AMERICA/COLOMBIA - "Why are we not able to live in peace?" Asks the Archbishop of Medellin
Medellin (Agenzia Fides) - On the eve of a violent weekend in which 31 people were killed, the Archbishop of Medellin, His Exc. Mgr. Ricardo Antonio Tobon Restrepo, expressed his concern regarding the violence that plagues the city .
In a letter to the city, the Archbishop put 15 questions on the local situation, preceded by an introduction: "One speaks of the city of Medellín as the most cultured city of Colombia, as a model of an innovative city. All this must be true, if it is repeated very much. we welcome the good things about Medellin. But we also know that our region is the most violent in the Country, years go by and we are not able to live together peacefully, because every day killings occur in our neighborhoods."
So the question is: "Why does one keep talking about micro-traffic (drug) when it comes to a business of more than two billion pesos a year? How can one commission a murder at a low cost? Because if there is an improvement of infrastructure, poverty does not decrease? Why doesn’t the media report the exact situation of violence that the metropolitan area lives in? "
"We are experiencing a resurgence of violence, which generates terror, misery and death. " (CE) (Agenzia Fides 18/03/2013)
- 2014-07-11 - After the Bishops also international organizations denounce the serious situation in Chocò
- 2014-07-10 - The new President of the Episcopate reiterates that peace is the great challenge of the country
- 2014-07-09 - In the region of Chocò: "We are forgotten by all, we have no protection, people live in anguish"
- 2014-07-05 - The Assembly of Bishops begins: Analysis of social reality and new directives
- 2014-07-03 - Historic meeting between religious communities for peace in the country
- 2014-06-28 - AMERICA/COLOMBIA – IDPs are increasing: the Church appeals to the authorities to resolve the crisis
- 2014-06-27 - The Church with regards to peace talks: Consider the pain of the victims
- 2014-06-20 - "The Church has helped me to find a land": in Colombia 5.5 million internally displaced persons
- 2014-06-14 - off in Colombia, the Church calls for dialogue and mutual respect
- 2014-06-09 - "The reality of Buenaventura is still critical" denounces Mgr. Epalza