ASIA/IRAQ - Provincial elections: 3 seats out of 447 reserved for Christians
Baghdad (Agenzia Fides) - At the upcoming provincial elections, scheduled for April 20, the seats up for grabs in the different provinces are 447, and only nine of them are reserved to all the ethnic and religious minorities in the Country. The seats reserved for Christians in particular are 3, distributed in the local Councils of Baghdad, Nineveh and Basra.
According to data provided by the UN, Iraqis called to vote are more than 28 million in 14 provinces interested in the runoff election, of whom more than 250 million and 7 thousand concentrated in the Capital. Among the 447 seats available, 117 are occupied by women.
Of the 9 seats reserved for minorities, 2 will go to Kurdish leaders and one for each of the Turkmen, the Mandaeans, Yazidis and the Shabak. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 17/04/2013).
- 2013-12-04 ASIA/IRAQ - Intellectual and political campaign against the exodus of Christians
- 2013-12-03 ASIA/IRAQ - Chaldean Patriarchate to Christians: sign up to the electoral lists and participate as candidates
- 2013-11-29 ASIA/IRAQ – EU delegate: the government of Baghdad does not protect minorities. Let us give EU subsidies to the NGOs
- 2013-11-26 ASIA/IRAQ - Concrete proposals to preserve the demographic balance in the Christian -majority areas
- 2013-11-14 ASIA/IRAQ - Conference on demographic change in areas inhabited by Christians
- 2013-11-11 ASIA/IRAQ - The Catholic Bishops: foreign representatives favor the flight of Christians
- 2013-10-21 ASIA/IRAQ - Chaldean Church, the former seminary becomes a condo for needy families
- 2013-10-14 ASIA/IRAQ - Patriarch Sako establishes the Diocesan Pastoral Council. Laity have the management of financial affairs
- 2013-10-08 ASIA/IRAQ - The Assyrian Patriarch to the Chaldean Patriarch: Let us create a joint Committee for Dialogue
- 2013-10-07 ASIA/IRAQ - The Chaldean Patriarchate prohibits the unauthorized sale of Church properties