AMERICA/HONDURAS - "March for Peace", a traditional Via Crucis to stop the violence in the country
Comayagua (Agenzia Fides) – On 22 March the "Caminata por la Paz" (Peace March) will start from the parish of St. Gaspar Taulabé (Comayagua), the procession of thousands of faithful who come from all over Honduras.
"This event is a tradition born at the time of the missionary Manuel de Jesus Subirana and has become an expression of the deep spirituality of our people, that in this way share the pain, the grief and anguish, with the certainty of receiving comfort, forgiveness and the strength to continue to live in our own community," said Father Eduardo Mendez, a pastor who organized the event, which also includes the celebration of the Way of the Cross.
The theme of peace is very much felt in a Country where, as reported in a note sent to Fides, violence is experienced at all levels, from family to civil society. In recent years in particular, there is increasing violence against women: in 2012 417 were killed. (see Fides 21/02/2013). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 21/03/2013)
- 2014-04-16 - Appeal to clarify the murder of an employee of Radio Progreso
- 2014-03-11 - Criminal gangs train children to handle firearms
- 2014-02-10 - Recognition proposal for the intense social work carried out by the Auxiliary Bishop of the Diocese of San Pedro Sula
- 2014-01-20 - 3,800 children and young people killed in the last four years
- 2014-01-16 - In order to reintegrate into society, ex-prisoners form a solidarity group
- 2014-01-13 - Sexual abuse and prostitution per 3000 girls between 12 to 17 years of age
- 2013-11-21 - "A story of injustice and inequality, it is time for a change": ready for Sunday's elections
- 2013-11-19 - "Vote to have transparent and honest politicians"; 51% of voters are women
- 2013-10-11 - "Children in Christ, firm in Faith", 20,000 letters to the Pope for the National Day of Missionary Childhood
- 2013-10-11 - Confidence in the future of the country, the Bishops call for a free and responsible election