ASIA/LEBANON - Roman meetings between Patriarch Rai and political Lebanese leaders on the electoral law
Rome (Agenzia Fides) - Today consultations between the Patriarch of Antioch of the Maronites Boutros Bechara Rai and political leaders of the Lebanese delegation, who arrived in the City to attend the opening Mass of the Petrine ministry of Pope Francis, continue in Rome. Discussions will focus on the impasse on the electoral law that is paralyzing the political life in Lebanon in a very delicate moment, while there is a growing risk that the Syrian conflict destabilizes the Country of the Cedars.
Yesterday Patriarch Rai - who as a member of the College of Cardinals took part in the Conclave - had extensive discussions with the President of the House Nabih Berri and Prime Minister Nagib Mikati. Today consultations continued at the Maronite Pontifical College in Via di Porta Pinciana with the participation of the Lebanese Minister of the Environment Nazem Khoury, who is also in Rome.
Yesterday, the President of the Chamber Berri issued to the Lebanese press statements full of expectations: "As the white smoke has risen from this country," said the Lebanese politician of Shiite confession "we hope that the prayers of the Patriarch, as well as the initiative on his behalf will help us to raise a white smoke meaning the end of our problems, especially with regard to the electoral law." (GV) (Agenzia Fides 18/03/2013).
- 2014-04-11 - Neither Geagea, nor Aoun. For Patriarch Rai the new President must be a "figure of consensus"
- 2014-04-10 - The president of Caritas Lebanon: the international community has to open refugee camps in Syria
- 2014-03-26 - Patriarch Rai intervenes on the election of the new President
- 2014-03-18 - Patriarch Rai at the Mass for Caritas: the war of attrition in the Country must stop
- 2014-03-11 - Maronite Church: to encourage organ donation
- 2014-02-15 - The reduction of lands belonging to Christians continues
- 2014-02-10 - Feast of St. Maron, the Lebanese reflect on the "Bkerké Charter"
- 2014-02-05 - The victims of the Armenian Genocide will be canonized
- 2014-02-01 - Maronite priest Paul Karam new President of Caritas Lebanon
- 2014-01-23 - Patriarch Rai: Tripoli will not give in to the spiral of sectarian violence