AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - "The amount of drug that passes throughout our Country is alarming," denounces Cardinal Lopez Rodriguez
Santo Domingo (Agenzia Fides) - Cardinal Nicolas de Jesus Lopez Rodriguez, Archbishop of Santo Domingo, called the huge amount of drugs seized recently in the country a "very serious" fact, because in his opinion it means that "there are many people that are involved in drug trafficking and that the big cartels are trying to use our Country as a place of transit of drugs sold to other States."
"I am really alarmed by this reality," says the Cardinal in a note sent to Fides. "In our Country there is not enough consumption to justify the amount of drug that arrives from Central America or South America, so it looks like it is meant to be sent to other Countries."
Cardinal Rodriguez has, however, praised the local security organizations. "In all honesty, we must say, that our law enforcement agencies have made a great effort in dealing with this situation, especially in these last days" .
Only in the last week more than 500 kilograms of cocaine on the outskirts of the capital were seized. According to data published by the local press, in 2012, about 10 tons of drugs were seized that stopped off on the island along the route between South America and North America. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 16/04/2013)
- 2014-03-12 - Christian Churches committed to education, health and rights of 30 000 children
- 2014-02-07 - Dialogue and collaboration, the only way to solve the common problems of Dominicans and Haitians
- 2013-12-02 - "The Church is ready to mediate", the Nunzio's intervention on the issue of Haitian immigrants
- 2013-11-07 - The Church in defense of creation and against the destruction of natural heritage
- 2013-11-04 - Nearly two children die every day in the hospital in Santiago
- 2013-10-29 - Every day from 8 to 20 children are admitted to hospital for dengue
- 2013-10-25 - Revocation of citizenship to children of undocumented Haitians: "We hope to find a way out" hopes the Bishop of Barahona
- 2013-10-07 - AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC – The trafficking of Haitian children towards the Dominican State increases
- 2013-10-07 - The Church involved in the literacy campaign in the country
- 2013-09-12 - Diocese of San Juan de la Maguana: 60 Years lived with a missionary spirit