ASIA/JAPAN - "Peaceful relations between North Korea and neighboring countries": the hope of the Church
Tokyo (Agenzia Fides) - Peace is the key word to be pursued by all means, and actions at local and regional level, but also internationally. The support expressed by Pope Francis in talks with UN Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon, is therefore important in this period of high political and military tension in the Far East. The Japanese Church "has always promoted peace and non-violence: as Japanese and as Christians, we hope peaceful relations are maintained between North Korea and neighboring countries, including our own," explains to Fides Agency Fr. Daisuke Naru, SVD, Director of Caritas Japan.
If the international media are impressed by the deployment of Patriot missile batteries in central Tokyo, Fr. Naru explains that "the atmosphere in society remains fairly calm. The majority of Japanese people do not think there is a serious threat. In fact, as always, cyclically, when there is tension or a regime change in North Korea, similar threats also to our country arrive. The government, however, shows more attention, and rightly so, in protecting us from any circumstance."
Fr. Naru adds an important detail: "There are many North Koreans living in Japan. During the Second World War they were taken, sometimes forcibly, for work. Today I live in Japan and I am part of the nation. One more reason to avoid any conflict. We pray and hope in always peaceful relations." (PA) (Agenzia Fides 10/04/2013)
- 2013-12-20 ASIA/JAPAN - "Monks Without Borders" has been formed, to unite religious sects in tackling global issues
- 2013-10-10 ASIA/JAPAN - "Pacem in Terris" in Japanese infects society
- 2013-07-31 ASIA/JAPAN - More than 66,000 cases of child abuse in 2012
- 2013-04-10 ASIA/JAPAN - "Peaceful relations between North Korea and neighboring countries": the hope of the Church
- 2013-02-23 ASIA/JAPAN - Bishops tell Prime Minister Shinzo Abe: “No arms, no nuclear power, the Constitution cannot be changed”
- 2011-11-10 ASIA/JAPAN - The Bishops: "Stop to nuclear power, yes to alternative energy sources, a moral obligation for the future"
- 2011-09-09 ASIA/JAPAN - Caritas, six months after the earthquake: "Winter is round the corner for 100 thousand displaced persons, more efficient aid is required"
- 2011-08-30 ASIA/JAPAN - The Church asks the new Prime Minister Noda "more collaboration between state and religions"
- 2011-06-13 ASIA/JAPAN-Resignation of the Bishop of Hiroshima and appointment of successor
- 2011-05-17 ASIA/JAPAN- The visit of Cardinal Sarah to the earthquake area has ended, " great encouragement to the Church and for the country"