AFRICA/EGYPT - Government representatives contested by the Copts during a meeting of "reconciliation"
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - A traditional meeting of "reconciliation" convened by the regime in past days caused the death of at least 8 people – registered a lively protest to government representatives by the faithful Copts who intervened at the meeting. The meeting was organized last Saturday, in addition to the governor of the province of Qaliubia and Salafi leader Abdel-Ghafour, assistant to the President for social policy - there were officials of the security apparatus, representatives of the University of Al-Azhar and two priests of the church of San Giorgio. According to local sources consulted by the Assyrian International News Agency (Aina) the protest of the Copts intended to emphasize the limited usefulness of such demonstrations of "reconciliation," which will remain sterile parades for the use of propaganda until authorities avoid to prosecute those responsible for sectarian violence. The Coptic Orthodox Metropolitan Pachomios of Beheira, commenting on the new escalation of violence suffered by Egyptian Christians, reiterated that "our Christian faith is based on peace and reconciliation" and that the meetings of reconciliation should not be separated from the task - reserved to civil authorities - to identify and punish the attackers. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 15/4/2013).
- 2015-05-22 - Patriarch Tawadros speaks at the conference on the "Coptic Diaspora"
- 2015-05-21 - The police free four kidnapped Copts
- 2015-05-20 - Four Copts kidnapped on the way to the Marian shrine of Jabal al-Tair
- 2015-05-19 - The Arab League welcomes the agreement between the Holy See and the State of Palestine
- 2015-05-18 - Morsi condemned to death. Coptic Catholic Bishop: "the Church never justifies death penalty for anyone"
- 2015-05-13 - President al-Sisi: so far little has been done to renew "religious speech"
- 2015-05-12 - Positive comments and controversy over the case of the Ethiopian Christians freed in Libya thanks to the Egyptian intervention
- 2015-05-05 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros II: the possibility to celebrate Easter together on the third Sunday in April is being studied
- 2015-04-29 - Reaffirmed the right of Christian workers to start work later on Sundays
- 2015-04-28 - Sinai jihadist groups threaten Copts for their support to President al-Sisi