ASIA/LEBANON - Roman meetings between Patriarch Rai and political Lebanese leaders on the electoral law
Rome (Agenzia Fides) - Today consultations between the Patriarch of Antioch of the Maronites Boutros Bechara Rai and political leaders of the Lebanese delegation, who arrived in the City to attend the opening Mass of the Petrine ministry of Pope Francis, continue in Rome. Discussions will focus on the impasse on the electoral law that is paralyzing the political life in Lebanon in a very delicate moment, while there is a growing risk that the Syrian conflict destabilizes the Country of the Cedars.
Yesterday Patriarch Rai - who as a member of the College of Cardinals took part in the Conclave - had extensive discussions with the President of the House Nabih Berri and Prime Minister Nagib Mikati. Today consultations continued at the Maronite Pontifical College in Via di Porta Pinciana with the participation of the Lebanese Minister of the Environment Nazem Khoury, who is also in Rome.
Yesterday, the President of the Chamber Berri issued to the Lebanese press statements full of expectations: "As the white smoke has risen from this country," said the Lebanese politician of Shiite confession "we hope that the prayers of the Patriarch, as well as the initiative on his behalf will help us to raise a white smoke meaning the end of our problems, especially with regard to the electoral law." (GV) (Agenzia Fides 18/03/2013).
- 2014-09-12 - Synod of the Armenian Catholic Church: let's get ready and join the Pope in the Mass on the centenary of the Genocide thenesteesntjeenstjnejestjieest n
- 2014-08-20 - Maronite Patriarch Rai: united also with Hezbolllah to block the road to the infiltration of the ISIL
- 2014-07-28 - Patriarch Rai: The new President should not be linked to the two "blocks"
- 2014-07-10 - Patriarch Rai to Lebanese missionaries: the Arab world needs the Gospel
- 2014-07-07 - Patriarch Rai: the existence of Lebanon at risk
- 2014-06-20 - The Maronite Bishops: who boycots Parliament sessions to elect a new president places the Country at risk
- 2014-06-12 - The annual Synod of the Maronite Church has begun. Patriarch Rai: let us pray so that a new President is elected
- 2014-06-03 - Orthodox Patriarch Yohanna X announces the Conference of the Church of Antioch
- 2014-05-14 - Grand Mufti Qabbani proposes a new "pact" between Muslims and Christians in the Middle East
- 2014-05-12 - Patriarch Rai on the presidential elections: a power vacuum would erase the role of Christians