AMERICA/ARGENTINA - The action of young people in storms was a "silent revolution," says a Bishop
La Plata (Agenzia Fides) - The auxiliary bishops of La Plata, Mgr. Nicolas Baisi and Mgr. Alberto Bochatey, claimed that many young volunteers acted "heroically" during the storm that hit the capital Buenos Aires the first few days in April (see Fides 04/04/2013).
In the note sent to Fides, Mgr. Baisi explained that "all those who were able to helped the homeless, but the outstanding job was carried out by hundreds of young volunteers who worked tirelessly day and night, house to house, together with all those that were devastated by the tragedy. "
"They organized to deliver food, clothing and what was necessary to survive. I venture to say that this was a silent revolution of the young," said the Bishop. "Once again, the young volunteers demonstrated with their heroic example that what drives the story is not war, but love," said Mgr. Baisi.
The Bishop also recalled that he personally visited various help centers in parishes, schools, and even in the Cathedral of La Plata, where "I could see and verify that the volunteers experienced the joy of giving, to comfort and encourage" .
Monsignor Alberto Bochatey OSA, says that the flood also affected the seminary of La Plata, where in the basement there was five feet of water. However, "we arranged for a rapid emergency intervention because right in front of the seminar there is one of the hardest hit areas of the city. That night more than a hundred people literally saved from the waters slept in the seminary ." (CE) (Agenzia Fides 16/04/2013)
- 2013-12-05 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - Violence and looting in Cordoba: for the Church these are criminal acts, not due to poverty
- 2013-12-04 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - Bishop of Oberá calls for a referendum on the construction of two hydroelectric dams
- 2013-11-04 AMERICA/ARGENTINA – The young, family pastoral, missionary commitment and social needs of the country: the plenary assembly of bishops
- 2013-09-18 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - Cases of child workers and indigenous people exploited in inhumane conditions have been denounced
- 2013-09-17 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - The Church inherits the grand Luna Park theater, National Monument of Buenos Aires
- 2013-09-16 AMERICA/ARGENTINA – Argentinian priest beatified "who smelt of his sheep, a poor person among the poor"
- 2013-08-21 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - Dengue and poverty affect the indigenous of the north of the Country
- 2013-08-19 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - "May the Holy Spirit give you strength and make you courageous" said the Pope to the 4th National Missionary Congress
- 2013-08-08 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - Legislative elections: "Orient oneself according to the candidates' coherence" say the bishops
- 2013-07-30 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - First anniversary for "El hogar Emaus" that welcomes the homeless