AMERICA/ECUADOR - "A provocation to divide the community," the Archbishop denounces the protests of Evangelicals
Guayaquil (Agenzia Fides) – The Archbishop of Guayaquil, His Exc. Mgr. Antonio Arregui, described the protests held last Friday by a group of evangelicals as "provocative actions", they expressed their opposition to the worship of religious images.
According to the note sent to Fides, the incident, which lasted nearly all day on Friday, April 5, outside the church of San Francisco, in the heart of Guayaquil, began as a sit-in but degenerated into a clash between Catholics and Evangelicals.
"These are calculated and deliberate actions, they want public attention on this position, and even want to institutionalize the insult as a way of life, therefore this is not acceptable," the Archbishop said to the local press.
Mgr. Arregui wants to know what the real motivation is of these evangelical groups for these protests, and does not exclude that they are paid by someone.
In Ecuador it is not the first time that there are tense situation for this reason (see Fides 16/11/2012), but the Catholic community has always responded in respect of others. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 09/04/2013)
- 2015-06-26 - Still demonstrations against President Correa
- 2015-06-17 - Bishops: dialogue is the only path to find solutions, violence is always destructive
- 2015-04-17 - Floods favor the spread of the chikungunya virus
- 2015-01-29 - The country remembers "the Bishop of the Indios"
- 2014-10-21 - Indigenous people continue to be discriminated against, undernourished and not protected
- 2014-10-01 - Family Week in Guayaquil, wealth and renewal of society
- 2014-08-11 - 46,000 Ecuadoreans will benefit from a mega construction water
- 2014-06-10 - Projects in favor of Children: day care, healthy eating, education
- 2014-05-07 - New assignments in the Episcopal Conference, always striving for the weakest
- 2014-03-14 - "Laity and religious freedom": the voice of the Church