AFRICA/EGYPT - Government representatives contested by the Copts during a meeting of "reconciliation"
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - A traditional meeting of "reconciliation" convened by the regime in past days caused the death of at least 8 people – registered a lively protest to government representatives by the faithful Copts who intervened at the meeting. The meeting was organized last Saturday, in addition to the governor of the province of Qaliubia and Salafi leader Abdel-Ghafour, assistant to the President for social policy - there were officials of the security apparatus, representatives of the University of Al-Azhar and two priests of the church of San Giorgio. According to local sources consulted by the Assyrian International News Agency (Aina) the protest of the Copts intended to emphasize the limited usefulness of such demonstrations of "reconciliation," which will remain sterile parades for the use of propaganda until authorities avoid to prosecute those responsible for sectarian violence. The Coptic Orthodox Metropolitan Pachomios of Beheira, commenting on the new escalation of violence suffered by Egyptian Christians, reiterated that "our Christian faith is based on peace and reconciliation" and that the meetings of reconciliation should not be separated from the task - reserved to civil authorities - to identify and punish the attackers. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 15/4/2013).
- 2014-11-12 - The government expels Islamist militants from educational institutions
- 2014-11-10 - The Patriarch of the Coptic Orthodox: may the Churches unify the dates for the Easter celebration
- 2014-11-05 - For the Coptic Orthodox Patriarch extremist groups are a product of the West
- 2014-10-28 - St. Catherine's Monastery denies the news of an Islamist attack
- 2014-10-27 - Churches send the government their draft of a bill on the construction of places of worship
- 2014-10-21 - Pilgrimages in the footsteps of the Holy Family
- 2014-10-17 - Egyptian Family House grows, liaison body between Muslims and Christians
- 2014-10-09 - The children of a school take position against separated classes, based on religion
- 2014-10-03 - Intimidation against Copts who do not pay their "taxes" to a Muslim clan
- 2014-09-29 - The Coptic woman who had disappeared returns home: she did not convert but had been kidnapped