VATICAN CITY - Cardinal Filoni at the Feast of the Pontifical Urban University: to proclaim Christ in the suburbs of humanity
Vatican City (Agenzia Fides) - The Pontifical Urban University "has not failed to reflect" on the impressing ecclesial events in recent months, living with intense emotion and spiritual discernment both the renunciation of the Petrine ministry of Pope Benedict XVI and the Conclave, "with the election of the new Bishop of Rome and Successor of Peter in the person of Pope Francis." With these words, spoken this morning in the homily of the Mass celebrated in the chapel of the Pontifical Urban College on the occasion of the 366th patronal feast of the pontifical University, Cardinal Fernando Filoni framed the work and mission of the university community situated on the Janiculum in the current season experienced by the entire ecclesial body.
Commenting on the writings of the Solemnity of the Annunciation of the Lord, the Cardinal - who as Prefect of the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples is also Chancellor of the Urban University - indicated the source of apostolic concern (hallmark of the Educational Institution that always intends to prepare priests, men and women religious and laity of and for so-called mission territories) in the mystery of Incarnation: "Christ comes out of his divinity," said Cardinal Filoni "and, as Pope Francis would say, out from 'within' the Father and goes towards the suburbs, humanity, where ignorance, sin, ritualism have made faith sterile or completely ignored." In this paradigm - concluded the Cardinal - "our University can find inspiration and purpose of its existence. Let us pray that Mary grants us to continue its mission, which is to handle faith and to prepare new missionaries that proclaim in full fidelity to the Gospel and to the Church. "
During his homily, Cardinal Filoni also reported to have called Pope Francis to visit the Pontifical Urban University and the entire campus in which there is also the Urban College, St. Joseph College and CIAM. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 10/04/2013).
- 2014-12-03 - VATICAN – Religious leaders resolve “to work for the freedom of all those who are enslaved and trafficked”
- 2014-11-26 - The First International Day of Prayer and Awareness against Human Trafficking
- 2014-11-24 - Pope Francis: may the Lord grant a new missionary drive to the Church in India
- 2014-10-30 - Pope's appeal: take all necessary measures to eradicate the Ebola virus
- 2014-10-25 - WORLD MISSION DAY - CATHOLIC CHURCH STATISTICS 2014
- 2014-10-20 - Pope Paul VI, "a staunch supporter of the mission ad gentes"
- 2014-10-18 - VATICAN – Blessed Pope Paul VI: "The love for Missions is love for the Church, love for Christ!"
- 2014-10-13 - The memory of the missionaries, their examples, attract and inspire us to imitate their faith
- 2014-10-07 - First ever global campaign by the 160 Caritas national organisations: ending world hunger is their priority
- 2014-10-01 - The feast of St. Therese of Lisieux, Patroness of the Missions, opens the Mission Month