AMERICA/MEXICO - "We are coming to get your head": threats to the priest who accepts migrants
Tenosique (Agenzia Fides) - "We are coming to get your head", with these words on behalf of strangers over the phone and then reported by a terrified immigrant used as an emissary, is how father Fray Tomás González was threatened, coordinator of the Refuge House for Migrants "La 72" in Tenosique in the State of Tabasco in southern Mexico. "We have received more than one threat only to report that we do not want to pay protection money to groups that want to get rid of immigrants," said Fr. González to a local radio station.
A note sent to Fides also reports that the hostel staff reported the threats to the Office of the Attorney General of the Republic (PGR), which opened an investigation. Following the reports, however, acts of intimidation have increased.
Even the NGO Amnesty International (AI) has warned of death threats received by one of the main responsibles of the hostel, Ruben Figueroa.
Violence against defenders of immigrants in southern Mexico has increased in recent times after the focus on the issue of illegal immigration, until last year focused on the north of the Country, shifted to the south. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 21/03/2013)
- 2015-03-31 - The denunciation of the Bishop of Piedras Negras: Too many missing persons of whom we know nothing
- 2015-03-23 - Caritas supports 80 thousand people without food or health care
- 2015-02-27 - The number of child laborers, exploited and often unpaid continues to increase
- 2015-02-27 - 5 months after the death of the students of Ayotzinapa: a calm but critical attitude
- 2015-02-20 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Nine years of indifference and impunity: the tragedy of Pasta de Conchos mine
- 2015-02-18 - “The poor are the ones who pay the price of corrupt politicians” Bishops denounce
- 2015-02-16 - For 20 years a group of women has offered railway-line assistance to emigrants travelling towards the United States
- 2015-02-12 - The Archdiocese of Acapulco committed to protecting young people from criminal gangs
- 2015-02-10 - Migrants: a phenomenon which is difficult to quantify
- 2015-02-09 - The Bishop of Zacatecas: "People die every day"