AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA- Still chaos but the new authorities carry out some steps to stabilize the situation
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - The Central African Republic is still living in instability and insecurity after the flight of President Bozizé following the entry of the rebels of the coalition Seleka in the capital Bangui, on March 24. From that date until today, according to data by the Central African Red Cross, in Bangui alone 119 people have been killed, 272 injured and 146 have suffered psychological trauma as a result of gunfire between armed groups vying pieces of territories or simple bandits who pillage the population. On 11 April protest marches against the violence of the insurgents and the continued looting, after the murder of a driver of a motorcycle taxi on behalf of the men of Seleka were organized by youth associations of the capital. In Bangui and in several other urban and rural centers, public buildings and facilities of humanitarian organizations and the Church were looted.
The new authorities, however, have taken steps to try to stabilize the situation. In the capital the Chadian soldiers force FOMAC (the mission of Central African States) along with the men of Seleka conducted a first fetch weapons from the hands of civilians and armed groups.
On the political front, the new "strong man" of the Country, Michel Djotodia, announced the creation of the National Transitional Council that will act as the Provisional National Assembly. The new body is made up of 105 members, of which 50 as representatives of civil society (42), religious groups (6) and the diaspora (2). (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 13/04/2013)
- 2015-11-23 - The video message from Pope Francis brought to the Muslims by the Archbishop of Bangui
- 2015-10-28 - Archbishop of Bangui tells Fides that he was not kidnapped during a visit to the Central Mosque
- 2015-10-14 - The PMS invite to "put an end to hostility and bickering" and ask for sanctions and compensation
- 2015-10-01 - AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – More clashes, but people want the stability of institutions
- 2015-09-29 - Thousands of people find refuge in parishes
- 2015-09-29 - Bangui in chaos: the reconstruction of the accidents, towards an uncertain future
- 2015-09-08 - Archbishop of Bangui: "Authority and the international community have to take on their responsibility to stop the violence"
- 2015-08-19 - The 2015 Sergio Vieira de Mello Prize will be awarded to the Interfaith Peace Platform
- 2015-07-24 - AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – Training to counter unemployment: 29 teachers receive diploma
- 2015-05-18 - "We have to be humble to have the courage to forgive one another", said the Archbishop of Bangui