AFRICA/NIGERIA - Attacks on villages; the Archbishop of Jos "Where are the security forces?"
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - "We are amazed at how these gangs are able to attack the villages and the security forces do not intervene. Police and soldiers appear on the scene only when the attackers have gone away. The situation is really alarming," says to Fides Agency His Exc. Mgr. Ignatius Ayau Kaigama Archbishop of Jos and President of the Bishops' Conference of Nigeria, commenting on the recent attacks committed by gangs of Fulani farmers against three villages in central Nigeria that caused, between Holy Saturday and Easter Sunday, 19 victims and 4,500 displaced.
The continuous attacks committed against villages in the States of Kaduna and Plateau have caused about 90 deaths in recent months. Mgr. Kaigama wonders why the security forces are unable to stop this wave of violence, "Where do these people come from? What streets do they take to reach the affected villages? How do they bring the weapons of war to conduct their attacks without attracting the attention of the police? "
We ask Mgr. Kaigama if he considers it possible that these gangs are funded by someone for political purposes. "I do not know, but I can say that the Fulani farmers who commit these crimes in response to the theft of livestock (at least this is what they claim), are able to procure weapons of war because they have more income compared to the farmers they attack." (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 03/04/2013)
- 2013-11-25 AFRICA/NIGERIA - Cardinal Onaiyekan’s prudence on the news of Christian women abducted by Boko Haram and forcibly converted to Islam
- 2013-11-22 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "The existence of many Pentecostal churches is no impediment to the evangelization mission of the Catholic Church", said Cardinal Onaiyekan
- 2013-11-14 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "Good knowledge of other religions at the basis for dialogue between Christians and Muslims"
- 2013-11-13 AFRICA/NIGERIA - The Nigerian deputies open an investigation into the management of oil
- 2013-11-07 AFRICA/NIGERIA - A stampede left at least 28 people dead during a prayer vigil
- 2013-10-16 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "The Church urged to reduce poverty", says the Director of Caritas
- 2013-09-30 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "Boko Haram is now composed of fanatics that affect Christians and Muslims," said Bishop Kaigama
- 2013-09-20 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "I am happy to be a Catholic" Holy Childhood celebrates the Year of Faith
- 2013-09-20 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "Boko Haram has no qualms in killing innocent people", said Mgr. Kaigama
- 2013-09-16 AFRICA/NIGERIA - The Bishops denounce "the attempts of foreign agencies to introduce unhealthy values in society"