AFRICA/NIGERIA - "Amnesty can be granted to Boko Haram only if they repent and reimburse the victims"
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - "To continue on the path of simple repression alone does not solve the problem of Boko Haram. On the contrary it worsens things. So we have to at least consider the possibility of another way of doing things. The amnesty for Boko Haram must be considered as an option to stop the violence. In any war at some point you have to start talking among the contenders and I think that now is the moment. It is better to talk than shoot.
In one of my recent speeches (see Fides 06/04/2013), however, I also made it clear that we cannot talk of granting amnesty to those who do not recognize the evil they have done, by repenting. Secondly, they must be ready to pay for the evil done, and reimburse the victims. Without these two conditions, amnesty cannot be offered." With this statement to Fides His Eminence Cardinal John Olorunfemi Onaiyekan Archbishop of Abuja, wishes to reaffirm his thought in relation to the possibility of granting amnesty to members of the Boko Haram sect. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 17/04/2013)
- 2014-12-17 - The parishes of Maiduguri cares for more than 5,000 displaced people fleeing Boko Haram
- 2014-12-01 - Boko Haram: assault on the capital of Yobe, new victims over the weekend
- 2014-11-29 - Mgr. Kaigama: "Boko Haram attacks Muslims who do not think like them"
- 2014-11-27 - Boko Haram plans attacks with suicide women bombers disguised as nuns
- 2014-11-19 - File: the damage inflicted by Boko Haram to the diocese of Maiduguri
- 2014-11-19 - More than 100,000 Catholics scattered because of Boko Haram, "but we remain to bear witness with our presence", said a priest of Maiduguri
- 2014-11-18 - The President of the Episcopal Conference warns: "The 2015 elections will create a political situation that will be explosive"
- 2014-11-10 - Archbishop Kaigama: "Politicians must abandon the electoral struggle and unite to fight Boko Haram"
- 2014-11-06 - National Prayer Vigil for peace in the nation
- 2014-10-28 - There has not been any negotiation so far with the "real" Boko Haram