AMERICA/BOLIVIA - Domestic violence for almost 83% of children in the country
La Paz (Agenzia Fides) - Almost 83% of Bolivian children suffer domestic violence, more than one million work on the streets in conditions of serious risk and, according to the state agency Defensoría del Pueblo, at least 3,000 are homeless and about 20,000 live in reception centers. To cope with this emergency the government is elaborating a new Code for Children, which started in 2008, and plans to set standards for the respect of children's rights. The report of the Defensoría highlights that, thanks to efficient public policies and the commitment of the Executive, there have been many strides in reducing extreme poverty, which is one of the main causes of the violation of children's rights. However, an average of 16 minors are subject to violence in the country every day and, three out of four cases suffer sexual violence in the home or at school. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 15/4/2013)
- 2014-04-09 - After the clashes, President Morales changes the minister and meets the miners
- 2014-03-29 - The Church reflects on the situation: "The people no longer have hope in this government"
- 2014-03-27 - Bishops’ priorities: Indigenous and social pastoral, relaunch of the Permanent Mission
- 2014-03-17 - Heavy rains have caused deaths and injuries in the Beni area, the lack of food is worrying
- 2014-02-28 - AMERICA/BOLIVIA – Flood stricken native peoples in Beni destitute and starving
- 2014-02-25 - AMERICA/BOLIVIA – Classrooms under water, 10 toilets and no water for more than 1000 pupils
- 2014-01-28 - National Emergency: 6000 homeless families due to rains and floods
- 2014-01-22 - The Andean Countries together for the XIII Regional Meeting of the Youth Ministry
- 2013-12-12 - Cardinal Terrazas urges to "combat violence, not with words, but with actions"
- 2013-12-03 - "We cannot live in fear, we must take the path of peace", says the Archbishop of Santa Cruz