AMERICA/COLOMBIA - "Why are we not able to live in peace?" Asks the Archbishop of Medellin
Medellin (Agenzia Fides) - On the eve of a violent weekend in which 31 people were killed, the Archbishop of Medellin, His Exc. Mgr. Ricardo Antonio Tobon Restrepo, expressed his concern regarding the violence that plagues the city .
In a letter to the city, the Archbishop put 15 questions on the local situation, preceded by an introduction: "One speaks of the city of Medellín as the most cultured city of Colombia, as a model of an innovative city. All this must be true, if it is repeated very much. we welcome the good things about Medellin. But we also know that our region is the most violent in the Country, years go by and we are not able to live together peacefully, because every day killings occur in our neighborhoods."
So the question is: "Why does one keep talking about micro-traffic (drug) when it comes to a business of more than two billion pesos a year? How can one commission a murder at a low cost? Because if there is an improvement of infrastructure, poverty does not decrease? Why doesn’t the media report the exact situation of violence that the metropolitan area lives in? "
"We are experiencing a resurgence of violence, which generates terror, misery and death. " (CE) (Agenzia Fides 18/03/2013)
- 2015-03-04 - Meeting of Bishops Emeritus
- 2015-03-02 - Testimony of Mgr. Vidal: "Promises arrive in Cúcuta, never decisions"
- 2015-02-21 - Lent: multimedia “On the way to Easter”
- 2015-02-10 - The proposal of the FARC divides public opinion
- 2015-01-29 - Nearly 50 000 children victims of homicide because of armed conflict
- 2015-01-26 - We need leaders who are committed and not "deaf and dumb authorities" says Mgr. Epalza
- 2014-12-22 - Even from pain comes the hope of peace, the process continues
- 2014-12-18 - For Mgr. Falla Robles: "The unilateral cease-fire should take place without any conditions"
- 2014-12-13 - SOS of the Bishop on the proliferation of dengue fever
- 2014-12-05 - Peace talks resume December 10