AFRICA/EGYPT - Government representatives contested by the Copts during a meeting of "reconciliation"
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - A traditional meeting of "reconciliation" convened by the regime in past days caused the death of at least 8 people – registered a lively protest to government representatives by the faithful Copts who intervened at the meeting. The meeting was organized last Saturday, in addition to the governor of the province of Qaliubia and Salafi leader Abdel-Ghafour, assistant to the President for social policy - there were officials of the security apparatus, representatives of the University of Al-Azhar and two priests of the church of San Giorgio. According to local sources consulted by the Assyrian International News Agency (Aina) the protest of the Copts intended to emphasize the limited usefulness of such demonstrations of "reconciliation," which will remain sterile parades for the use of propaganda until authorities avoid to prosecute those responsible for sectarian violence. The Coptic Orthodox Metropolitan Pachomios of Beheira, commenting on the new escalation of violence suffered by Egyptian Christians, reiterated that "our Christian faith is based on peace and reconciliation" and that the meetings of reconciliation should not be separated from the task - reserved to civil authorities - to identify and punish the attackers. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 15/4/2013).
- 2014-09-29 - The Coptic woman who had disappeared returns home: she did not convert but had been kidnapped
- 2014-09-27 - New rules for the construction of churches: Christians prepare their proposal
- 2014-09-25 - Kidnappings continue to the detriment of the Copts, a dentist kidnapped killed
- 2014-09-19 - The army rebuilds a Catholic school devastated by Islamists in Beni Suef
- 2014-07-24 - AFRICA/EGYPT – There is no Christian in St. Anthony Abate’s hometown
- 2014-07-17 - A bill to ensure and regulate the construction of churches is being studied
- 2014-07-16 - Patriarch Tawadros II: the Bishops do not express support for candidates or political parties in elections
- 2014-07-08 - Sisi
- 2014-06-20 - Activist for Human Rights calls for the dissolution of the Salafist Party
- 2014-06-09 - New President al-Sisi enhances the role of the Coptic Church in the past and present of the nation