ASIA/IRAQ - Provincial elections: 3 seats out of 447 reserved for Christians
Baghdad (Agenzia Fides) - At the upcoming provincial elections, scheduled for April 20, the seats up for grabs in the different provinces are 447, and only nine of them are reserved to all the ethnic and religious minorities in the Country. The seats reserved for Christians in particular are 3, distributed in the local Councils of Baghdad, Nineveh and Basra.
According to data provided by the UN, Iraqis called to vote are more than 28 million in 14 provinces interested in the runoff election, of whom more than 250 million and 7 thousand concentrated in the Capital. Among the 447 seats available, 117 are occupied by women.
Of the 9 seats reserved for minorities, 2 will go to Kurdish leaders and one for each of the Turkmen, the Mandaeans, Yazidis and the Shabak. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 17/04/2013).
- 2015-08-31 - Chaldean Patriarchate delivers a dossier on the abuses suffered by Christians in Baghdad to the authorities
- 2015-08-28 - Chaldean Patriarch to Iraqi political leaders: integrate the voluntary militias in the army
- 2015-08-24 - A committee against abuse and violence against Christians has been set up
- 2015-08-08 - "We are hated because we persist in wanting to exist as Christians", testimony of Mgr. Warda
- 2015-08-06 - A year ago ISIS expelled Christians from the Nineveh plain
- 2015-07-23 - Also in Kirkuk expropriation of Christian homes
- 2015-07-22 - The government orders the transfer of the military of the Nineveh Plain to Baghdad; Christian politicians protest
- 2015-07-14 - The Chaldean Church of St. Joseph in Mosul transformed into a mosque
- 2015-07-10 - In Baghdad, Christians kidnapped and killed despite the payment of ransom
- 2015-07-03 - The founding conference of the Chaldean League has concluded