AMERICA/COLOMBIA - "Why are we not able to live in peace?" Asks the Archbishop of Medellin
Medellin (Agenzia Fides) - On the eve of a violent weekend in which 31 people were killed, the Archbishop of Medellin, His Exc. Mgr. Ricardo Antonio Tobon Restrepo, expressed his concern regarding the violence that plagues the city .
In a letter to the city, the Archbishop put 15 questions on the local situation, preceded by an introduction: "One speaks of the city of Medellín as the most cultured city of Colombia, as a model of an innovative city. All this must be true, if it is repeated very much. we welcome the good things about Medellin. But we also know that our region is the most violent in the Country, years go by and we are not able to live together peacefully, because every day killings occur in our neighborhoods."
So the question is: "Why does one keep talking about micro-traffic (drug) when it comes to a business of more than two billion pesos a year? How can one commission a murder at a low cost? Because if there is an improvement of infrastructure, poverty does not decrease? Why doesn’t the media report the exact situation of violence that the metropolitan area lives in? "
"We are experiencing a resurgence of violence, which generates terror, misery and death. " (CE) (Agenzia Fides 18/03/2013)
- 2014-11-21 - The request to continue peace talks: "Do not destroy the hope of Colombians"
- 2014-11-20 - Archbishop Monsalve Mejia: "The general kidnapped will soon be released"
- 2014-11-19 - Every hour two children are victims of sexual abuse
- 2014-11-18 - The Church condemns the abduction of the General and urges to continue peace talks
- 2014-11-17 - AMERICA/COLOMBIA – Peace talks have been suspended after general abducted
- 2014-11-13 - From victims of violence to the protagonists of peace
- 2014-11-12 - At least 19 countries around the world recruit child soldiers
- 2014-11-06 - "Cali is suffering a pandemic of violence", denounces Mgr. Monsalve Mejía
- 2014-10-29 - AMERICA/COLOMBIA – There is a risk of an outbreak of Chikungunya and Dengue: 4,500 cases in the last two months
- 2014-10-29 - The Colombian dioceses ask to defend the rights of the indigenous peoples of the Pacific