AMERICA/REP. SANTO DOMINGO - Hope for the inhabitants of bateye living in extreme poverty
San Pedro de Macoris (Agenzia Fides) - Among the sugar cane plantations, 70 kilometers east of Santo Domingo, Haitians and Dominicans survive thanks to humanitarian aid that covers most of the local population. 10% of the population of the Dominican Republic live in extreme poverty in the batey, villages built with recycled materials in the midst of sugar cane plantations, also inhabited by Haitian workers with their families. In 16 of the provinces of San Pedro de Macoris and La Altagracia, in the east, and Bahoruco, in the southwest, in the last four years more than 10 000 people have benefited from a joint aid program between the humanitarian organization Save the Children and Mujeres en Desarrollo Dominican (MUDE).
The objective of the initiative is to improve the living conditions in bateye from a health, education, hygiene and housing point of view. In total, according to the data, 776 homes have been built for 3,100 people, 524 latrines for 550 families, and 13 schools for 1,300 children. The program was also supported by various state institutions that have given land to build community centers, which in turn will serve as emergency shelters, latrines, houses and orchards. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 26/03/013)
AMERICA/REP. SANTO DOMINGO
- 2015-08-04 - “Haiti refuses to help its own emigrants to regularise their status ” Dominican Republic intellectuals claim
- 2015-08-03 - Migrants: Bishops call for definitive solution
- 2015-07-24 - “Working at prevention” can put an end to violence, says Bishop Peña Rodríguez
- 2015-05-29 - The Pope urges us not to be indifferent towards immigrants
- 2015-05-20 - 90% of HIV-positive Dominicans live in extreme poverty
- 2015-05-15 - AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC – Cardinal Rubén Salazar Gómez, Colombian, elected President of CELAM
- 2015-05-04 - The Bishops encourage the President to continue direct contact with people most in need
- 2015-03-16 - Appeal of the Church in the Dominican Republic and Haiti: "Respect the human dignity of migrants"
- 2015-01-28 - Tension on the border with Haiti: appeal to the authorities of both countries
- 2014-10-07 - Requests on behalf of the National Assembly of Pastoral Care: Austerity and solidarity with workers,