ASIA/INDIA - Education for poor children in the indian slums of Allahabad
Allahabad (Agenzia Fides) - The International Day of street children who in the world are about 250 million was recently celebrated. We are talking about vulnerable young children, forced to beg and steal to survive without education. Children without family or unstable families, victims of abuse and exploitation by unscrupulous adults. Among the various initiatives, the Spanish Catholic NGO Manos Unidas has promoted a project for children in the slums of Allahabad, in the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh, that are over 3000 between 4 and 14 years of age and who instead of going to school are forced to work as scavengers, shoe shiners, artisans, taxi drivers. Some work in hotels or shops, while most of the girls are involved in domestic work. They drink, gamble, steal, take drugs. Some are orphans, others prefer to live on the street rather than with their families. About 60% are victims of trafficking and smuggling, and are often forced into prostitution. The initiative promotes school education in 20 institutes that bring together more than 800 students. Self-help groups have been formed with parents of the beneficiaries, and promoted awareness programs in education, alcoholism and child labor. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 16/04/2013)
- 2014-03-10 ASIA/INDIA - Christians in Goa ask: To postpone the elections scheduled on Holy Thursday
- 2014-03-10 ASIA/INDIA - Attack in a prayer hall in Orissa, two people arrested
- 2014-03-07 ASIA/INDIA - Where to be born female is considered "a disaster "
- 2014-03-05 ASIA/INDIA - Religious freedom at risk and violence against minorities, in view of the general elections
- 2014-03-03 ASIA/INDIA - Two men accused of having participated in the murder of the missionary Graham Staines have been acquitted
- 2014-02-25 ASIA/INDIA – The UN takes closer look at massacres in 2002 and the present situation of freedom of religion in Gujarat
- 2014-02-24 ASIA/INDIA - No to social exclusion, no to the caste system: Franciscans in India play a prophetic role
- 2014-02-20 ASIA/INDIA - 78 thousand children die of congenital heart disease every year
- 2014-02-20 ASIA/INDIA - Half of India's population lives in poverty: the responses of the Church
- 2014-02-17 ASIA/INDIA - Bishops' Pastoral Letter on the elections: "The leaders respond to the expectations of the people"