AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - Monsignor Romero, 33 years after his death the cause of beatification advances
San Salvador (Agenzia Fides) - The week to commemorate the 33 years of the murder of the Archbishop of San Salvador, Oscar Arnulfo Romero continues. He was assassinated on March 24, 1980 while celebrating Mass in the chapel of the Divina Providencia.
On Sunday, March 17, Salvadorans and foreign believers, participated in the "pilgrimage of light", so named because Mgr. Romero "is the light of these people." Mgr. Romero in fact dedicated his pastoral action in defense of the poor and disadvantaged. A note sent to Fides, reports the words of His Exc. Mgr. Gregorio Rosa Chavez, auxiliary Bishop of San Salvador, in the traditional press conference held at the Metropolitan Cathedral: "I am very optimistic about the beatification of Mgr. Romero." He then added: "The Argentine Pope, Jorge Mario Bergoglio, who I have the pleasure of knowing personally, has a devotion towards Mgr. Romero and the full conviction that he is a saint and a martyr."
Mgr. Romero is remembered for speaking out against the injustices committed in the years previous to the armed conflict in El Salvador, which lasted twelve years (1980-1992) and that caused 75,000 deaths, 8,000 missing and 12,000 disabled. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 20/03/2013)
- 2013-05-15 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - Truce or peace process, but the population still suffers violence, denounce the Bishops
- 2013-04-10 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - OAS and government together in the peace process, the truce between the gangs is a first step
- 2013-03-25 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - Mgr. Romero was not a politician but a true pastor
- 2013-03-20 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - Monsignor Romero, 33 years after his death the cause of beatification advances
- 2013-03-08 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - The truce between the gangs is a positive iniative, but more needs to be done
- 2013-02-25 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - Appeal for electoral campaign without violence and with transparency
- 2013-01-22 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - The Vatican - observer of the Central American Integration System (SICA)
- 2012-11-16 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - "United for life and for peace," the Catholic initiative to support the truce among the gangs
- 2012-10-15 AMERICA/ EL SALVADOR - "Politics is discredited, it has to be retrieved" urges Mgr. Rosa Chavez
- 2012-08-03 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - "Regain our dignity", the Church welcomes dialogue but without external pressures