 17/04/2013)
- 2015-05-08 - Kidnapped priest released
- 2015-05-07 - Catholic priest Kidnapped
- 2015-04-29 - The Nigerian army have expressed joy for the release of hostages held by the Boko Haram Islamist sect and sorrow for the discovery of mass graves
- 2015-04-14 - Mgr. Kaigama: "It is worrying that we do not know anything about the Chibok girls one year after their kidnapping"
- 2015-04-14 - The Bishops in Ibadan: "We are concerned about the violation regarding the sanctity of life"
- 2015-04-08 - "Do not give in to the temptation of revenge", says the Bishop of Maiduguri to the displaced persons who have returned to their destroyed homes
- 2015-04-01 - Muhammadu Buhari elected President; Bishops invite to respect the result
- 2015-03-30 - "Boko Haram failed to prevent the holding of elections", says the Bishop of Maiduguri
- 2015-03-28 - Caritas: "There is hope of allowing refugees to return to their homes, but destruction is enormous"
- 2015-03-27 - On the eve of the vote 90% of the areas freed from Boko Haram; "Why was it not done before?"