AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Poverty in the country is three times higher than that of Chile and Uruguay
Caracas (Agenzia Fides) - According to a report released by the research center Idesa Argentina, in Peru, poverty has been reduced from 49% to 28% of the population, in Chile from 21% to 11%, in Uruguay from 9 % to 8%. In Venezuela, according to estimates by the Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean (ECLAC), poverty in 1999 involved 49% of the population, while in 2011, the latest figure available from this source, poverty was reduced to 30% of the population. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 20/03/2013)
- 2014-04-16 - "The situation of the country does not depend only on a political issue", said Mgr. Parra Sandoval
- 2014-04-14 - Cardinal Urosa invites to find every possible path to solve the serious problems in the country, due to general discomfort
- 2014-04-11 - Pope Francis writes to Venezuelan leaders and opposition ahead of key talks
- 2014-04-08 - Growing concerns about insecurity, while today Maduro meets the opposition
- 2014-04-03 - The Bishops alarm after two months of violence: "Venezuela government seeks 'totalitarian' regime"
- 2014-03-29 - The Holy See "willing and eager" to help Venezuela
- 2014-03-25 - AMERICA/VENEZUELA – Dialogue is "necessary" to stop violence
- 2014-03-21 - Bishops, missionaries, believers from all over the country: we want peace!
- 2014-03-15 - The Church: stop to the violence in Venezuela
- 2014-03-11 - One cannot stop violence with violence