AFRICA/SIERRA LEONE - More than 3,000 children forced to work in caves to pay for college and help families
Freetown (Agenzia Fides) - Thousands of children in Sierra Leone are forced to break rocks with a hammer to pay for their studies and to help their families make ends meet. It is the sad reality, quite usual in the country that many children live and are engaged for hours in this hard work every day and risk accidents and injuries. In Sierra Leone, education and child labor are often closely linked, and the school is yet another economic challenge. Although basic schools are free, families must provide for the purchase of uniforms, books, pens, pay transportation and sometimes must also contribute to the teachers salaries. Therefore, to be able to send their children to school, many parents are forced to send them even to work. In 2007, thanks to a private initiative, a school in the village of Adonkia was founded, completely free, a few kilometers away from the capital Freetown, with the aim of bringing the children out of the cave. Currently 380 students, all working children, and it is estimated that across the country there are more than 3000. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 20/03/2013)
- 2015-11-06 - AFRICA/SIERRA LEONE – On Saturday, November 7, 2015: the Country will be declared "Ebola free"
- 2015-09-25 - Thousands of displaced by floods which hit the Country
- 2015-07-22 - Ebola: people want to go back to normality, but we must not let our guard down
- 2015-07-08 - Archbishop of Freetown: "people are making efforts to protect themselves against Ebola"
- 2015-06-18 - Schools closed for ebola: child abuse, teenage pregnancy, prostitution are on the rise
- 2015-04-15 - The Bishops: "We must be steadfast in the efforts to eradicate the Ebola virus disease and defend our democracy"
- 2015-03-09 - Care centers for children who have been in contact with family members infected by Ebola
- 2015-03-03 - Investigation into the embezzlement of funds allocated in the fight against Ebola virus
- 2015-01-31 - Entire populations deprived of basic health services: commitment to the re-opening of the hospital in Lunsar
- 2015-01-19 - Emergency Ebola: light at the end of the tunnel