AMERICA/UNITED STATES - 1.3 billion people worldwide live on less than $ 1.25 a day
Washington (Agenzia Fides) - More than 50% of the population living in extreme poverty are concentrated in China, India and Brazil. According to World Bank data, a total of 1.3 billion people live on less than $ 1.25 a day, alarming figures only partially muffled by the fall, despite the crisis, in the richest countries. Since the beginning of the 80's, 600million people have been able to overcome poverty, reducing the percentage of the world's population living in extreme conditions from 42 to 19%. According to experts, this decline was due to the advancement of the main emerging countries, China, India and Brazil, where, however, more than 50% of the poor are concentrated. Currently, in South Asia and sub-Saharan Africa, respectively 571 and 386 million people live below the poverty line. South-east Asia, with 284 million people in this situation, is in third place, followed by America. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 03/04/2013)
- 2014-03-05 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - The Bishops on the crisis in Ukraine: "We raise our voice in defense of religious liberty"
- 2014-02-25 AMERICA/ UNITED STATES – The Church should never forget her duty to accompany immigrants towards integration
- 2014-02-13 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - American Indians: neglected and marginalized, but have great capacities
- 2014-01-29 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - President Obama: "it is urgent to reform the immigration system"
- 2014-01-15 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Archbishop Gomez looks for support among those who do not agree on the immigration reform
- 2014-01-14 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - "They take care of our children and build our homes, but they have no rights": for a more humane approach towards immigrants
- 2014-01-13 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - The Bishops: excessive military engagement in the fight against drugs in Mexico
- 2013-10-16 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Every day 1,400 children under 5 years of age die due to a lack of drinking water
- 2013-10-14 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - "Education cannot wait": due to conflicts about 29 million children lack education
- 2013-10-02 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - "Millions of Americans struggle to live": Bishops urgent request to the government