ASIA/IRAQ - Provincial elections: 3 seats out of 447 reserved for Christians
Baghdad (Agenzia Fides) - At the upcoming provincial elections, scheduled for April 20, the seats up for grabs in the different provinces are 447, and only nine of them are reserved to all the ethnic and religious minorities in the Country. The seats reserved for Christians in particular are 3, distributed in the local Councils of Baghdad, Nineveh and Basra.
According to data provided by the UN, Iraqis called to vote are more than 28 million in 14 provinces interested in the runoff election, of whom more than 250 million and 7 thousand concentrated in the Capital. Among the 447 seats available, 117 are occupied by women.
Of the 9 seats reserved for minorities, 2 will go to Kurdish leaders and one for each of the Turkmen, the Mandaeans, Yazidis and the Shabak. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 17/04/2013).
- 2015-07-03 - The founding conference of the Chaldean League has concluded
- 2015-07-01 - An international conference in Erbil to found the "League of the Chaldeans"
- 2015-06-18 - Chaldean Patriarch sends a message to Muslims for the start of Ramadan
- 2015-06-13 - Thousands of Christian homes taken by deception
- 2015-06-10 - Chaldean Patriarch: a year after the fall of Mosul, only national reconciliation can save the country
- 2015-05-15 - The Chaldean Patriarch visits Tehran: "The Iranian government supports the people and the government of Iraq"
- 2015-05-04 - Chaldean Patriarch opens discussion on the draft Constitution for the Iraqi Kurdistan Region
- 2015-05-02 - Military offensive to free the province of Nineveh. Chaldean priest: "Christians want to return to their homes"
- 2015-04-13 - Northern Iraq's displaced get own radio station
- 2015-03-30 - The Chaldean Church participates in the mourning for the death of Assyrian Patriarch Mar Dinkha IV