AMERICA/ECUADOR - "A provocation to divide the community," the Archbishop denounces the protests of Evangelicals
Guayaquil (Agenzia Fides) – The Archbishop of Guayaquil, His Exc. Mgr. Antonio Arregui, described the protests held last Friday by a group of evangelicals as "provocative actions", they expressed their opposition to the worship of religious images.
According to the note sent to Fides, the incident, which lasted nearly all day on Friday, April 5, outside the church of San Francisco, in the heart of Guayaquil, began as a sit-in but degenerated into a clash between Catholics and Evangelicals.
"These are calculated and deliberate actions, they want public attention on this position, and even want to institutionalize the insult as a way of life, therefore this is not acceptable," the Archbishop said to the local press.
Mgr. Arregui wants to know what the real motivation is of these evangelical groups for these protests, and does not exclude that they are paid by someone.
In Ecuador it is not the first time that there are tense situation for this reason (see Fides 16/11/2012), but the Catholic community has always responded in respect of others. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 09/04/2013)
- 2014-06-10 - Projects in favor of Children: day care, healthy eating, education
- 2014-05-07 - New assignments in the Episcopal Conference, always striving for the weakest
- 2014-03-14 - "Laity and religious freedom": the voice of the Church
- 2013-12-12 - "Adopt a project": people can redeem thanks to education
- 2013-11-15 - National Congress: Religious freedom and the public dimension of faith for the closing of the Year of Faith
- 2013-10-30 - Resignation of the Apostolic Vicar of Galapagos and appointment of successor
- 2013-10-14 - AMERICA/ECUADOR – Legalization of abortion, the President threatens to resign: the Church praises him
- 2013-09-16 - Commitment of the parish of Imantag for vulnerable people
- 2013-08-22 - Over 4 million working children engaged in high-risk activities
- 2013-08-09 - International Day of Indigenous Peoples: the demands of the indigenous of Ecuador