ASIA/PAKISTAN - The Commission for National Harmony: death penalty for the false accusations of blasphemy
Islamabad (Agenzia Fides) - False accusations of blasphemy should be punished with death penalty: is the conclusion reached by the Senate Standing Committee on National Harmony. As reported to Fides Agency, in a meeting held in recent days, after the attacks on behalf of Muslim groups against the Christian families of "Joseph Colony" of Lahore and the "Francis Colony" in Gujranwala, members of the Commission agreed that the attacks have damaged the image of Pakistan at an international level and it is urgent to take immediate measures to prevent the recurrence of similar cases of violence against Christians.
Kamran Michael, Christian senator and member of the Commission, pointed out that often the root of violence are allegations of blasphemy. And often these accusations, after Christians have spent years in prison, are denied and reversed (see the case of Younis Masih, Fides 03/04/2013) and this in itself causes great suffering and injustice. When one is released, victims of false accusations are "marked" as "blasphemous" and therefore their life is at risk of summary executions. "Currently, about one hundred Christians and several hundred Muslims are in prison because of their involvement in cases of blasphemy, but not a single one has been convicted. There should be equal punishment for the person who makes false accusations of blasphemy," said Michael. To impose life imprisonment or death penalty as a sanction to "false accusers" - concluded the Commission - would be a deterrent towards the abuse and manipulation of the law of blasphemy, which in many cases (such as Rimsha Masih) was clearly demonstrated. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 13/04/2013)
- 2014-09-30 - Pastor Zafar Bhatti is alive, another inmate wounded
- 2014-09-29 - Christian girl raped, the perpetrators film the violence
- 2014-09-27 - The Pastor killed in prison is "a new martyr"
- 2014-09-26 - Christian accused of blasphemy murdered in prison: condemnation of the Bishops
- 2014-09-22 - IS is looking for recruits in Pakistan, Christians are appealing to the government
- 2014-09-19 - Muslim leader accused of blasphemy killed: civil society meeting to ask for harmony
- 2014-09-18 - Execution of a person sentenced to death has been suspended
- 2014-09-17 - The Commission "Justice and Peace": stop the executioner, Pakistan must not go back in time
- 2014-09-11 - Christian family flees to save their daughters from forced conversion to Islam
- 2014-09-10 - Severe floods, Caritas sends volunteers