AMERICA/MEXICO - "We are coming to get your head": threats to the priest who accepts migrants
Tenosique (Agenzia Fides) - "We are coming to get your head", with these words on behalf of strangers over the phone and then reported by a terrified immigrant used as an emissary, is how father Fray Tomás González was threatened, coordinator of the Refuge House for Migrants "La 72" in Tenosique in the State of Tabasco in southern Mexico. "We have received more than one threat only to report that we do not want to pay protection money to groups that want to get rid of immigrants," said Fr. González to a local radio station.
A note sent to Fides also reports that the hostel staff reported the threats to the Office of the Attorney General of the Republic (PGR), which opened an investigation. Following the reports, however, acts of intimidation have increased.
Even the NGO Amnesty International (AI) has warned of death threats received by one of the main responsibles of the hostel, Ruben Figueroa.
Violence against defenders of immigrants in southern Mexico has increased in recent times after the focus on the issue of illegal immigration, until last year focused on the north of the Country, shifted to the south. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 21/03/2013)
- 2014-09-09 - AMERICA/MEXICO – majority of child workers in Mexico’s south east regions
- 2014-09-08 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Appointment of National Director of the Pontifical Mission Societi
- 2014-09-01 - “Migrants: for a better world”, pastoral care for human mobility national meeting
- 2014-08-20 - The number of migrants who are victims of human trafficking increases
- 2014-08-12 - Organ trafficking and sexual exploitation: about 45,000 children and young people missing and abducted
- 2014-08-05 - The State of Tabasco extends medical assistance to migrants; the satisfaction of the Bishop
- 2014-07-31 - The Bishops: "Family Reunification for immigrant children"
- 2014-07-31 - Major epidemiological control towards the chikungunya virus
- 2014-07-30 - Prisons become "universities of crime": the Church insists on re-education
- 2014-07-28 - Over five thousand people march for peace and for life