AMERICA/COLOMBIA - "Why are we not able to live in peace?" Asks the Archbishop of Medellin
Medellin (Agenzia Fides) - On the eve of a violent weekend in which 31 people were killed, the Archbishop of Medellin, His Exc. Mgr. Ricardo Antonio Tobon Restrepo, expressed his concern regarding the violence that plagues the city .
In a letter to the city, the Archbishop put 15 questions on the local situation, preceded by an introduction: "One speaks of the city of Medellín as the most cultured city of Colombia, as a model of an innovative city. All this must be true, if it is repeated very much. we welcome the good things about Medellin. But we also know that our region is the most violent in the Country, years go by and we are not able to live together peacefully, because every day killings occur in our neighborhoods."
So the question is: "Why does one keep talking about micro-traffic (drug) when it comes to a business of more than two billion pesos a year? How can one commission a murder at a low cost? Because if there is an improvement of infrastructure, poverty does not decrease? Why doesn’t the media report the exact situation of violence that the metropolitan area lives in? "
"We are experiencing a resurgence of violence, which generates terror, misery and death. " (CE) (Agenzia Fides 18/03/2013)
- 2014-04-12 - AMERICA/COLOMBIA –"Schools of reconciliation" are born: initiative of the Church for young people
- 2014-04-09 - Respect for human rights for the victims of landmines
- 2014-04-03 - Indigenous children continue to die of hunger and chronic malnutrition
- 2014-03-31 - First study on hidden child victims of sexual abuse
- 2014-03-31 - Peace talks: conclusion of the 22nd session
- 2014-02-27 - We Colombians cannot be indifferent to the suffering experienced by our brothers and sisters in Venezuela
- 2014-02-25 - AMERICA/COLOMBIA – Dialogue between two parties on equal terms, not between weak and powerful
- 2014-02-24 - Colombians deported from Venezuela: Catholic Bishops in border area dioceses work to provide assistance and promote peace
- 2014-02-21 - The army must be armored against corruption
- 2014-02-20 - The children of the Aboriginal community Wayuu continue to die of hunger