AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Truce of God for Holy Week, a call for peace with small gestures
Cali (Agenzia Fides) - The archbishop of Cali, Monsignor Dario Monsalve Mejía, urged the armed groups to engage in a"truce of God" during Holy Week, to show a "sign of hope for peace."
In a statement, sent to Fides, Mgr. Monsalve Mejía asks everyone to engage in the choice of non-violence publicly showing such option "in writing or by any means at their disposal." May this, hopes the Archbishop be, "a simple gesture in favor of spirituality and non-violence, of reflection and prayer that are necessary for peace and reconciliation."
The Archbishop of Cali has also asked the government to order "a setback in the offensive war against guerrillas and criminal gangs also made of violent actions and ambushes, so that "reason will prevail in the talks." The Archbishop asked the different armed criminal groups in action in the region to refrain from any violent aggression towards ordinary citizens and authorities, putting away their arms and to avoid disturbance of the peace in places where there are religious celebrations or where people practice sports and try to live quiet moments of conviviality. Concluding his appeal, Msg. Monsalve Mejia asked everyone to wear white clothes during Holy Week to show their support for the request of truce, and even dialogues of peace between the government and the guerrillas of the FARC currently underway in Cuba (CE) (Agenzia Fides 23/03/2013)
- 2015-05-26 - "Stop deaths! An agreement has to be reached as soon as possible", asks Cardinal Salazar Gómez
- 2015-05-22 - In the tragedy a light of life: the funeral of 33 of the 84 deaths due to the landslide in Salgar
- 2015-05-07 - Children recruited by the FARC: they are prisoners and infected with the human papilloma virus
- 2015-05-04 - Talks resume for peace, despite the incidents and the distrust of the Colombians
- 2015-04-22 - The Episcopal Council for Peace analyzes the situation of the talks
- 2015-04-21 - Emergency for violence and attacks against minors
- 2015-04-16 - Eleven soldiers killed, the Church asks for a definitive cease-fire
- 2015-04-01 - Special care for children infected with chikungunya
- 2015-03-30 - Joy in the suffering: Sincelejo welcomes the new Bishop remembering the pastor killed
- 2015-03-25 - Concern of the Church: peace talks must continue