ASIA/CHINA - The death of Mgr.Thomas Qian Yurong. A man of simple faith
Xuzhou (Agenzia Fides) - On 22 March Thomas Qian Yurong died. He was 99 years old. He was born in 1914 in the County of Tongshan from a family of ancient Catholic tradition. During the Sino-Japanese War he had saved a badly wounded soldier, carrying him to a church to heal his wounds and to take care of him until he got better. In 1945 he became a priest and on 15 November 1959 he received episcopal ordination. During the Cultural Revolution he was sentenced to reeducation through labor and for 20 years he worked at a chemical plant.
Mgr. Qian is remembered as a man of simple faith, active in the work of the formation of priests and religious women, and in an effort to retrieve the properties of the Church. He had retired from the pastoral ministry in 2011 because of his poor health. He died of a lung infection. The funeral took place on March 28, on Holy Thursday, at the Cathedral of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, the celebration was presided over by His Exc. Mgr. John Wang Renlei, Bishop of Xuzhou.
The Diocese of Xuzhou, located in the northern part of Jiangsu Province, now has about 25,000 faithful, 7 churches, a dozen priests and about 20 religious women. (Agenzia Fides 09/04/2013).
- 2014-03-07 ASIA/CHINA - The women of Zi Gong: active in the Church and in society, following the example of Mary
- 2014-03-04 ASIA/CHINA – The formation of the laity in view of Lent intensifies
- 2014-02-27 ASIA/CHINA – Eucharistic adoration and sobriety: message from Han Dan diocese for the new year
- 2014-02-19 ASIA/CHINA - Formation: priority commitment of the Catholic community for the new year
- 2014-02-12 ASIA/CHINA - 2014 "Year of the Gospel" in the parish of Xi Liu Lin
- 2014-01-30 ASIA/CHINA - Chinese New Year: opportunity for vocational pastoral ministry and evangelization
- 2014-01-28 ASIA/CHINA - 25 years of priesthood for some of the first priests ordained after the Cultural Revolution
- 2014-01-23 ASIA/CHINA - The Catholic community intensifies the works of charity and evangelization in view of the Chinese New Year
- 2014-01-17 ASIA/CHINA - "Heart to Heart": a heart that continues to beat to support the vocational path
- 2014-01-14 ASIA/CHINA - New priests at the beginning of the year, a sign of hope for the mission