AMERICA/COLOMBIA - "Why are we not able to live in peace?" Asks the Archbishop of Medellin
Medellin (Agenzia Fides) - On the eve of a violent weekend in which 31 people were killed, the Archbishop of Medellin, His Exc. Mgr. Ricardo Antonio Tobon Restrepo, expressed his concern regarding the violence that plagues the city .
In a letter to the city, the Archbishop put 15 questions on the local situation, preceded by an introduction: "One speaks of the city of Medellín as the most cultured city of Colombia, as a model of an innovative city. All this must be true, if it is repeated very much. we welcome the good things about Medellin. But we also know that our region is the most violent in the Country, years go by and we are not able to live together peacefully, because every day killings occur in our neighborhoods."
So the question is: "Why does one keep talking about micro-traffic (drug) when it comes to a business of more than two billion pesos a year? How can one commission a murder at a low cost? Because if there is an improvement of infrastructure, poverty does not decrease? Why doesn’t the media report the exact situation of violence that the metropolitan area lives in? "
"We are experiencing a resurgence of violence, which generates terror, misery and death. " (CE) (Agenzia Fides 18/03/2013)
- 2015-05-26 - "Stop deaths! An agreement has to be reached as soon as possible", asks Cardinal Salazar Gómez
- 2015-05-22 - In the tragedy a light of life: the funeral of 33 of the 84 deaths due to the landslide in Salgar
- 2015-05-07 - Children recruited by the FARC: they are prisoners and infected with the human papilloma virus
- 2015-05-04 - Talks resume for peace, despite the incidents and the distrust of the Colombians
- 2015-04-22 - The Episcopal Council for Peace analyzes the situation of the talks
- 2015-04-21 - Emergency for violence and attacks against minors
- 2015-04-16 - Eleven soldiers killed, the Church asks for a definitive cease-fire
- 2015-04-01 - Special care for children infected with chikungunya
- 2015-03-30 - Joy in the suffering: Sincelejo welcomes the new Bishop remembering the pastor killed
- 2015-03-25 - Concern of the Church: peace talks must continue