ASIA/INDIA - Education for poor children in the indian slums of Allahabad
Allahabad (Agenzia Fides) - The International Day of street children who in the world are about 250 million was recently celebrated. We are talking about vulnerable young children, forced to beg and steal to survive without education. Children without family or unstable families, victims of abuse and exploitation by unscrupulous adults. Among the various initiatives, the Spanish Catholic NGO Manos Unidas has promoted a project for children in the slums of Allahabad, in the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh, that are over 3000 between 4 and 14 years of age and who instead of going to school are forced to work as scavengers, shoe shiners, artisans, taxi drivers. Some work in hotels or shops, while most of the girls are involved in domestic work. They drink, gamble, steal, take drugs. Some are orphans, others prefer to live on the street rather than with their families. About 60% are victims of trafficking and smuggling, and are often forced into prostitution. The initiative promotes school education in 20 institutes that bring together more than 800 students. Self-help groups have been formed with parents of the beneficiaries, and promoted awareness programs in education, alcoholism and child labor. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 16/04/2013)
- 2015-11-25 - Day for Dalits dedicated to climate and environment
- 2015-11-20 - Cardinal Gracias: "This is how we will live the Jubilee of Mercy"
- 2015-11-17 - Aggression against Christians to "convert to Hinduism"
- 2015-11-12 - Appeal to Prime Minister Modi: "Protect religious minorities"
- 2015-11-10 - Depression, mental and emotional disorders for orphans, victims of armed conflict
- 2015-11-06 - Son of a Protestant pastor kidnapped
- 2015-11-04 - Hindu extremists against the growth of the Christian and Muslim population
- 2015-11-03 - The Report of the Commission of Inquiry on anti-Christian violence in Orissa is being prepared
- 2015-10-29 - Cardinal Alencherry: "India has to deal with serious issues, not the consumption of beef"
- 2015-10-24 - Dalit infants burnt alive: Bishops deplore inhuman act