AMERICA/CHILE - Less Catholics in the country, "a fact that cannot leave us indifferent," says the Church
Santiago (Agenzia Fides) - The National Census of the Chilean population of 2012 revealed that 67.37% of the population is Catholic, with a decrease of 2.59 percentage points compared to 2002.
The spokesman of the Episcopal Conference of Chile, Jaime Coiro, said that this is a fact of life that does not leave the leaders of the local Church indifferent. "The decrease in the percentage of Catholics is an important signal that invites us to a sincere introspection to understand what are the weaknesses in the way we live our faith and what aspects we need to strengthen," said Coiro.
In the note sent to Fides by the Chilean Episcopal Conference, Coiro added that these figures should be read in light of the secularization process in which humanity lives and influences people and the culture, because "there are tendencies that seek to relegate religion to the private sphere or directly deny the place that has the transcendent in daily life, with a mentality in which God is really absent, wholly or in part, in the existence and consciousness."
According to official statistics, the relative decline in the percentage of Catholics was accompanied by a slight increase in the percentage of people who profess the evangelical religion.
An increase was recorded in those who say they do not follow any religion, who have gone from 8,30% to 11,58%.
(CE) (Agenzia Fides 05/04/2013)
- 2014-06-26 - Wüñol Tripantu, the Mapuche celebration of the rebirth of life
- 2014-06-20 - "Here we are Lord, in the World Cup": special section on the website of the Catholic Bishops' Conference
- 2014-05-30 - AMERICA/CHILE – Local Catholic Church committed to educational reform nation wide
- 2014-05-07 - The decline in vocations to priesthood at the center of the Assembly of Bishops of Chile
- 2014-04-14 - Card. Ezzati’s appeal: Solidarity with the people of Valparaiso after the tragic fire
- 2014-01-09 - Peru and Chile, brotherly peoples
- 2014-01-07 - "One should listen to the Mapuche people in order to resolve the conflict in Araucanía" asks the Bishop of Temuco
- 2013-12-17 - "Supporting initiatives in favor of development": the President of the Bishops' Conference meets newly elected President Bachelet
- 2013-12-16 - Michelle Bachelet, Chile's new president
- 2013-11-23 - A community divided in two in order to protect the environment threatened by the Pascua Lama project