AMERICA/ARGENTINA - The action of young people in storms was a "silent revolution," says a Bishop
La Plata (Agenzia Fides) - The auxiliary bishops of La Plata, Mgr. Nicolas Baisi and Mgr. Alberto Bochatey, claimed that many young volunteers acted "heroically" during the storm that hit the capital Buenos Aires the first few days in April (see Fides 04/04/2013).
In the note sent to Fides, Mgr. Baisi explained that "all those who were able to helped the homeless, but the outstanding job was carried out by hundreds of young volunteers who worked tirelessly day and night, house to house, together with all those that were devastated by the tragedy. "
"They organized to deliver food, clothing and what was necessary to survive. I venture to say that this was a silent revolution of the young," said the Bishop. "Once again, the young volunteers demonstrated with their heroic example that what drives the story is not war, but love," said Mgr. Baisi.
The Bishop also recalled that he personally visited various help centers in parishes, schools, and even in the Cathedral of La Plata, where "I could see and verify that the volunteers experienced the joy of giving, to comfort and encourage" .
Monsignor Alberto Bochatey OSA, says that the flood also affected the seminary of La Plata, where in the basement there was five feet of water. However, "we arranged for a rapid emergency intervention because right in front of the seminar there is one of the hardest hit areas of the city. That night more than a hundred people literally saved from the waters slept in the seminary ." (CE) (Agenzia Fides 16/04/2013)
- 2015-06-24 - Bishop of Jujuy: "We need the State’s strong support against drugs"
- 2015-06-18 - The first Congress on intercultural and interreligious dialogue
- 2015-06-12 - "We are concerned about the new poor", said Mgr. Ojea, head of Caritas
- 2015-06-11 - "In this America's Cup, and always, say no to trafficking": campaign against human trafficking
- 2015-05-28 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – Child nutrition, drugs and poverty: meeting of Bishops and authorities of Buenos Aires
- 2015-05-26 - The Church's message for the National holiday: no to hatred, play politics with moral integrity
- 2015-05-20 - Half a million families with serious addictions to alcohol and drugs
- 2015-05-18 - First Report on the scourge of drugs prepared by UCA
- 2015-05-08 - Missionary dimension and social problems: meeting of the clergy of Patagonia
- 2015-05-02 - First parish dedicated to Juan Diego