AMERICA/MEXICO - "We are coming to get your head": threats to the priest who accepts migrants
Tenosique (Agenzia Fides) - "We are coming to get your head", with these words on behalf of strangers over the phone and then reported by a terrified immigrant used as an emissary, is how father Fray Tomás González was threatened, coordinator of the Refuge House for Migrants "La 72" in Tenosique in the State of Tabasco in southern Mexico. "We have received more than one threat only to report that we do not want to pay protection money to groups that want to get rid of immigrants," said Fr. González to a local radio station.
A note sent to Fides also reports that the hostel staff reported the threats to the Office of the Attorney General of the Republic (PGR), which opened an investigation. Following the reports, however, acts of intimidation have increased.
Even the NGO Amnesty International (AI) has warned of death threats received by one of the main responsibles of the hostel, Ruben Figueroa.
Violence against defenders of immigrants in southern Mexico has increased in recent times after the focus on the issue of illegal immigration, until last year focused on the north of the Country, shifted to the south. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 21/03/2013)
- 2015-08-03 - Solidarity Prize: Spanish Bishops in favour of Las Patronas candidature
- 2015-07-27 - Mariachi Zombie: amusing animated television series discredits bad zombie myth
- 2015-07-22 - Truth, justice, forgiveness and reconciliation: the pillars of peace promoted by the Church
- 2015-07-20 - Young Chiapas form an orchestra with pre-Hispanic instruments
- 2015-07-14 - Bishops on the escape of El Chapo, "we are not naive, we must eradicate corruption"
- 2015-07-13 - "Corruption spreads when transparency remains only good intentions": the Catholic voice before the scandals
- 2015-07-02 - A recreational project for indigenous children of different ethnicities
- 2015-07-02 - Widespread violence does not spare even three elderly nuns
- 2015-06-25 - Periodic monitoring of the situation of migrants, joint efforts of government and Church
- 2015-06-15 - Bishop of Mazatlan’s appeal after the violence perpetrated during the weekend