AFRICA/EGYPT - Government representatives contested by the Copts during a meeting of "reconciliation"
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - A traditional meeting of "reconciliation" convened by the regime in past days caused the death of at least 8 people – registered a lively protest to government representatives by the faithful Copts who intervened at the meeting. The meeting was organized last Saturday, in addition to the governor of the province of Qaliubia and Salafi leader Abdel-Ghafour, assistant to the President for social policy - there were officials of the security apparatus, representatives of the University of Al-Azhar and two priests of the church of San Giorgio. According to local sources consulted by the Assyrian International News Agency (Aina) the protest of the Copts intended to emphasize the limited usefulness of such demonstrations of "reconciliation," which will remain sterile parades for the use of propaganda until authorities avoid to prosecute those responsible for sectarian violence. The Coptic Orthodox Metropolitan Pachomios of Beheira, commenting on the new escalation of violence suffered by Egyptian Christians, reiterated that "our Christian faith is based on peace and reconciliation" and that the meetings of reconciliation should not be separated from the task - reserved to civil authorities - to identify and punish the attackers. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 15/4/2013).
- 2015-11-20 - The Coptic Orthodox Church inaugurates a TV channel for children
- 2015-11-19 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros: participate in the elections and give your support to honest and competent candidates
- 2015-11-13 - The Imam of al-Azhar condemns the attack on a Coptic evangelical church
- 2015-11-12 - The Coptic Church: no to unauthorized collection of money for the flooded monasteries
- 2015-11-07 - Historical Coptic monasteries damaged by floods
- 2015-11-06 - The Middle East Council of Churches: unify the date for the Easter celebrations
- 2015-10-22 - AFRICA/EGYPT –Election: good results for Coptic candidates, Salafi party crash
- 2015-10-19 - Elections: the high turnout of Christians
- 2015-10-09 - Coptic Organizations call on President al-Sisi to reopen the investigation into the massacre of Maspero
- 2015-10-06 - Sectarian clashes in Samalut, the "city of martyrs": ten Copts wounded