AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Immigrants, Youth and reconstruction of Haiti, the aid priorities of the U.S. bishops
Washington (Agenzia Fides) - The Subcommittee for the Church in Latin America of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) has allocated $ 3.1 million to fund about 100 pastoral projects in 19 countries in Latin America and the Caribbean.
The note sent to Fides by USCCB stresses that among the projects funded are those related to the pastoral care of immigrants, to support activities of the pilgrims taking part in World Youth Day in Rio de Janeiro 2013 and those for the reconstruction of Haiti.
The Auxiliary Bishop of Seattle and chairman of the Episcopal subcommittee Mgr. Eusebio L. Elizondo said that "we are committed to supporting and providing pastoral care to immigrants, not only in our Country but all over the American continent."
One of the Countries in the region which has obtained funding for these activities is Peru, where the Bishops have "received a grant of $ 15,000 to strengthen the Commission for the Pastoral Care of Human Mobility, the official organization of the Peruvian Episcopal Conference that takes care of the pastoral care of immigrants ". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 10/04/2013)
- 2013-10-16 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Every day 1,400 children under 5 years of age die due to a lack of drinking water
- 2013-10-14 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - "Education cannot wait": due to conflicts about 29 million children lack education
- 2013-10-02 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - "Millions of Americans struggle to live": Bishops urgent request to the government
- 2013-09-10 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Syria: Bishops’ practical suggestions to young people for non-violent protests
- 2013-09-06 AMERICA/UNITED STATES – The Bishops of Washington State push for the approval of the Immigration Act
- 2013-09-05 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - The Bishops: "We adhere to the Holy Father’s appeal for a peaceful solution to the conflict in Syria"
- 2013-07-30 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Simply because we are a Catholic Church we are interested in the debate on immigration
- 2013-06-03 AMERICA/COLORADO - Children hospitalized with respiratory crisis for having ingested marijuana
- 2013-05-10 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - "The suffering of immigrants has to stop!" says Cardinal Dolan
- 2013-04-10 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Immigrants, Youth and reconstruction of Haiti, the aid priorities of the U.S. bishops