AMERICA/BOLIVIA - Domestic violence for almost 83% of children in the country
La Paz (Agenzia Fides) - Almost 83% of Bolivian children suffer domestic violence, more than one million work on the streets in conditions of serious risk and, according to the state agency Defensoría del Pueblo, at least 3,000 are homeless and about 20,000 live in reception centers. To cope with this emergency the government is elaborating a new Code for Children, which started in 2008, and plans to set standards for the respect of children's rights. The report of the Defensoría highlights that, thanks to efficient public policies and the commitment of the Executive, there have been many strides in reducing extreme poverty, which is one of the main causes of the violation of children's rights. However, an average of 16 minors are subject to violence in the country every day and, three out of four cases suffer sexual violence in the home or at school. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 15/4/2013)
- 2015-11-20 - The Church strongly rejects the use of the image of the Pope for political activities
- 2015-11-13 - The Episcopal Conference: "We need and want a change"
- 2015-11-07 - The Pontifical Mission Societies in Bolivia towards the American Missionary Congress
- 2015-11-06 - 100th Assembly of the Episcopal Conference: V American Missionary Congress (CAM 5) is among the topics to be discussed
- 2015-10-15 - The Maryknoll Mission Center has been offering missionaries a valuable service for half a century
- 2015-10-12 - The Pope's message at the forum on climate: "Follow a fair and integral ecology"
- 2015-10-09 - Nuncio Diquattro representative of the Holy See at the World Conference on Climate Change
- 2015-09-17 - Intervention of Mgr. Scarpellini on the candidacy of Morales: "Alternation is an expression of democracy"
- 2015-08-19 - Heavy rains leave more than a thousand of families homeless
- 2015-08-17 - Prison conditions improve thanks to mediation by Pope Francis