ASIA/LEBANON - Roman meetings between Patriarch Rai and political Lebanese leaders on the electoral law
Rome (Agenzia Fides) - Today consultations between the Patriarch of Antioch of the Maronites Boutros Bechara Rai and political leaders of the Lebanese delegation, who arrived in the City to attend the opening Mass of the Petrine ministry of Pope Francis, continue in Rome. Discussions will focus on the impasse on the electoral law that is paralyzing the political life in Lebanon in a very delicate moment, while there is a growing risk that the Syrian conflict destabilizes the Country of the Cedars.
Yesterday Patriarch Rai - who as a member of the College of Cardinals took part in the Conclave - had extensive discussions with the President of the House Nabih Berri and Prime Minister Nagib Mikati. Today consultations continued at the Maronite Pontifical College in Via di Porta Pinciana with the participation of the Lebanese Minister of the Environment Nazem Khoury, who is also in Rome.
Yesterday, the President of the Chamber Berri issued to the Lebanese press statements full of expectations: "As the white smoke has risen from this country," said the Lebanese politician of Shiite confession "we hope that the prayers of the Patriarch, as well as the initiative on his behalf will help us to raise a white smoke meaning the end of our problems, especially with regard to the electoral law." (GV) (Agenzia Fides 18/03/2013).
- 2015-11-13 - The President of Caritas Lebanon after the bombing in Beirut: our country is at risk
- 2015-11-06 - The Maronite Bishops: no to the division of Syria
- 2015-10-27 - Metropolitan Georges Khodr: who said Lebanon’s president must be Maronite?
- 2015-10-22 - ASIA/LEBANON – Leading members of Maronite Foundation stress necessity of recovery of nationality law for expatriate Lebanese
- 2015-10-21 - The Maronite diocese of Zahlé supports the breast cancer awareness campaign
- 2015-09-10 - Lebanese crisis, a delegation of Hezbollah meets with Maronite Patriarch
- 2015-09-01 - The Heads of Churches: the protests risk being "infiltrated"
- 2015-08-31 - Islamic-Christian summit postponed, while protests against politicians continue
- 2015-08-29 - A Muslim-Christian summit on the agenda to overcome the institutional crisis
- 2015-08-25 - Syriac Catholic Bishop Flavianus Michael Melki, martyr of the "Assyrian Genocide" will be beatified next Saturday