AMERICA/HONDURAS - "March for Peace", a traditional Via Crucis to stop the violence in the country
Comayagua (Agenzia Fides) – On 22 March the "Caminata por la Paz" (Peace March) will start from the parish of St. Gaspar Taulabé (Comayagua), the procession of thousands of faithful who come from all over Honduras.
"This event is a tradition born at the time of the missionary Manuel de Jesus Subirana and has become an expression of the deep spirituality of our people, that in this way share the pain, the grief and anguish, with the certainty of receiving comfort, forgiveness and the strength to continue to live in our own community," said Father Eduardo Mendez, a pastor who organized the event, which also includes the celebration of the Way of the Cross.
The theme of peace is very much felt in a Country where, as reported in a note sent to Fides, violence is experienced at all levels, from family to civil society. In recent years in particular, there is increasing violence against women: in 2012 417 were killed. (see Fides 21/02/2013). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 21/03/2013)
- 2014-08-19 - The church calls on the authorities to change the situation in prisons
- 2014-07-23 - The Bishop of Choluteca: 5000 people are forced to put their lives at risk in mines every day
- 2014-07-02 - Campaign in schools in favor of children on the issue of responsibility
- 2014-06-23 - It is time to take action! More than 13 thousand children and young Hondurans at the U.S. Border
- 2014-06-13 - Honour of the Congress to Bishop Emiliani Sánchez for his social contribution
- 2014-05-15 - Violence against children who suffer abuse and harassment continues
- 2014-05-13 - Condemnation of the Church for the murder of children, violence does not stop in the country
- 2014-04-30 - Femicide continues to spread: nearly 4000 women were killed between 2002 and 2013
- 2014-04-16 - Appeal to clarify the murder of an employee of Radio Progreso
- 2014-03-11 - Criminal gangs train children to handle firearms