AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Truce of God for Holy Week, a call for peace with small gestures
Cali (Agenzia Fides) - The archbishop of Cali, Monsignor Dario Monsalve Mejía, urged the armed groups to engage in a"truce of God" during Holy Week, to show a "sign of hope for peace."
In a statement, sent to Fides, Mgr. Monsalve Mejía asks everyone to engage in the choice of non-violence publicly showing such option "in writing or by any means at their disposal." May this, hopes the Archbishop be, "a simple gesture in favor of spirituality and non-violence, of reflection and prayer that are necessary for peace and reconciliation."
The Archbishop of Cali has also asked the government to order "a setback in the offensive war against guerrillas and criminal gangs also made of violent actions and ambushes, so that "reason will prevail in the talks." The Archbishop asked the different armed criminal groups in action in the region to refrain from any violent aggression towards ordinary citizens and authorities, putting away their arms and to avoid disturbance of the peace in places where there are religious celebrations or where people practice sports and try to live quiet moments of conviviality. Concluding his appeal, Msg. Monsalve Mejia asked everyone to wear white clothes during Holy Week to show their support for the request of truce, and even dialogues of peace between the government and the guerrillas of the FARC currently underway in Cuba (CE) (Agenzia Fides 23/03/2013)
- 2014-08-20 - "Only mercy can make justice a reality", said Cardinal Salazar Gómez
- 2014-08-18 - The first 12 members of the delegation of the victims will participate in Peace Talks which take place in Cuba
- 2014-08-13 - Dialogues of Peace between the government and FARC
- 2014-08-01 - The Church: stop the violence, but do not stop peace talks
- 2014-07-28 - Guerrilla groups become political parties: for the Church this is a positive step
- 2014-07-11 - After the Bishops also international organizations denounce the serious situation in Chocò
- 2014-07-10 - The new President of the Episcopate reiterates that peace is the great challenge of the country
- 2014-07-09 - In the region of Chocò: "We are forgotten by all, we have no protection, people live in anguish"
- 2014-07-05 - The Assembly of Bishops begins: Analysis of social reality and new directives
- 2014-07-03 - Historic meeting between religious communities for peace in the country