AMERICA/MEXICO - "We are coming to get your head": threats to the priest who accepts migrants
Tenosique (Agenzia Fides) - "We are coming to get your head", with these words on behalf of strangers over the phone and then reported by a terrified immigrant used as an emissary, is how father Fray Tomás González was threatened, coordinator of the Refuge House for Migrants "La 72" in Tenosique in the State of Tabasco in southern Mexico. "We have received more than one threat only to report that we do not want to pay protection money to groups that want to get rid of immigrants," said Fr. González to a local radio station.
A note sent to Fides also reports that the hostel staff reported the threats to the Office of the Attorney General of the Republic (PGR), which opened an investigation. Following the reports, however, acts of intimidation have increased.
Even the NGO Amnesty International (AI) has warned of death threats received by one of the main responsibles of the hostel, Ruben Figueroa.
Violence against defenders of immigrants in southern Mexico has increased in recent times after the focus on the issue of illegal immigration, until last year focused on the north of the Country, shifted to the south. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 21/03/2013)
- 2014-10-30 - The families of the students who disappeared will be received by the President, Pope Francis asks for prayers
- 2014-10-27 - Living Rosary: 30 thousand faithful pray for drug traffickers and organized crime
- 2014-10-24 - Appeal and prayers for the students kidnapped: "Let them come back alive"
- 2014-10-21 - When you do not respect the right of even one person, it jeopardizes the right of all
- 2014-10-21 - 2000 children have been killed or maimed between 2006 and 2014
- 2014-10-15 - "Never accept violence as a solution", warns Mgr. Lona Reyes who proposes a prayer campaign
- 2014-10-14 - Bishops on the Iguala case: "clarify what happened, the truth is the path to justice"
- 2014-10-10 - The tragedy of Iguala and its consequences: a letter from the Archbishop of Acapulco
- 2014-10-09 - Corrupt policemen and climate of mistrust, the Bishop of La Paz denounces the silence of the authorities
- 2014-09-29 - Prevention and relief centers: the Church committed against addiction