AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - Monsignor Romero, 33 years after his death the cause of beatification advances
San Salvador (Agenzia Fides) - The week to commemorate the 33 years of the murder of the Archbishop of San Salvador, Oscar Arnulfo Romero continues. He was assassinated on March 24, 1980 while celebrating Mass in the chapel of the Divina Providencia.
On Sunday, March 17, Salvadorans and foreign believers, participated in the "pilgrimage of light", so named because Mgr. Romero "is the light of these people." Mgr. Romero in fact dedicated his pastoral action in defense of the poor and disadvantaged. A note sent to Fides, reports the words of His Exc. Mgr. Gregorio Rosa Chavez, auxiliary Bishop of San Salvador, in the traditional press conference held at the Metropolitan Cathedral: "I am very optimistic about the beatification of Mgr. Romero." He then added: "The Argentine Pope, Jorge Mario Bergoglio, who I have the pleasure of knowing personally, has a devotion towards Mgr. Romero and the full conviction that he is a saint and a martyr."
Mgr. Romero is remembered for speaking out against the injustices committed in the years previous to the armed conflict in El Salvador, which lasted twelve years (1980-1992) and that caused 75,000 deaths, 8,000 missing and 12,000 disabled. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 20/03/2013)
- 2015-04-29 - Beatification of Mgr. Romero: 9 heads of state have already confirmed their participation
- 2015-04-21 - Poverty exacerbates the living conditions of HIV-positive children
- 2015-03-24 - "Young people want to know more about Romero"
- 2015-03-12 - "The saint of all El Salvador" - beatification of Mgr. Romero on 23 May
- 2015-02-05 - Feast in Ciudad Barrios, the birthplace of Mgr. Romero
- 2015-02-04 - Mgr. Romero Beato: "Immense joy in the Salvadoran Church"; "It will be a historic event," emphasizes the Presidency
- 2015-02-03 - Auxiliary Bishop: we do not negotiate any truce, we want an open dialogue with all
- 2015-01-28 - "Yo soy uno de ellos": young children in parishes and schools in favor of the most vulnerable
- 2014-11-03 - The National Security Council begins
- 2014-10-20 - Violence increases more and more and families are the most affected