AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - "The amount of drug that passes throughout our Country is alarming," denounces Cardinal Lopez Rodriguez
Santo Domingo (Agenzia Fides) - Cardinal Nicolas de Jesus Lopez Rodriguez, Archbishop of Santo Domingo, called the huge amount of drugs seized recently in the country a "very serious" fact, because in his opinion it means that "there are many people that are involved in drug trafficking and that the big cartels are trying to use our Country as a place of transit of drugs sold to other States."
"I am really alarmed by this reality," says the Cardinal in a note sent to Fides. "In our Country there is not enough consumption to justify the amount of drug that arrives from Central America or South America, so it looks like it is meant to be sent to other Countries."
Cardinal Rodriguez has, however, praised the local security organizations. "In all honesty, we must say, that our law enforcement agencies have made a great effort in dealing with this situation, especially in these last days" .
Only in the last week more than 500 kilograms of cocaine on the outskirts of the capital were seized. According to data published by the local press, in 2012, about 10 tons of drugs were seized that stopped off on the island along the route between South America and North America. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 16/04/2013)
- 2015-03-16 - Appeal of the Church in the Dominican Republic and Haiti: "Respect the human dignity of migrants"
- 2015-01-28 - Tension on the border with Haiti: appeal to the authorities of both countries
- 2014-10-07 - Requests on behalf of the National Assembly of Pastoral Care: Austerity and solidarity with workers,
- 2014-10-03 - "A people on a mission, sensitive towards solidarity": the National Assembly of Pastoral care is underway
- 2014-09-23 - Public opinion divided on the request for the withdrawal of UNHCR from the country
- 2014-07-22 - Although some people promote hate, the Church is committed to peaceful coexistence
- 2014-07-07 - Fearless against violence and insecurity, the conclusions of the Bishops’ Assembly
- 2014-07-01 - Still difficulty for many undocumented Haitians
- 2014-06-10 - A motorway to unite the country ... even the Church is moving
- 2014-05-27 - Emergency for public hospitals in the Country