AMERICA/CHILE - "Family, public education and well-paid job," the concern of the Church
Santiago (Agenzia Fides) - "We are concerned about the present and the future of our country," say the Bishops of Chile in a statement published at the end of their 105th Plenary Assembly held last week.
"We invite all believers to pray for peace and justice, understanding and cooperation among peoples and for the issues that are currently the concern of everyone, especially us pastors: the minimum wage, trade union disputes, public education, the family and respect for life."
The document expresses the joy of the Catholic community for the newly-elected Pope Francis and the commitment to pray for his mission. Given the strong participation of priests from different parts of the Country, the bishops also expressed the desire to "walk together with the priests in the work of evangelization in this time of mission." (CE) (Agenzia Fides 15/04/2013)
- 2015-07-01 - Procession at sea on Easter Island for St. Peter, praying for the Pope's visit
- 2015-05-19 - The main problems of childhood in Chile: Sexual exploitation, trafficking, drugs, alcohol
- 2015-05-18 - First agreement between former political prisoners and government, Mgr. Goic President of the Commission
- 2015-05-16 - Two students die during the protests; the Church appeals for non-violence
- 2015-05-06 - Bishops' statement: "The right to truth, forgiveness is not impunity"
- 2015-04-15 - Protection of life and communication in the Church's mission, priority in the Chilean Church
- 2015-04-14 - Floods force more than 40 000 children not to go to school
- 2015-03-30 - Floods and landslides: 12 dead and thousands displaced, Caritas at work
- 2015-02-23 - Rudimental bomb explodes near a parish in the capital
- 2015-01-29 - "We have lost a great opportunity": criticism regarding the Law on Education