ASIA/CHINA - "Pope Francis, we are looking forward to having you in China": Chinese Catholics welcome Pope Francis with great enthusiasm and happiness
Shi Jia Zhuang (Agenzia Fides) - In communion with the Universal Church the Chinese Catholics welcome Pope Francis with great enthusiasm and happiness. At 5 am on March 14, the first masses of the parishes of Beijing dedicated a prayer of thanksgiving for the election of Pope Francis. Bishops, priests and lay Catholics expressed the desire: "Pope Francis, we are looking forward to having you in China."
The majority of Chinese Catholics were glued to the TV screens and computers to watch live the election of the new Pontiff, in the middle of the night considering the 7-hour time difference. The next morning, challenging the sub-zero temperatures, crowds of the faithful in the parish churchyards stopped to exchange impressions on this night full of surprises.
According to a priest of He Bei, "this Pope reminded me of Matteo Ricci who is his confrere, Francis Xavier, although He underlined that his choice is that of Francis of Assisi.
He is one of us, simple, humble and welcoming. He inspires tenderness."
Different religious communities immediately started praying after the news of the election of the new Pope One of them said, "He is like a fresh fall from the sky in the middle of this world overwhelmed by worldly and spiritual emptiness. We pray for him, for the mission to create an oasis in the world today." (NZ) (Agenzia Fides 15/03/2013)
- 2014-07-23 - Too much time wasted in front of a computer or on cell phones, too little to read the Bible
- 2014-07-16 - Formation, communion and sharing: the Catholic community committed to summer camps for children
- 2014-06-09 - Baptisms and confirmations on the Solemnity of Pentecost, a new impetus to mission
- 2014-05-26 - 20 000 baptisms celebrated at Easter in the Catholic community in mainland China
- 2014-03-27 - Death of Mgr. Joseph Fan Zhongliang, Bishop of Shanghai: always committed to serving the Church in spite of great difficulties
- 2014-03-27 - The Archdiocese of Xi An makes a pilgrimage to the Marian Shrine of Hu Xian for the Annunciation
- 2014-03-18 - Priests and nuns in the most remote villages to help the faithful live Lent
- 2014-03-07 - The women of Zi Gong: active in the Church and in society, following the example of Mary
- 2014-03-04 - ASIA/CHINA – The formation of the laity in view of Lent intensifies
- 2014-02-27 - ASIA/CHINA – Eucharistic adoration and sobriety: message from Han Dan diocese for the new year