ASIA/IRAQ - Provincial elections: 3 seats out of 447 reserved for Christians
Baghdad (Agenzia Fides) - At the upcoming provincial elections, scheduled for April 20, the seats up for grabs in the different provinces are 447, and only nine of them are reserved to all the ethnic and religious minorities in the Country. The seats reserved for Christians in particular are 3, distributed in the local Councils of Baghdad, Nineveh and Basra.
According to data provided by the UN, Iraqis called to vote are more than 28 million in 14 provinces interested in the runoff election, of whom more than 250 million and 7 thousand concentrated in the Capital. Among the 447 seats available, 117 are occupied by women.
Of the 9 seats reserved for minorities, 2 will go to Kurdish leaders and one for each of the Turkmen, the Mandaeans, Yazidis and the Shabak. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 17/04/2013).
- 2014-10-17 - Torrential rains on refugees, the state of emergency worsens
- 2014-10-16 - A church in Qaraqosh bombed by the anti-Caliphate coalition
- 2014-10-15 - The Monastery of Mar Behnam profaned by the militiamen of the Islamic State
- 2014-10-14 - Two thousand prefabricated houses for Christian refugees who have sought refuge in Erbil
- 2014-10-13 - The Premier of Iraqi Kurdistan: Christians must not emigrate
- 2014-10-11 - Festival of young Christians in Ankawa. To keep hope alive
- 2014-10-06 - A "Family Card" to rationalize aid to refugees
- 2014-09-30 - Patriarch Louis Raphael I to "Muslim brothers": condemn violent extremism that exploits religion
- 2014-09-26 - The Universities in the north open its doors to student-refugees of the Nineveh Plain
- 2014-09-23 - The Chaldean Patriarch to priests and religious who emigrated without permission: come back to serve those most in need