AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Poverty in the country is three times higher than that of Chile and Uruguay
Caracas (Agenzia Fides) - According to a report released by the research center Idesa Argentina, in Peru, poverty has been reduced from 49% to 28% of the population, in Chile from 21% to 11%, in Uruguay from 9 % to 8%. In Venezuela, according to estimates by the Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean (ECLAC), poverty in 1999 involved 49% of the population, while in 2011, the latest figure available from this source, poverty was reduced to 30% of the population. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 20/03/2013)
- 2015-02-27 - The Bishops: "Stop murderous violence!"
- 2015-02-25 - More violence and protests: 6 dead in six days of demonstrations
- 2015-02-24 - Growing tension in the capital, Cardinal Urosa denounces murder of 3 students
- 2015-02-20 - Police arrest Mayor of Caracas, for Archbishop Lückert “proof of dictatorship ”
- 2015-01-31 - Four churches attacked in Mérida
- 2015-01-30 - Mgr. Parra robbed during a parish meeting: "Money is spent on many things, but not on safety"
- 2015-01-13 - Dialogue to end the crisis: the exhortation of the Episcopal Conference
- 2015-01-12 - Shops are empty: Cardinal Urosa calls on the government to act quickly and urges to remain calm
- 2015-01-08 - AMERICA/VENEZUELA – Assembly of Bishops: dialogue to end the crisis and the necessity to find agreed solutions
- 2014-12-06 - Poverty, few infrastructures and precarious preventive measures: fertile terrain for Chikungunya virus