AMERICA/UNITED STATES - 1.3 billion people worldwide live on less than $ 1.25 a day
Washington (Agenzia Fides) - More than 50% of the population living in extreme poverty are concentrated in China, India and Brazil. According to World Bank data, a total of 1.3 billion people live on less than $ 1.25 a day, alarming figures only partially muffled by the fall, despite the crisis, in the richest countries. Since the beginning of the 80's, 600million people have been able to overcome poverty, reducing the percentage of the world's population living in extreme conditions from 42 to 19%. According to experts, this decline was due to the advancement of the main emerging countries, China, India and Brazil, where, however, more than 50% of the poor are concentrated. Currently, in South Asia and sub-Saharan Africa, respectively 571 and 386 million people live below the poverty line. South-east Asia, with 284 million people in this situation, is in third place, followed by America. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 03/04/2013)
- 2014-04-02 - Six thousand migrants have died in 15 years, the U.S. Bishops celebrated a Mass at the border
- 2014-03-12 - A Catholic Guide for parishes with faithful of different languages and ethnic groups
- 2014-03-05 - The Bishops on the crisis in Ukraine: "We raise our voice in defense of religious liberty"
- 2014-02-25 - AMERICA/ UNITED STATES – The Church should never forget her duty to accompany immigrants towards integration
- 2014-02-13 - American Indians: neglected and marginalized, but have great capacities
- 2014-01-29 - President Obama: "it is urgent to reform the immigration system"
- 2014-01-15 - Archbishop Gomez looks for support among those who do not agree on the immigration reform
- 2014-01-14 - "They take care of our children and build our homes, but they have no rights": for a more humane approach towards immigrants
- 2014-01-13 - The Bishops: excessive military engagement in the fight against drugs in Mexico
- 2013-10-16 - Every day 1,400 children under 5 years of age die due to a lack of drinking water