AMERICA/ARGENTINA - More than 50 victims due to the torrential rains in Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires (Agenzia Fides) - There are more than 50 victims due to the rains, and unfortunately the death toll due to flooding caused by storms that have affected the area of La Plata, in the Province of Buenos Aires is growing by the hour. The Archbishop of La Plata, Mgr. Hector Aguer, sent from Rome condolences to the families of the victims and ordered his bishops to coordinate efforts with Caritas and parishes to assist victims.
Mgr. Aguer called the auxiliary bishop of La Plata, Mgr. Alberto Bochatey to get detailed information about the victims and the damage several affected families have suffered. According to a note sent to Fides, the Archbishop reported that one of the areas most affected is where the Major Seminary of San Jose is situated, in front of Castelli park, and the parish adjacent Our Lady of Mercy, that suffered flooding and serious damage. The water reached one meter inside the buildings. However, the seminarians have provided shelter, food and blankets to dozens of people, including residents and public transport passengers, who had to spend the night in the house of priestly formation. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 04/04/2013)
- 2015-08-18 - “They steal not only the people’s money but also their hope” Bishop Lozano denounces
- 2015-08-05 - Argentina recalls the murder of Mgr. Angelelli who opposed to dictatorship
- 2015-07-22 - "Bring Christ to families": hundreds of young people on a mission to Goya
- 2015-07-21 - "Mission, a way of life": towards the fourth National Meeting of Missionary Groups
- 2015-07-15 - Nearly 30 percent of Argentines live in a situation of poverty
- 2015-07-10 - The Archbishop of Tucuman denounces: laws that violate the rights and freedom of conscience, attacks against the Church, a climate of fear
- 2015-06-24 - Bishop of Jujuy: "We need the State’s strong support against drugs"
- 2015-06-18 - The first Congress on intercultural and interreligious dialogue
- 2015-06-12 - "We are concerned about the new poor", said Mgr. Ojea, head of Caritas
- 2015-06-11 - "In this America's Cup, and always, say no to trafficking": campaign against human trafficking